More praise for x360 from Japanese developers

c0_re

Banned
for full article go here

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/news/news_story.php?id=130204

"Commenting on the Japanese Mainichi Interactive games news site, according to IGN, Ouji suggested that for all its processing might, the PS3 will only show its true colours at the hands of super-talented developers, presumably due to the console's complex architectre.

In contrast, Ouiji feels that the Xbox 360 is far more developer-friendly, meaning that necessary investment for development is relatively smaller on Microsoft's shiny white hope."

OK the first couple times I heard this I took it with a grain of salt, but is Sony really pulling another emotion engine with Cell in the PS3?

Last edited by a moderator:
Talking the talk and walking the walk are different things. Let's see the games.

Sony has always overcome this "it's too difficult to code for..." mantra by releasing kick ass 1st party titles. Not to mention third party titles.

In another year this wont even be a factor.

What would suck if its true.But is it possible?I thought Sony learned from the EE and also they made sure that devs would have the appropriate tools and enviroment for easy development.

Pretty bad for Sony if all that was just hype.

If they can't handle Cell, then we don't want them. There's hundreds of PS2 developers that got their head around a far more difficult CPU in the emotion engine, and if they can handle the EE, they can handle the Cell.

This scenario reminds me of a lot of the students I TA, they all want A+'s and they all want their degrees but they don't want to work for it. I mean come on, put some effort into it and you'll get your firggin A+'s, don't haggle me for extra marks just because you got 60% on lab reports.

Yes, I'm bitter. :mad:

c0_re said:
OK the first couple times I heard this I took it with a grain of salt, but is Sony really pulling another emotion engine with Cell in the PS3?

Careful you don't strain your arm there. Saying something like that carries a lot more connotations, for some at least, than what this developer is implying.

We know Cell is more challenging, that's a given at this stage.

Titanio said:
Careful you don't strain your arm there. Saying something like that carries a lot more connotations, for some at least, than what this developer is implying.

We know Cell is more challenging, that's a given at this stage.

But far less challanging than the EE right?

I doni't mean to be negative about it I think everyone with a brain agrees the PS3 will be more powerfull and the 360 will be easier to develop for.

drpepper said:
Talking the talk and walking the walk are different things. Let's see the games.

Sony has always overcome this "it's too difficult to code for..." mantra by releasing kick ass 1st party titles. Not to mention third party titles.

In another year this wont even be a factor.

That may be true.. But overall their graphics are still quite behind the Xbox. Especially the slightly blurry, lower detail tendency of their textures. I also see that they still have some pretty significant jaggy issues even with current games. Something that seems to have been getting ignored for some time now.

I just bought a new slim line PS2 with a few games. I have been playing an Xbox and a PSP for a while now. The Games are fun on the PS2. The Graphics are lacking. I don’t see where any master developer has overcome this yet.

Thats not how sony over came that. They did so by having the lion share of the market. Sure PS2 was annoying at times to work with, but that was offset by the fact they had the most units sold at retail. You really didn't have a choice if you were a developer because publishers knew you had to be on PS2 if you wanted to make money.

You guys are failing to see the point, the point isn't about power, it's about how fast can i develop for your new system(that won't have a huge user base for years to come) without it hurting my pocket as a dev, because i have to spend an extra months learning Cell, MS made the system more efficient and faster to Develop for, in 3-4 years everyone will know that CELL destroys 360, but from a money stand point 360 looks better than Cell, and what could hurt Sony is if 360 sells well and stays ahead of sony, then devs won't make the switch and try to develop for PS3, because they can put out a game in under 18 months for 360 and make a profit.

deathstar121 said:
You guys are failing to see the point, the point isn't about power, it's about how fast can i develop for your new system(that won't have a huge user base for years to come) without it hurting my pocket as a dev, because i have to spend an extra months learning Cell, MS made the system more efficient and faster to Develop for, in 3-4 years everyone will know that CELL destroys 360, but from a money stand point 360 looks better than Cell, and what could hurt Sony is if 360 sells well and stays ahead of sony, then devs won't make the switch and try to develop for PS3, because they can put out a game in under 18 months for 360 and make a profit.
But if you know what kind of a game the interviewed guy is making for Xbox 360, I think you'll understand the game really doesn't require you to use any special parts in Cell.

http://www.xboxyde.com/gallery_2190_en.html
http://www.xboxyde.com/game_897_en.html

Last edited by a moderator:
one said:
But if you know what kind of a game the interviewed guy is making for Xbox 360, I think you'll understand the game really doesn't require you to use any special parts in Cell.

http://www.xboxyde.com/gallery_2190_en.html
http://www.xboxyde.com/game_897_en.html

If this (doesnt require any special 'parts' of cell) is true - it, imo, doesnt bode well for development on the PS3. The fact that a more simple game, that would not need complex use of the cell processor, is still more difficult to program on PS3 than 360 leads me to blieve that the development gap only widens as you need to get more and more power out of each system.

Does anyone of you know what Ouji does? He is the "general producer" for the Sakura Taisen series. That means he writes the lyrics, produce the stage shows, decide the story and characters etc. I don't think he knows much about programming, and if he does, he hasn't done any technical work for 10 years at least.

I would trust his opinion as much as George Lucas........

Everytime a hardware developer makes radical and out-of-the-mainstream design choices they risk alienating software developers.

Sony is willing to deal with this to fulfill Kutaragi's [overly] ambitious ideas.

Alpha_Spartan said:
Everytime a hardware developer makes radical and out-of-the-mainstream design choices they risk alienating software developers.

Sony is willing to deal with this to fulfill Kutaragi's [overly] ambitious ideas.

I agree, i think the only thing i would add with this particular comparison is that the developers seem to all be alluding to how it will 'cost' more to develop on the PS3. My impression is that traditionally the alienation comes because the new hardware is something new to learn, while this seems to have more of an emphasis on costs and being able to compete financially.

Well the more time you have to spend learning, testing, and trying different approaches, the more man hours it's going to take to actually get the job done.

I dont think ease of programming has ever mattered. In the end, he'll end up developing for PS3 anyway but his games just wont look that hot.

I don't think it has anything to do with "ease". With enough time (money) any developer can get the best out of the PS3. But only the big boys have the resources and favorable treatment from Sony. If you don't think it's true, then just let Kojima or Square say that they need 36 months to make the game the best it could be and Sony would say yes, and send a check with a fruit basket. Let a small time dev say the same thing and see Sony send a box for them to mail back their dev kits.

This gen will prove the assertion that there will be less exclusives and with less exclusives we see less developers getting their hands dirty with the PS3 hardware so to speak.

Back