More Japanese Support for XBOX360

Status
Not open for further replies.

jvd

Banned
According to the latest issue of Famitsu, Microsoft Japan will be making an announcement in July during which it will reveal new third-party publishers and game titles for the Xbox 360 aimed at the Japanese market. A representative from the company told the magazine that "there could be some major surprises" at the conference.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/06/29/news_6128337.html

Interesting , I wonder what it could be ? Dragon warrior for the x360 ? Single player ff for the system ? What big announcement could they make for it

It won't be anything near as significant as an FF or DQ title; there is no way MS would pass up that announcement during E3 in favor of some small time conference in Japan.

I expect second-rate franchises from some of the multiplatform majors (Konami, Capcom, Sega, etc.) to be all that is announced, unless MS is funding even more projects for third-party studios.

That would surprise me more than whatever they announce.

Oda , that isn't something i would base this on . The deal may not have been finished in time for e3 . This could have been something just recently finished . I don't think fatmisu would claim it was big if it was a small dev

Oda said:
It won't be anything near as significant as an FF or DQ title; there is no way MS would pass up that announcement during E3 in favor of some small time conference in Japan.

I expect second-rate franchises from some of the multiplatform majors (Konami, Capcom, Sega, etc.) to be all that is announced, unless MS is funding even more projects for third-party studios.

That would surprise me more than whatever they announce.

Still better than what they got this gen.

The biggest surprise I'd expect (I guess if you expect it, it wouldn't be a surprise) would be Ridge Racer as a launch title which was rumored in the latest EGM

I'd love to be shocked though

jvd said:
Oda , that isn't something i would base this on . The deal may not have been finished in time for e3 . This could have been something just recently finished . I don't think fatmisu would claim it was big if it was a small dev
Famitsu said nothing of the sort; I have the mag right here in front of me. You'd be surprised how little the mag cares about the system.

It was a rep from MS Japan that said "there could be some major surprises". The actual article is freakin' tiny as well; I'm not simply stating my opinion when I say gamers in Japan really don't give a damn about the 360.

Trust me, MS won't be able to corral anything larger than Blue Dragon (which they had to bank roll anyways) this coming gen unless they take a huge sales lead in Japan.

The problem is there are many japanese devs that are big in name that bring thier games to usa and europe . Final fantasys are just as important sales wise in the usa as they are in japan . So japan may have very little to do with it and paying money + launching first may let it get games that the ps3 wont in that tiem frame , just for the simple fact that there will be a much larger installed base for the x360 before the ps3 comes out

That is a marginally good point jvd, but not in relation to Square Enix's titles. SE is all about Japan. FF and DQ sell as many units in Japan as they do in the States despite a third of the population. These titles will never see release on the Xbox until MS can show that they can sell a ton of units in Japan. And considering history has shown the Japan usually chooses one console (and said platform sells 5x+ as much as the others) I'm telling you this will not happen.

Resident Evil is a good example of a franchise that means more in the US to Capcom then it does in Japan.

Unless they can show that it can sell as man units in america and europe on the console .

Look at it this way .

If ps3 doesn't do a world wide release in march or spring and comes out for the holidays in in the states nad europe . Ms will be close to its goal of 10 million by that time . The ps3 will most likely be around 3 million or so in japan at the time of the usa launch .

So for a developer if the money is right to pad the choice then I don't see why a big game like final fantasy can't come out on the x360 .

We aren't talking about hte ps2 and xbox here. Things will be very diffrent once the x360 comes out . Sony wont have hte installed lead that they have now

Oda said:
That is a marginally good point jvd, but not in relation to Square Enix's titles. SE is all about Japan. FF and DQ sell as many units in Japan as they do in the States despite a third of the population. These titles will never see release on the Xbox until MS can show that they can sell a ton of units in Japan. And considering history has shown the Japan usually chooses one console (and said platform sells 5x+ as much as the others) I'm telling you this will not happen.

What do you know? Where you there when Peter Moore met with Square Enix? No. Do you know SE's business plan for the next 5-10 years? No.

Maybe the fact FF sells as many units in Japan despite have 1/3 of the POP is something SE wants to change...hmmmmmm? The NA market is a juicy one. Not much room for expansion there....ever speculate on that?

Fact is MS is doing ALOT to make sure they do much much better in japan this time around, so save the random speculation, we'll know soon enough anyways.

MS needs original franchises that are going to get Japanese gamers interested in the machine, not ports of games that will be on PS3 anyway (though it wouldn't hurt to have both).

The best thing would be MS making some deals with big publishers like Square for new franchises created exclusively for X360.

"MS needs original franchises that are going to get Japanese gamers interested in the machine"

Ok, well we have Mistwalker making Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon, both exlusive new IP's.

Square Enix promising at E3 this is just the beginning, with many more games to come.

From Software, a Japanese Dev is making Enchant Arm.

Game Republic and Q Entertainment are both devloping at least one exclusive title, maybe RPG's, maybe not.

Gargoyle Mechanics a japanese dev has been signed. Rumours about Shenmue 3 but nothing confirmed.

That all. I can think of. any others?

While new exclusives are allways a good thing , you can't forget that getting a key 3rd party sony game even as a cross platform title game can be just as big of a coup .

Shenmue 3 on the 360 wouldn't be too surprising, but I don't recall Shenmue 2 Xbox making a big splash in market sales.

Perhaps it's more support from Square Enix, but I don't know if it will be at the level people expect the PS3 will have.

scooby_dooby said:
What do you know? Where you there when Peter Moore met with Square Enix? No. Do you know SE's business plan for the next 5-10 years? No.
Alright smart guy.

Where was the SE support for the Xbox? What came of the countless meetings Moore and head of MS Japan had with Square/Square Enix from 2000 to present? What happened with the 3 -- count 'em 3 -- buyout offers (as reported in Dean Takahashi's book 'Opening the Xbox') MS put in to the company in 2000 and 2001?

Why on Earth would you believe MS can so easily tie up that kind of support from SE simply because they're releasing a new console? Money? Nope, they already tried that. Do you really believe MS didn't try its damnedest to get as much Japanese support for the 1st Xbox? Where was all of that?

Hell, the only freakin' reason the 360 is even getting Final Fantasy XI is because SE has stated from the get-go that it intends to put its online titles on as many systems as possible. SE was BEGGING MS to open up their Live service to be compatible with PlayOnline for the longest time, and MS continually refused.

SE gives MS a simple port of a 3 year old (!) PS2 title (!!!!) and all of a sudden you believe that automatically equals more support. MS getting FF XI was a pity move on SE's part. Simple as that, and I stand by that statement.

I'm looking forward to the Japanese conference. More guesses?

Sega (VF would be huge), Namco (RR is rumored)... I have a feeling they're about to make a pretty good impression over there.

Oda said:
SE was BEGGING MS to open up their Live service to be compatible with PlayOnline for the longest time, and MS continually refused.

MS getting FF XI was a pity move on SE's part. Simple as that, and I stand by that statement.

uh.... so they were begging to be on it, continually refused, then MS said "Ok" and now it's a pity move?

:?:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back