Monitor error

zed

Legend
For a few weeks now, when I turn my PC on in the morning I get a red vertical row of pixels 10% in from the left side of the screen. After about 5 minutes they disappear, so its not an issue atm but Im worried one day they mighnt. A few weeks ago I had a fly inside the monitor for a few days moving around (I assume it eventually died) perhaps it caused this issue.
Anyways has anyone heard of something like this before & can I fix it?

ta zed

For a few weeks now, when I turn my PC on in the morning I get a red vertical row of pixels 10% in from the left side of the screen. After about 5 minutes they disappear, so its not an issue atm but Im worried one day they mighnt. A few weeks ago I had a fly inside the monitor for a few days moving around (I assume it eventually died) perhaps it caused this issue.
Anyways has anyone heard of something like this before & can I fix it?

ta zed

Sounds like either your fly is short circuiting paths or you have bad solder which with time heats up and 'fixes' itself. Resoldering circuits should help but usually you have to do it for BGA chips on board which is tricky without proper equipment. Quick and easy but not safe option is to bake whole circuit board in oven or if you have soldering torch use it instead.

Perhaps it is easier to just open up the monitor and remove the dead fly first of all, before starting to bake and/or torch circuit boards and whatnot.

Interesting parallel to that one time where the 'computer bug' expression first entered our vernacular, due to an actual bug ending up in a mechanical computer relay, causing a malfunction...

maybe try using another cable first? plug it in different port.

its possible that the fly is just a coincidence and have no relation to the problem.

Ive taken a photo
monitor.jpg

like I said it goes away after 5 minutes, but it someday it doesnt go away Im gonna have to open it up. Yes perhaps its not related to the fly but it is coincidence Ive had it for ~5 years. 1920x1200 24" 16:10
Ive been wanting to get a better res one for ages, but prices arent coming down. & Nowadays most monitors are 16:9 thus downgrade of what I have now

Ive taken a photo
monitor.jpg

like I said it goes away after 5 minutes, but it someday it doesnt go away Im gonna have to open it up. Yes perhaps its not related to the fly but it is coincidence Ive had it for ~5 years. 1920x1200 24" 16:10
Ive been wanting to get a better res one for ages, but prices arent coming down. & Nowadays most monitors are 16:9 thus downgrade of what I have now

I'm in same boat regarding monitor upgrade. 1920x1200 can only be replaced by something 1440p at least :devilish:.

27" 1440P is magnificient for gaming. ...Just sayin. :p Also, 1440 > 1200, so it's an upgrade in vertical resolution as well.

My 5 years old Dell 24" LCD monitor has the same problem, except it's on the right and it's yellow. :p It's also an 1920x1200 16:10 panel.
AFAIK it's a panel problem. Since it disappears after a few minutes and it's an old monitor I don't worry about it too much.

Looks like my Sharp TV at home, but it doesn't go away :) Thankfully watching TV with motion you barely notice it most of the time and I can procrastinate longer on buying a new TV.

My 5 years old Dell 24" LCD monitor has the same problem, except it's on the right and it's yellow. :p It's also an 1920x1200 16:10 panel.
AFAIK it's a panel problem. Since it disappears after a few minutes and it's an old monitor I don't worry about it too much.
Mine also a Dell about 5 years old. So perhaps theyre the same model.

I do have my eye on this Its under $1000NZ (I never spent more than a grand on a monitor)
AOC U2868PQU 28 3840x2160 Resolution, 80,000,000:1 Contrast Ratio, 1ms Response Time, 300 cd/m2 Brightness

the thing is its 28"
In fact all the monitors with larger resolutions than what I have now are 27"/28"

Personally I dont want bigger I want smaller Give me ~20" but with high res, I had hopes when apple released those laptops with high res screens that they would become commoner faster than whats happened so far

80M:1 is dynamic (IE: lying) contrast ratio, unless it has the same light output capability as the sun on a bright day (and you already said it doesn't). And 1MS response time means TN panel, so crap contrast, angles, colors.

Caveat emptor!

(Of course, ALL 4k monitors that don't cost 3000 dollars or more are TN panel right now, so... Meh.)

