Moral rights of copyright and software ownership *spawn

Discussion in 'Politics & Ethics of Technology' started by corduroygt, Jan 1, 2011.

1. pMax

Regular Newcomer

problem is - they should explicitly ask to change any "buy" button for videogames in "rent".

It would show the truth to customers. Problem is, customers would enrage and pretend much, much lower prices...

Because you do not 'buy' games like you buy telephones.

2. Davros

Legend

Why thank you, I'm sure tkf will be overjoyed you think its fine to kill him because I could of refused.
    your in the any practice is fine, because you dont have to buy camp..

I'd move on, many people make things to sell as i have. I do not believe that I should get a cut every time something I've made is resold.

most goods go from manufacturer to wholesaler to retailers how would retailers feel having to give a cut of every sale to the manufacturer.
    so the manufacturer sells to wholesaler makes money. gets a cut when the wholesaler sells to the retailer. Gets a cut when the retailer sells to the public. if the public then sells they get another cut ect, ect, ect

3. Davros

Legend

Developers already are paid royalties from the publisher - you do like this idea of developers being paid many times over, only developers though because its software and software is somehow special

4. MrFloopy

Regular

Perhaps I wasn't clear. I was fine with your first set of statements. Your second set of statements with regards to cancer and murder were clear hyperbole which obviously didn't need answering.

To bring this conversation back to games, and the issue at hand, games are an experience, as are movies, books and music. If there is a way to do so, why shouldn't a creator be able to charge per experience?

5. pMax

Regular Newcomer

Because I bought it.
    If I buy a DVD, I pay a full price and I can resell it.
    if I rent a DVD, I pay a fraction of the cost of buying it. And then it's ok to not resell it.

6. Davros

Legend

Practically everything is an experience, riding a bike is an experience
    And now your suggesting every time i play my game I should have to pay
    A game is just a set of instructions and the things those instructions operate on
    exactly like this
    [​IMG]
    You really think every time I rebuild it lego deserve a fee ?

7. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Specious Misanthrope
    Legend

I really think that if you want games to continue to improve in asset quality you will need to pay for it. If you cannot afford to buy into their program you should probably find something else to do. If they find they cannot sustain high quality games development it will die and we can all eagerly await the next edition of knock over the pigs.

8. Davros

Legend

And that can only be done, by removing practically the last right gamers have left.
    Here's an idea
    How about E.A use some of that 1.2 billion dollars net revenue they made in the last 3 months, that should buy some quality assets
    another idea why dont they build up a library of high quality assets.

the greed of the software industry is simply staggering, they have the most favorable operating conditions of any industry ever and are they happy no
    "we only made 1.2 billion in 3 months - its all the fault of those evil people who sell their games"
    If used games disappear one day we will have publishers complaining
    "millions of people didnt buy our games, thats millions of lost sales, not buying our games is like stealing food from the mouths of developers, we need to lobby congress to outlaw not buying our games"

9. bkilian

Veteran

This is what I call "The tragedy of the common stock". It doesn't matter how much they made in the last three months, it only matters how much _more_ they made in the last three months compared to the year before. A public company that isn't growing it's revenue is dead.

10. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Eh? Out of that 1.2 billion revenus they only had a net profit of 323 million. Which sounds like a lot but isn't when you considering that in the previous quarter they LOST 45 million and in the quarter before that they LOST 381 million.

For FY 2013 they made a relatively paltry 98 million USD for a company of their size. FY 2012 they only made 76 million USD in net profit. All of that doesn't even cover the money they lost from FY 2011 where they LOST 276 million USD.

EA are certainly not a shining beacon of a company making money hand over fist. They are barely making money and when they lose money, they lose more than they make in multiple years.

EA is a perfect example of how fragile the game development business is. All it takes is one high budget AAA game absolutely tanking to have EA possibly enter bankruptcy court like THQ and many other publishers before them. One benefit that EA has, however, is that due to their size and relatively stable performance over the years, their creditors are far more lenient and less likely to deny credit when they are losing money.

Take away creditor good will towards EA and they are just a single bad title away from potentially going out of business.

Regards,
    SB

11. Silent_Buddha

Legend

That is certainly a problem for public companies, Microsoft suffers quite a bit due to this despite consistent stellar performance and profit in the billions.

However, that only applies tangentially to EA. EA really are performing quite badly financially. Long term they haven't been particularly profitable for quite a while now. They are basically performing just well enough to stay in business and not much more.

It would be a huge improvement if they could actually post profits regularly, which they can't do.

Regards,
    SB

12. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Specious Misanthrope
    Legend

Take EA's best selling title out of the profit column and how well did they do last year? Or any year. They've been running one big hit away from bankruptcy for years.

13. Orion

Regular Newcomer

Yes but that doesn't stop ingame advertising, and monetizing.

Copyright should disappear, as should all forms of censorship. Information must be free. Advertising, donations, monetization should finance development of new content.

14. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran Subscriber

It's interesting that this thread has been revived.

In Portugal, they're about to validate a law that puts an extra tax over every device capable of recording data... on the grounds that this is the tax that legalizes the creation of personal copies of media that was legitimately purchased.
    Supposedly, the money goes to the "Authors' Society" in the country.

So if I purchase a hard drive to keep my family photos, videos and selfies, I must pay this tax which gives money to the country's "artists".

The tax is applied per-GB (in 5 years everyone will be paying the maximum values, obviously) and it can go up to 25€.
    25€ + 23% VAT... because this is Portugal, the country of government taxes that are taxed (illegal in the EU, but they do it anyway).

15. orangpelupa

orangpelupa Elite Bug Hunter
    Legend Veteran

valve also got sued in australia for not giving refund.

btw Origin do able to give refund.