Minimum GPU for decent 4K playback on an old Phenom II HTPC?

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
It currently has a 680 in it and trying to play 4k goes from out of sync to slideshow fast. Would a GPU upgrade be enough? Something that can handle hardware acceleration better? My wife got herself a 65" 4K for the bedroom to replace a 42" 1080 is the sudden reason for the interest. Thanks in advance.

Cheapest option to play media content is to pickup an actual dedicated 4K streaming device. Stop using PCs as clients and embrace the dedicated devices.

If need be, also setup a local Emby/Jellyfin/Plex server for local content.

Sorry, just something for local content.
If need be, also setup a local Emby/Jellyfin/Plex server for local content.
I'm gonna google that until I understand it, thanks! :)

EDITED BITS: The new TV has Google TV built in and streams Amazon Prime just fine, this is just about the PC bit because of course it's about a PC bit. ;)

Yeah, go setup Plex/Emby/JellyFin Server [ on the PC that hosts the local content ], then use an Android App on the Google TV to play the content served from the Server. Some of the apps can even browse network shares for files too.

or just use VLC android and let it browse SMB shares.

the UX is way worse than plex/emby/jellyfin tho.

You don't necessarily need Plex/Emby/JellyFin server on the PC, you could just share the files and run Kodi on the Android TV to playback.
Does Kodi actually play everything? Usually when I try to use media player software on roku/android/ios, it won't play the file I want it to play. Plex works every time. I swear I could shove a VHS tape in a 5.25" bay and Plex would play it.

Last edited:
Does Kodi actually play everything? Usually when I try to use media player software on roku/android/ios, it won't play the file I want it to play. Plex works every time. I swear I could shove a VHS tape a 5.25" bay and Plex would play it.
I've not encountered anything it can't play, I've used it for a couple of decades now. Supports all types of audio and video, including HDR, DV etc. The only problem it has currently is that ffmpeg doesn't recognize DV metadata in an MKV container which is apparently fixed in the next version of Kodi coming, but that was an issue with ffmpeg itself rather than Kodi.

Back