Miguel - Feline Investigator (an old school adventure)

Dunge

Newcomer
Hi there,

I am assigned to write the music for a German independent point-and-click adventure in the style of Monkey Island, Sam and Max etc. It's about a cat named Miguel in the role of a detective finding the murder of his master. Most likely it will be freeware and hopefully there will be an English translation. I would like to know what you think about these pieces (especially concerning the mix). I tried my best to jazz them up a bit and spent a lot of time on this project.

Thanks a lot and best regards :)

Dustin

I think you did a good work there man. They sound pretty tight and stylistically coherent to me. Although I'm no musician, the mixing seems solid to my ears. One thing I find important to nail down in the ambient tunes for adventure games, is having them be varied and layered enough ( and also low key ) for them not to get repetitive and anoying after multiple dozens hearings. I get pretty easily irritated when stuck for ours in an adventure game, and every little aspect of the presentation and music that is slightly subpar starts sticking out progressively with my frustration to the point I start hating a game that is actually perfectly good. Its good that cited Lucas Arts games, cause those were really good at this. Their songs where very smooth, and were conposed in such way that they could flow well together from one area to another. Sam & Max and Day of the Tentacle both had a sort of jazzy style which your work does resemble a bit. Now that I'm talking about that, Is the game art pixel art? Have you considered using synthesised sound that purposedly resembles old DOS games music? They do have a certain charm too.
But overall, I'd say your music does bring in the whole atmosphere of a detective story, and some of the swing of a street smart cat.

PS: While I enjoy your enthusiasm and giving you feedback, maybe you will find a better community to discuss this sort of stuff at tigsource, which is game development centered.

an old school adventure.

Ha! An old school adventure is:
Code:
>look
Galley
You are in the Galley area of the ship, containing a machine which
is the state of the art in Nutritional Technology, a Sirius Cybernetics
Corporation Nutrimat. These is an exit to starboard.
It looks like the Nutrimat contains:
>i
You have:
  no tea
  a magnifying glass
  a towel ......
:)

Back