Mizuchi game engine

WOW, those materials....

So if I am reading this correctly demo was done on a 780ti 1080p 30fps using deferred setup?

WOW, those materials....

So if I am reading this correctly demo was done on a 780ti 1080p 30fps using deferred setup?

So with some optimizing PS4 should be able to achieve something close to this at 720P 30fps? I could live with that if it look this good.

So with some optimizing PS4 should be able to achieve something close to this at 720P 30fps? I could live with that if it look this good.

I doubt a drop in resolution and lower level hardware access is going to make up for the vast amount of difference in computing power between a 780ti coupled to a high end cpu and the ps4 apu.

The reason why it runs so slow is because the lack of LOD (running 10 million polygons per frame) and the AA solution (super sampling).

Throw in some LOD & normal & heightmaps to reduce geometry, mipmapping, s3 texture compression, precalculate some of the lighting, maybe lower the res and you are good to go.

Last edited by a moderator:
I doubt a drop in resolution and lower level hardware access is going to make up for the vast amount of difference in computing power between a 780ti coupled to a high end cpu and the ps4 apu.

Why not? if this is being done at 1080P 30FPS on a GPU that's 2.73 x more powerful than the PS4 GPU why wouldn't the PS4 be able to achieve something close to it at a resolution pushing a lot less pixels ( 921600 vs 2073600 pixels) with some optimization?

Damn this looks good.

Ugh, dragging consoles into this thread already, I'm out.

This looks more like a "cut scene" engine. I'm not sure if it's designed for "interactive" type rendering.

Well in the article they clearly say they are targeting PS4/X1 hardware. The major obstacle they are tackling (everyone is) is aliasing. Because PBR + IBL + High Poly + High contrast (as they say in the power point) = Aliasing HELL.

They seem to be dealing doing:

Toksvig normal mapping, a temporal G-Buffer filter, FXAA then a Temporal AA component which they are calling Temporal super sampling (history buffer).

Temporal Supersampling would require rendering the same point at different time intervals between previous frame and next frame and averaging. If they're using a history of previous frames, that'd be upscaling/interpolating.

-1 to Silicon Studio for technical accuracy. ;)

Temporal Supersampling would require rendering the same point at different time intervals between previous frame and next frame and averaging. If they're using a history of previous frames, that'd be upscaling/interpolating.

-1 to Silicon Studio for technical accuracy. ;)

Well, in their defense, that innacurate terminology is sort of a trend now which they did not start. From the top of my head I've seen crytek, ubisoft, nvidia, as wel as guerrilla and suckerpunch if I'm not mistaken describe similar solutions the same way

These guys are also behind "Paradox3D Engine"

http://paradox3d.net/

Definitely loving this fresh engine, for managed C# devs.. Has a great shaders story, and tight integration with VS and good asset/resource studio..

It's heading in the right direction to win over the millions of .NET windows devs that also do crossplatform (iOS/Android) work on Xamarin etc...

Last edited by a moderator:
Very static environments, a lot of screen space effects (with visible artifacts). It's cool, I guess, but not really groundbreaking.

That said, I wish I did that! ;)

PS4 Demo to be shown at GDC

- "Mizuchi"
We will be showcasing the tools included in the physical based rendering engine, "Mizuchi". We will be presenting the workflow of how "Mizuchi" can actually be applied using the real-time demo "Museum" which we released last year. There will be a PC demo version as well as a real-time demo using PlayStation®4. There will also be a demo session which will highlight the main features of "Mizuchi" (see below for details).

http://www.siliconstudio.co.jp/en/news/pressreleases/2015/en1502gdc.html

It would be weird for a japanese developer to focus on an engine that could only be possible in a PC.
AFAIK, the PC in Japan is mostly used for visual novels and little else. Anything high-performance-ish would be made for consoles first.

I hope they release the demo to the public, both the PS4 and the PC versions.

It would be weird for a japanese developer to focus on an engine that could only be possible in a PC.
AFAIK, the PC in Japan is mostly used for visual novels and little else. Anything high-performance-ish would be made for consoles first.

I hope they release the demo to the public, both the PS4 and the PC versions.

PC is actually fairly popular in Japan for indie game development. This shouldn't be that much of a surprise as Arcades still exist in Japan, and Arcade cabinets are populated by PCs. Also PC revenue for Japanese game development houses is on the increase. Capcom and SEGA have been in on that for awhile. Square Enix as well. But even Konami are now seeing increased sales from PC (http://www.dsogaming.com/news/pc-be...creased-by-8-performing-better-than-xbox-one/ ). 1/2 of PS4 sales and more than XBO sales.

High perf. PCs are also fairly popular in Japan. Just take a stroll down to Akihabara, or any local PC shop or PC/electronics chain. It's just that games have been traditionally hard to get, but that has been changing.

So it makes sense for that a Japanese engine developer may want to focus on PC + console. However, the attraction of the engine will be more limited if it doesn't work on both PS4 and XBO. So I wonder if they're also working on an XBO version, but just that it isn't ready to be shown to the public.

Regards,
SB

Back