Missing data after using PS3 xfer utility?

goonergaz

Veteran
This is odd, I did a data xfer and altho all my games were moved (and it appears maybe 1 game data file is missing) there appears to be ~29GB missing?

I come to this conclusion because the old PS3 says 318/465 free (so I assume ~ 147gb used) and the new PS3 says 123/232 free (so 109gb used) - this is is a 38GB difference, but the game data missing is singstar (12GB) so I'm still missing ~26GB...

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance :)

Doesn't the PS3 reserve a set percentage of the total disk size for system use? Could that fluctuation account for the difference you're seeing?

That sounds about right. PS3 reserves a percentage of capacity, so there won't be a uniform difference between different capacity HDDs.

Well I can pretty much confirm this to be 100% accurate, which is a bit of a PITB!

I restored all the data back and have 330GB free (so there's 12GB 'lost' which is the singstar data)...so this basically confirms that Sony are putting by 10% of the HDD for the PS3, so have lost 50GB of my 500GB - in effect my 500GB HDD is 'only' 415GB in reality. Sony need to either cap this or have a scale dependant on the HDD size, I mean, if I install a 1TB HDD I'd lose 100GB!!

TBH it doesn't make a huge amount of sense for a large PS3 internal drive. If you want that much media storage, a NAS makes far more sense. That may have been the thinking prior to finalising the PS3 HDD format, hence a lot of waste that was never intended on the anticipated typical 40-80-120GB HDDs.

TBH it doesn't make a huge amount of sense for a large PS3 internal drive. If you want that much media storage, a NAS makes far more sense. That may have been the thinking prior to finalising the PS3 HDD format, hence a lot of waste that was never intended on the anticipated typical 40-80-120GB HDDs.

I can see the logic, however with PS+ my HDD is filling up quicker than ever - maybe a spring-clean would help, but to have ~150GB on the HDD (and I need to re-instal a few games I deleted to save time) that's quite a lot...imagine after 2 more years - and that's with no demos or trial games installed or personal pics/videos either!

I upgraded my office PS3 to 500 Gb yesterday. The restore tool didn't work on first try. So all my old game saves and purchased video didn't make it over. I couldn't be bothered to troubleshoot. Called their helpdesk.

After escalating to their manager, they allowed me to redownload all my videos again from PS Store. That's about 30 episodes and a few movies. Some of them are on the other PS3, some I removed accidentally (Gone 4ever !). Happy to have all back on one PS3 now !

Tomorrow, I shall download Under Siege and my free PSN outage games.

Back