Mini DS review (mainstream press)

I managed 7 1/2 hours of battery life on a single charge, playing graphics-intensive games, blasting the music through the stereo speakers and connecting online with another DS.

Seven and a half hours of battery life playing Metroid: Hunters with wireless on.. now that's impressive.

Teasy said:
Seven and a half hours of battery life playing Metroid: Hunters with wireless on.. now that's impressive.

Definately could be. Not sure what his mix was (i.e. did he play MP-H online for those 7.5 hours? Was there a break where the DS was off, etc.)

Wondering about his comments about viewing angle though. This is something the PSP has undergone some revisions for (we have #4 aka R) and not for the better. The angle has increased but the PQ has suffered quite a bit.

Okay, I think I'm at a point where despite my slight contempt for the PSP.. I'm praying for Sony to get the battery life up.

Nintendo needs competition to evolve! To force them to push forward!

7.5 hrs battery life playing MP:H with speakers blasting and some wireless LAN is impressive regardless of how you want to spin it. It's not like NDS needs a freaking $50 1800mAh battery to achieve this.

Who is trying to spin anything? I'm the one the started the thread in the first place. All I'm asking is for better standard to certain specs. And what does the PSP battery have to do with this? Sheesh.

PC-Engine said:
It's not like NDS needs a freaking $50 1800mAh battery to achieve this.

Which planet do you live on, you troll? Around here, a 2300mAh battery costs like $3.50 street-price bought in a consumer electronics store.

Why don't you take your hate someplace else, troll?

Guden Oden said:
PC-Engine said:

Which planet do you live on, you troll? Around here, a 2300mAh battery costs like $3.50 street-price bought in a consumer electronics store.

You mean a single 1.2V AA NiMH cell? :LOL:

Let me know when you can get a 1800mAh 3.6V Li-ion PSP battery for $3.50... ;)

I think the appropriate question is..what planet do YOU live on? :LOL:

"And even when it does come out, the DS will remain the only game system with two screens and touch sensitivity."

Duh... Sounded like a nintendo fan boy to me.

Wondering about his comments about viewing angle though. This is something the PSP has undergone some revisions for (we have #4 aka R) and not for the better. The angle has increased but the PQ has suffered quite a bit.
Can you elaborate on this? Are you developing something for PSP, and what are the revisions you talk about? Was the PSP model shown at TGS2K4, the final unit? (those had basically the same screen as the initial E3 prototypes)

I don't know what was shown as TGS. All I can say is that the screen has increased it's viewing angle but now has really bad ghosting. Oh, and I'm not on the team working on the PSP (different team same company).

PC-Engine said:
Guden Oden said:
PC-Engine said:

You mean a single 1.2V AA NiMH cell? :LOL:

Let me know when you can get a 1800mAh 3.6V Li-ion PSP battery for $3.50... ;)

I think the appropriate question is..what planet do YOU live on? :LOL:

I think it's worth remembering that:

1800mAh 3.6 Li-ion battery =! PSP 1800mAh 3.6 Li-ion battery

Even IF the former were to be priced at 5 pounds, the PSP version of the same thing would be 40 pound. More. With VAT on top.

PC-Engine said:
Let me know when you can get a 1800mAh 3.6V Li-ion PSP battery for $3.50...

Let us know when you have factual evidence on that PSP battery costs [Sony] $50... ;)

[url=http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=414870#414870 said:
PC-Engine, further up[/url]]It's not like NDS needs a freaking $50 1800mAh battery to achieve this.

if a LCD has bad ghosting, that would typically mean the screen has a much lower response time. I found on the PC, 24 ms and below is what you'd want for playing games with mimimal ghosting. The lower the better. Could they have switched to a less costly screen?

I'd rather have a 299$ PSP with a good screen, than a 199$ one with a crappy screen. Of course this is all speculation for now.

I don't know if it costs less. It may have been a tradeoff between view angle and response time (dunno why and correlation is not causation so take it with a grain of salt). Anyhow there are two other revs coming so hopefully it will be taken care of.

Btw, was it confirmed that there is NO multiplayer support on the DS with GBA games? That is, there is no link cable possible or using the wireless for those games?

Phil said:
PC-Engine said:
Let me know when you can get a 1800mAh 3.6V Li-ion PSP battery for $3.50...

Let us know when you have factual evidence on that PSP battery costs [Sony] $50... ;)

[url=http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=414870#414870 said:
PC-Engine, further up[/url]]It's not like NDS needs a freaking $50 1800mAh battery to achieve this.

It' doesn't matter how much it cost to manufacture. The only thing that matters is that you have to pay $50 for it while you only have to pay $20 for an NDS battery. 1800mAh is about 2 times 950mAh. I afraid those are the facts you seek. ;)

Lets not go off on a tangent here since the issue was battery life which NDS has demonstrated 7.5 hrs.

Ty, so you (your company, I mean) have the latest devkit that includes the working PSP, right? And it has a screen with bad ghosting that you've seen on your own?

I hope that the other two revisions you are talking about are already improved in that regard, becuase right now PSP is in the mass production, and has been for some time. So whatever screen they have chosen, now it's too late for a change.

It would be very crappy if they included some bad screen now, especially after reading PSP's main engineer talking in a recent interview how screen is definitely PSP's "main trump card". For what it's worth, the PSP shown at TGS was supposed to be a final hardware prototype and it had the same phenomenal screen that everyone was oozing over. Same goes for working PSPs in those subway advertismemnts (those are playing video off the memory stick, and guards are instructed to take them out every 6-7 hours to replace the battery btw) same goes to the recent PSP TV ads (no ghosting to be seen on them from what I've seen)

PC-Engine said:
It' doesn't matter how much it cost to manufacture. The only thing that matters is that you have to pay $50 for it while you only have to pay $20 for an NDS battery. 1800mAh is about 2 times 950mAh. I afraid those are the facts you seek. ;)

:oops: I wasn't aware you needed to buy a PSP battery for $50 to play it let alone of being able to buy one at all! :? ;)

Besides, I don't think the point was to prove what a battery costs or not - it was more to prove you have no valid evidence in claiming costs for batteries that don't have to be bought in the first place nor does it have anything to do with the topic - which I believe was Guden Oden's objective when he posted that reply to you calling you a troll. In fact, I'm not sure what reason you have of bringing up PSP in a thread like this, other than to give you yet another reason to derail topics for your amusement in flaming anything Sony related. Is it necessary? No. Imature? Certainly. If it disturbs you that much, why not just ignore it and the PSP itself rather than continuing this sad crusade no one really cares about in the first place? People interested in PSP will buy one regardless what you have to say about it - just like DS will be bought for different reasons. You're simply wasting your time, our time and bandwidth/space of this site. It's about time you get over this.

PS: and no, I won't be replying again. *looks at topics title*

Back