Mobile GFFX's

I can't imagine the GeForceFX Go5200 (quite a mouthful!) will be overly popular on the 0.15 micron process. Surely, at clock rates "up to 300MHz" it will have similar high power consumption as does the GF4 Go4200?

It will be interesting to see how the M10 compares to these chips...

No point starting a new thread about this:

The Future of Mobile Gaming: New Chips from ATI and NVIDIA

This is something I've been waiting to hear mentioned...

Another feature that the Mobility Radeon 9600 Pro offers is what ATI calls OVERDRIVE. OVERDRIVE is an automatic overclocking utility that is available for use in the drivers. The utility makes use of an on chip thermal diode to monitor temperature and overclock until a specific temperature or clock speed limit is reached. The OVERDRIVE feature is interesting on paper but we will have to wait until we get our hands on a notebook using the Mobility Radeon 9600 Pro before we can judge its effectiveness. It does sound like a good solution for desktop replacement and high performance gaming notebooks but will undoubtedly effect battery life while enabled.

MuFu.

Wow...ATI integrating 128 MB Ram with the core on one package? :oops:

As for overdrive...very interested in the specifics.

At first glance, it at least seems a more honest approach / representation to have the chip specs published at the non overclocked rate, and advertise an "overdrive" feature, vs. advertise the specs at the overclocked rate, and advertise a "down-clock" ability.

I am very confused about the mention of G-DDR2-M ram. Anand is about as clear as mud in terms of what actually it is. He says it's not like DDR-II, but it is like DDR-II? It has some "effective" clock rate beyond 2x it's speed rating? Me confused. :?

Edit....upon reading that section again, it just seems like the Mobility 9600 Pro doesn't have memory speeds finalized yet, though it's expected to be between 300 and 450 Mhz "DDR" (600 and 900 Mhz effective.)

The memory speeds will likely be entirely up to the manufacturer integrating the chip into their notebook... clock speeds for core and ram will be very dependant on the type and design of the machine, so i wouldn't expect a defined speed. (not from ATI anyway)

Back