MIT Students Experience PS3's Cell

Discussion in 'CellPerformance@B3D' started by "Nerve-Damage", Apr 21, 2007.

1. "Nerve-Damage"

Regular

MIT Students Experience PS3's Cell

Cool...very, very, very cool.

2. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

Any likely application spinoffs for PS3?

3. "Nerve-Damage"

Regular

I would think so; to a certain degree. But I see it more as a sharing of ideals on solving parallel programming as a whole, rather than PS3 eccentric programming. The PS3 hardware just happens to be the catalyst in helping it along.

Don’t get me wrong…

I definitely see Sony & some game developers going after these guys & gals for their highly tuned PS3 (Cell) skills. :wink:

4. standing ovation

Regular

Yeah. The class seemed to be about problem-solving with Cell. And PlayStation 3 was probably the most economical means of accessing the processor, as the multi-Cell PCs that Mercury Computer Systems is using aren't cheap. :huh:

5. Shifty Geezer

Moderator Legend

Sure. Presumably though they were working on real applications though, and some of these like image manipulation would have a place on PS3. Or were the tasks tackled all industrial and scientific applications, and nothing 'fun'?

6. LunchBox

Regular

Just curious... Does anybody know what did they actually do with Cell?

did they make their own application or a game or something?

#6 LunchBox, Apr 22, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2007
  7. "Nerve-Damage"

Regular

Applications yes; games I highly doubts it. I can guarantee you Sony didn’t give any (Tools/APIs) access to the RSX. But that’s not to say; a graphic demo(s) wasn’t created using the Cell rendering capabilities.

8. standing ovation

Regular

M.I.T. is like Woodstock for geeks -- it's were nerds go to get high. What they find intoxicating would probably make the rest of us nauseous or insane. So I've got a hunch they were knee deep in science. :lol2:

Wouldn't it be ironic if the most unsavory part of the course was lugging PlayStation 3 back to the dorm room for the requisite gaming and movie viewing? Oh, the humanity!

9. Carl B

Carl B Friends call me xbd
    Moderator Legend

If this isn't a nerd forum, then what is?

I think a lot of us are rather proud of the technology culture around here; remember - tech first, gaming second. This isn't a site called "BeyondGaming" afterall. ;)

10. standing ovation

Regular

I was speaking -- satirically -- about members of an institution, not a forum.

11. "Nerve-Damage"

Regular

I think Carl B was playing off you're post as you were playing off Shifty post. Just in good fun... :grin:

12. Carl B

Moderator Legend

Actually I was just trying to make sure that when Standing Ovation was saying: What they find intoxicating would probably make the rest of us nauseous or insane... he wasn't speaking for... well... us. ;)

#12 Carl B, Apr 23, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2007
  13. standing ovation

Regular

The geeks I am talking about can barely function in society (think Rain Man) yet ooze genius in the most obtuse areas. This is the sort that would, say, validate String theory to stave off boredom.

Now most of the population -- the rest of us -- are exempt from this metric. :smile2:

14. "Nerve-Damage"

Regular

Update:

Pong...why not!? :lol:

15. Carl B

Moderator Legend

Standing Ovation, let me put this another way for you - I'm friends with several MIT graduates, and they are all normal, socially well adjusted members of society. Love of science and technology is not mutually exclusive to a love of life.

So... I personally know "the sort" very well, and you have them mis-characterized here with the Rain Man analogies. ;)

(PS - What's wrong with String Theory discussion?)

Back on topic though, which is the studies, not the students.

#15 Carl B, Apr 24, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2007
  16. patsu

Legend

Good thing none of them are game designers. It also depends on the available development time, and whether Linux has the right access to the gaming hardware. So I think the closing question "What to do with Cell power in games ?" is not fitting here.

I had a different focus. I wanted to do something accessible from the Game OS. So I did a very simple Flash 3D world to experiment with social network games. Unfortunately Playstation Home totally crushed the idea. Now I'm homebrew-less (just waiting for Home beta :( ).

The next thing I was going to try is to do a process control application/game in Linux... like controlling a turret by using a web camera as "eyes" and SIXAXIS as the steering wheel. But I have not explored far enough yet.

17. Rainbow Man

Veteran

I'm sure they are. Yet I think Stnading has somewhat of a point though because it's a fairly well documented phenomenon that highly gifted people (in theoretical sciences but also other aspects of creativity) are more often more or less stunted on the social level compared to society as a whole.

I guess that was what he was hihting at but maybe not expressing it in the way needed for you to understand it. :cool:

Just think of Einstein or Mozart to mention but two examples. Both geniuses in their own way but rather inept at things regarding family life etc.

oPeace.

18. Shifty Geezer

Moderator Legend

Treading on dodgy ground there. Few people are of the genius level of Mozart and Einstein. Just going to MIT doesn't put you way up there. And if you look at how many ordinary, thick people screw up relationships too, it's a not a phenomenum linked to super-sized brains. But this is OT.

No pics of the Pong game? I was expecting a raytraced renderer, but I'm disappointed. It's a quick and easy and inefficient solution. I'd have preferred to see someone make a start on a rasterizer. The speech synthesis is the only intriguing choice named above. It'll be a feature that could be included in other Cell applications.

19. Fred

Newcomer

Einstein was one of the first worldwide 'media' stars. Consequently he had a rather cavalier lifestyle; as hundreds of women basically throwed themselves at his feet. He was one of histories great 'bachelors' for many years.

So like most celebrities, his personel life 'suffered' (if you could call it that) from perpetual distractions (not unlike Mozart). Otoh he also had many long term relationships, was extremely commited to them and had many healthy friendships with women. In short, he was about as un 'nerdy' as you could possibly come, and dare I say it, rather normal in that regard.

20. standing ovation

Regular

I was trying to show a contrast -- the people who are most likely to be given PlayStation 3 (I cannot imagine the entire class would be huddled around one console!) are the least likely to be enamored by its entertainment value as much as its technological merit, hence the M.I.T. caricature. But the more Carl questioned its satire the grosser the exaggeration became.

He's is right though. You don't have to be a genius to go to M.I.T., just smart. :wink2:

But as far as the (seemingly) simple projects go, the four-week activity seems to have occurred during the semester, while students were already juggling their regular courses.