More ATI RV-250 rumors...DX8 Value part.

The R(V)250 saga continues...

http://www.theinquirer.net/09040214.htm

So, the rumor now is that RV250 will be a dual pipeline DX8 part that is suppossed to directly compete with the GeForce4 MX series. If true, I think it's a very good counter-move for ATI. If the DX7 performance of the part is at least in the ballpark with the GeForce4 MX boards, then ATI will have a very "marketable" part.

Would such a part (with only 2 pixel pipes) have enough useful pixel shading power for real DX8 apps? That's a good question, but for marketing purposes, it's irrelevant. ;) A "DX8 part for $100!".

Will removing two pipelines on the R200 core cut the chip size down enough to make it compete with the NV17m cost wise?

I'm under the impression the RV-250 is to R300 as the 7500 is to the 8500...

Will removing two pipelines on the R200 core cut the chip size down enough to make it compete with the NV17m cost wise?

They may cut out on other things as well – SiS and NVIDIA are demonstrating that hardware vertex shaders are not necessarily a requirement for low cost parts.

I'm under the impression the RV-250 is to R300 as the 7500 is to the 8500...

Well, what are the code names for 7500 and 8500? Rv200 and R200 respectively; to keep true to form then the ‘small die’ Radeon 8500 would probably become Rv300.

LOL @ The Inquirer and their rumors! As to those Club3d RV250 pics , well they also say that the 7500 has Truform, SmartShader and other 8500 specific features!

The number of pipes has nothing to do with clock speed in the way that it is possible to have a faster clocked GPU with half the pipes as the original. So, in the end, in certain situations, it could be faster.

What was the code name for the original Radeon VE? IIRC it was RV100 or something along those lines.

That the RV250 is a value part doesn't come as a shock....the "V" should've been a dead giveaway. I personally, and I think a few on this board were waiting for that shoe to drop on the rumor mill.

Back