"Mistwalker Interview: Hironobu Sakaguchi"

By the way, something I just thought of... why did you post a link to another forum when you had a direct link posted as well? Is there something important in there, that I'm not seeing?

It's hard to really get a sense of those games from that interview, but the man and his team are some of my most respected personalities in the video game world. I hope that they are truly revolutionary. Well, I don't even care really - I just hope they're really good (story, gameplay-wise)! ;)

If they are good, I have to say I hope they get ported eventually or something though. My wanting that has nothing to do with any dislike of the 360, it's just I really would rather not have to get all three consoles this gen to enjoy the games I prefer. My A/V setup is very minimalist in nature, and the GameCube last gen was even something I was going to forego entirely. But I got it for a present one day and thank god I did.

I mean, where would I put all this junk (three consoles)???

But again - Sakaguchi, he's the man.

You know, to be honest i have to disagree. Reading the interview I'm walking away a little worried. I get the feeling Sakaguchi just went... "Hmmm, blahblahblah is quite talented I should hire him to work on my game." It's obviously not that simple, talent is one thing, but what's important is a team that works well together. For example, you could buy a new PC with a 7800GTX for gaming, but if the CPU is still A pentium 133Mhz it's pointless (yes, I know that can't happen).

I look at it like this: Takehiko's art style IS amazing, but it's heavily tied to the personality and drama of his characters and stories, which he had nothing to do with in the game. Shigematsu has never written anything for a game and may not be able to make the transition properly -- just because you can write literature doesn't mean you can write game stories. I could go on and on... but the point I'm trying to get across is A) the teams a re completely untested and B) having a bunch of famous talented people on the job doesn't necesarily mean things will mesh perfectly well -- a hodgepodge of good ideas doesn't necesarily translate into something good.

Anyway, I'm taking a wait and see atitude... the way Sakaguchi seems to be approaching this has me a little worried.

I agree with your points 'A' and 'B' Mefisutoferesu, absolutely. I still have hopes though that the project will pan out. Certainly it's a 'dream team' of development, but like you said strong individual players don't always translate into a good team dynamic.

If the games turn out only 'ok,' well no sweat off my back since I'm in my 'living room/bedroom aesthetics mode' anyway (and have been for years), and am trying to have as few electronics as possible. They would have to be really somethign in any event for me to hold on to a 360 'just' for them, but I am one of those who got a Playstation initially for FFVII and FFVII alone so a truly outstanding RPG will have clout with me.

The release dates are such though that any number of criteria, alternatives, or factors may creep into my console equation between now and then.

With the team thats been assembled at Mystwalker, they have the ability to create a game on the magnitudes of Chrono Trigger. Theres alot of creative juices in Mystwalker and the potential is huge, this is the one Company that i'm actually really really anticipating on what they'll be able to deliver.

Blue Dragon sounds cutsee but with an underlying seriousness to it (which is very cool if they get it right). Lost Odyssey has the potential to be truly epic. Also, i'm a fan of the Middle Age/Machine Age type of setting (as seen in FFVI), its really cool that this is going to be the setting. I honestly can't wait.

so now having renowned developers, artists and authors is a BAD thing? Give me a break guys.

Surely you can see how ridiculously pessamistic you're being. This guy created FF, he was promoted to PRESIDENT of square USA in 1995. The development for Lost Odyssey is being handled by Feel Plus, a MS created development studio which contains 10-20% ex square employees. Why is there ANY reason to think these games won't be drop-dead awesome!?

Mistwalker is a small 10-15 person studio, they are leading on the direction and the thinking behind the game, production is being handled by two very talented and experienced developers, Feel Plus for lost odyssey and Artoon for Blue Dragon.

Feel Plus was created by MS strictly for 360 development, they have over 100 developers, and as I've said contains 10-20% ex square employess. Artoon showed their TECHNICAL skills with Blinx2 which was a pretty impressive game technically.

With such talented people leadign the project, as well as the experienced workhorses to get it down, I don't see where the pessimism and doubt stems from.

BlueTsunami said:
Also, i'm a fan of the Middle Age/Machine Age type of setting (as seen in FFVI), its really cool that this is going to be the setting. I honestly can't wait.

Seeing FF6 mentioned like 4 times has gotten me very excited!

Hey there, I'm hardly being a voice of pessimism over here Scooby. ;) No one in this thread has spoken about their hopes for these games to the extent I have, and I give major respect to the minds developing it. I'm just saying that Mefisutoferesu hasda point when he said that we can't take the 'awesomness' of these games to be a forgone conclusion.

This is a team of greats though no doubt - and a good number of my favorite RPGs have been touched by their hands.

Last edited by a moderator:
xbdestroya said:
Hey there, I'm hardly being a voice of pessimism over here. No one in this thread has spoken about their hopes for these games to the extent I have, and I give major respect to the minds developing it. I'm just saying that Mefisutoferesu hasda point when he said that we can't take the 'awesomness' of these games to be a forgone conclusion.

This is a team of greats though no doubt - and a good number of my favorite RPGs have been touched by their hands.

That is true, masterpieces that are Chrono Trigger, FFVI etc etc can't pop out of thin air but I honestly believe that the "ingredients" are there for a wonderful RPG to be made. Mix in a dash of next gen visuals "wow factor" and you got a great reason to anticipate both of these games.

I can honestly see why Mystwalker was made...I truly belive SE (SquareEnix) is turning into Japans version of EA :cries:

xbdestroya said:
Hey there, I'm hardly being a voice of pessimism over here Scooby. ;) No one in this thread has spoken about their hopes for these games to the extent I have, and I give major respect to the minds developing it. I'm just saying that Mefisutoferesu hasda point when he said that we can't take the 'awesomness' of these games to be a forgone conclusion.

well put, i agree :p

Blue Dragon = Artoon
Lost Odyssey = Feel Plus & Microsoft Game Studio with Unreal Engine 3
(and 99 Nights = Phantagram)

That's what I see.

DudeMiester said:
So that makes Mystwalker an IP company? lol
Yes, that is the idea. Sakaguchi didn't like how at Square you had huge development teams that you couldn't leave idle while you planned the next game. So he created Mistwalker so he could spend as much time in pre-production as needed and then outsource the game. Thats what he has said in interviews, anyway.

So, I guess that means Lost Odyssey is the first UE3 game that doesn't look like a UE3 game. Well, aside from FCK, which looks sad.

Back