Mike Hara interview at PenstarSys

It was a great interview Dave (and Josh), very informative and gives some good insight to where nVidia is headed. It sounds like they know that they dropped the ball big time, and are working hard to get back on track. When does their 2nd quarter start/finish? I'm hoping to upgrade from my GF1 DDR around the May/June timeframe :D

That article reminded me of NVIDIAs public statement that they'd ship 1.5 million NV3x processors by the end of March. Ummm, not long to go now (maybe it's gonna be a real busy weekend).

Wonder how many they have actually managed to get out the door?

nutball said:
That article reminded me of NVIDIAs public statement that they'd ship 1.5 million NV3x processors by the end of March. Ummm, not long to go now (maybe it's gonna be a real busy weekend).

Remember, NVIDIA counts a shipped processor as one that goes to the AIB. It takes several weeks AT LEAST until those chips make it into shelves.

GeForce FX

This is NVIDIA’s latest architecture, and the one they will base all of their future products on for at least the next year and a half...

Hmm... puts NV4x back to fall 2004. How else can you interpret that statement?

Seems like the next 12 months or so will be a period of consolidation for both companies, mostly driven by a stagnation in terms of software tech advances (at the DX9+PS/VS 3.0, OGL 2.0-level) and compounded by process difficulties.

Hopefully we'll see a plethora of DX9 titles and cards powerful enough to run them at decent framerates with FSAA+AF by year's end. 8)

MuFu.

RussSchultz said:
nutball said:

Remember, NVIDIA counts a shipped processor as one that goes to the AIB. It takes several weeks AT LEAST until those chips make it into shelves.

Yes, I hadn't assumed they were talking about cards on shelves. I wondered if anyone closer to the industry had any info. what sort of numbers had been shipped out of NVIDIAs door.

MuFu said:
GeForce FX

This is NVIDIA’s latest architecture, and the one they will base all of their future products on for at least the next year and a half...

Hmm... puts NV4x back to fall 2004. How else can you interpret that statement?

Seems like the next 12 months or so will be a period of consolidation for both companies, mostly driven by a stagnation in terms of software tech advances (at the DX9+PS/VS 3.0, OGL 2.0-level) and compounded by process difficulties.

Hopefully we'll see a plethora of DX9 titles and cards powerful enough to run them at decent framerates with FSAA+AF by year's end. 8)

MuFu.

To bo quite honest, I really can't see that as a bad thing. Given the current state of hardware, drivers and end-user software, I think it's time to take a breather. Punting R400 into 2004 makes sense for the same reason, don't you think?

I dont think this is a great interview, it is not really an interview at all ... if there was at least a clear indication of what came from Mike Hara himself it would still be a great piece, but at the moment it looks like this it mostly an opinion piece with interpretations of what Mike Hara said in the unprinted interview mixed in between.

Let's take the most interesting bit to me :
Microsoft is taking its own sweet time in choosing a partner, and doing so at an early date would only hurt its chances at producing a competitive product. This also keeps AMD and Intel in the running as a future partner, as both have very promising future products to base the CPU off of. The big question for Microsoft is exactly how much CPU power the X-Box 2 will need? The current X-Box has a 700 MHz Pentium !!! derivative, and that is not exactly a vector processing powerhouse. The PS-3 is all about vector processing, but seemingly not so much about graphics, so this could be an area where Microsoft may have an edge. We will not hear anything from Microsoft this year, and of course announcing anything in 2005 would be too late. From this we can infer that Microsoft will probably make an X-Box 2 announcement in early 2004. Another reason for Microsoft not wanting to announce X-Box 2 early is that it wants to keep excitement about the current X-Box at a fever pitch, and not dilute it by announcing specs on future products.

Is that Mike Hara's or Josh Walrath's opinion?

I am guessing like most of the rest of the speculative parts in the piece that it is Josh Walrath's ... but that just takes it further away from an interview (which it is far enough away from by not actually containing many questions with answers).

Marco

RussSchultz said:
nutball said:

I think that if you go to nVidia.com and watch the NV31/NV34 launch you will find Huang promised to ship 1.5 million NV3x processors by the end of april, not march.

Back