27" 1440P is magnificient for gaming. ...Just sayin. :p Also, 1440 > 1200, so it's an upgrade in vertical resolution as well.

Yes, i could never come back to lower size after it.. I will not worry much of the vertical height.. 1440 is allready big, clearly enough if you upgrade from a 1200 panel... even more from a 1080p panel.

Last edited by a moderator:
80M:1 is dynamic (IE: lying) contrast ratio, unless it has the same light output capability as the sun on a bright day (and you already said it doesn't). And 1MS response time means TN panel, so crap contrast, angles, colors.
Im not wanting this monitor like I said too big
It seems it has a 1000:1 contrast
Viewing angles is a zero issue, even in the old days.
Sure if you're got a tv and lots of ppl watching it, but a PC monitor you stick in front of your face, in fact I want less viewing angle on my laptop, so ppl cant see what Im doing on it whilst out in public

its too new to be reviewed yet but its smaller cousin was recently reviewed I expect this to be similar
http://pcmonitors.info/reviews/aoc-q2770pqu
Monitors with ‘WQHD’ (2560 x 1440) resolutions are nothing new and are now an attractive choice for many users looking for good all-round performance. The AOC q2770Pqu is the company’s first and so far only ‘WQHD’ monitor, slipping in alongside some well-established models such as the Dell U2713HM and ASUS PB278Q. One particularly appealing aspect of AOC’s offering is of course the price, which at £350 at time of writing is by far the cheapest 2560 x 1440 offering from a mainstream manufacturer.

Nothing about its performance really suggested that AOC were cutting any corners to put out a lower cost but somehow inferior product. And in some respects this model offers even more than some of the more expensive offerings from other manufacturers. The image was pleasing straight from the box and after a few minor adjustment ticked all the important boxes. Colours were rich, vibrant and varied but at the same time accurately represented.

Sure if you're got a tv and lots of ppl watching it, but a PC monitor you stick in front of your face, in fact I want less viewing angle on my laptop, so ppl cant see what Im doing on it whilst out in public

I'll tend to use a wooden chair or such to sit at the computer desk but will happily sit or lie on more comfortable furniture to watch video.
Also, viewing angles mean even the color accuracy is compromised, the color of an object will change depending on where you move it on the screen - here a smaller monitor will help make the issue smaller, e.g. I don't see any wrong in using a 9" TN.

That said using the top grade, latest and greatest TN stuff can possibly be decent to use if you don't care about the vertical angles.

Viewing angles is a zero issue, even in the old days.
I would disagree on that one. TN, and even VA, has (sometimes a lot of) contrast shift even when the angles move just slightly - like you changing position in your computer chair. Especially in dark areas of the screen. If you ever play games where there's a lot of dark graphics this gets tiresome real quick.

But hey... Whatever floats your boat. :)

I would disagree on that one. TN, and even VA, has (sometimes a lot of) contrast shift even when the angles move just slightly - like you changing position in your computer chair. Especially in dark areas of the screen. If you ever play games where there's a lot of dark graphics this gets tiresome real quick.

But hey... Whatever floats your boat. :)

Thoses TN panels are effectively suffer from angles view... but for what i have read ALL other bad things about TN are not in thoses new 10bits panels.. Color are excellents, black are as black of PLS panels ( i use a PLS panels ) .. they dont suffer of the grain problems you was seeing on cheap TN 22-24" panels who was so common on low cost monitor .. ( black parts specially easy to see on movies ).. As for TN, i have use bad colors one and excellent one ( one samsung 21" who have stay as reference in many review for color DeltaE and gammuts ).. all is to know if they are calibrate on the fabs or not.. Its a question of price.. not a question of quality of the panel.

Thoses panels are not the old cheap TN... 10bits pixels color do a great differences in the banding color , uniformity of contrast and color and the resolution do the rest..

I really dont know why peoples want absolutely refer to the old cheap TN...

Ofc with 10bits you need a gpu capable of it. so never use thoses monitor on actual Nvidia gpu's.. ( AMD use 10bits LUT dithered to 8bits even with 8bits monitors ( no banding ), when nvidia only use 8bits )

Last edited by a moderator:
Back