Minecraft

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Frank, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Frank

Frank Certified not a majority
    Veteran

I've been playing Minecraft for the last couple of weeks, and it has turned out to be the most immersive, fun and creepy game I've played for the last five years or so.

Sure, it's an Indy game, the graphics are only slightly better than Doom I, there's only little variation in the game objects and mobs (5 hostiles in total), no story whatsoever and the mechanics are really simple.

But it blew me away anyway. It's also the most scary game I've ever played. And except for the graphics, it's extremely well done and polished.

One of the highlights is the mobs and the sounds they make (or don't make). I've jumped out of my chair (literally) some times, once when I turned around in a dark cave, just when a spider jumped in my face. Or when I thought I heard something, turned around and a creeper jumped down and blew up in my face, killing me.

If you're exploring the vast cave systems, you're always tense, as bad things can and will happen if you relax. Or if you do something stupid, like staying outside at night, digging straight up or down.

There is no saving (persistent world), but dying is always your own fault, and if you take precautions, you can collect the stuff you were carrying in time.

But the best part is simply the building. You can create the most beautiful buildings, or even complete cities. It's something like Dwarf Fortress meets Ultima Underworld. You can even import Dwarf Fortress maps, through a fan-made converter.

:grin:

#1 Frank, Sep 22, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2010
  2. Albuquerque

Albuquerque Red-headed step child
    Veteran

3. Florin

Florin Merrily dodgy
    Veteran

4. N_B

N_B
    Regular

Been playing it too. I'm not really into building things but I love the exploration.

Some pics (ignore the ugly debug text, that's only there if you want it to be):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    - what comes out at night, you should really stay inside!

The game is also selling an insane amount in spite of being in alpha:

http://www.minecraft.net/stats.jsp

In the past 5 minutes there's been about 100 sales alone :) It's interesting just to refresh the page and watch that number climb.

5. Mobius1aic

Mobius1aic Quo vadis?
    Veteran

Is there a trial or not? Looks mighty fun, but I want to give it a whirl for free before paying for it :razz:

6. Florin

Florin Merrily dodgy
    Veteran

People make crazy stuff in Minecraft:

Earth

Bioshock Infinite

7. Frank

Veteran

Yea, he made about $ 300,000 in the last day alone...

:grin:

Then again, things are pretty unstable at the moment, due to the massive influx of new players. Servers are offline half the time, etc. But you can play offline, and it has been free for the last few days, because he couldn't handle the payment processing.

But, who cares? It's a steal for only 10 Euro's.

8. Frank

Veteran

For some interesting video footage, try this series. Especially the second video, around 2:45.

9. MrGaribaldi

Regular

This game should be called MineCrack not MineCraft, as whenever I start to play I end up spending hours, just want to do one more thing...
    Truly worth the 10€! Just hope he has gotten everything sorted with paypal, so that he actually gets the money...

10. Frank

Veteran

I totally agree. I haven't had less sleep for years.

11. Albuquerque

Albuquerque Red-headed step child
    Veteran

Wow, the vids that you posted totally sold me :D I'm gonna go buy it...

12. Fred

Newcomer

I don't know what it says about the state of PC gaming, but the fact that minecraft and dwarf fortress are the two best games i've played in the past 3 years (all systems included) is slightly disturbing.

13. Frank

Veteran

Gameplay still beats great graphics by a lot. And they're pretty much unique, with just about everything else you have a large choice of games that are pretty much the same and as "accessible" as possible.

14. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Heard a lot about this (thanks to PA of course, he should send them a gratuitous thanks lol). I know my wife and daughter will get horribly addicted to something like this so against my better judgement I bought it.

15. Frank

Veteran

16. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

Haha! That was the most mismatched audio and video I've seen since... Well, I dunno. Epic hollywood-type movie music along with primitive lego graphics = hilarious. :)

However it was a very nicely put-together video that did a good job of selling the game. Thanks for posting.

17. Frank

Veteran

Damn, I was just laying the foundation for my obsidian castle on the top of a mountain (above the clouds), when a zombie attacked me out of nowhere. After some frantic scrambling and realizing that I was trying to hit it with a piece of dirt, it killed me. I didn't see if it was simply through the attacks, or if it pushed me off the edge.

I hastily crafted a new sword and some armor after respawning, but after I took revenge, I couldn't find the stuff I dropped. I looked all around the mountain, but to no avail.

Ah, well, I guess I grew careless, not having died so far in this world, for many days.

Btw, the best way to build with obsidian is to cast it: build blocks around the part of the wall you want to make, pour lava in (and make sure it's stationary, otherwise it'll turn into cobblestone), and put water on top, one block to the side. You need lots of buckets, though.

#17 Frank, Sep 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2010
  18. MrGaribaldi

Regular

Yeah, in my experience when killed you should focus on getting your stuff back first, then getting retribution.

Had an interesting experience in one world, one huge mountain going like a cylinder to the top of the world, wasn't even room for snow on the top. And tunnelling down hit an enormous frozen lake stretching to what seems the end of the world (since the sun shines in after sunset).

19. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

I'm sitting here lulling to myself thinking if someone just read this section of text without knowing you're talking about a video game... :lol:

20. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

This game sounds like the Nethack of resource/crafting games.