Microtranactions: Battlefield Bad Company hitting new lows

RobertR1

Pro
Legend
disclaimer: This isn't a gaming thread thus I'm posting under the general forum.

While many already know, for those unaware it was learned that in the BF:BC beta that even unlocking certain guns requires you to pay.

First, let me say that I don't have a problem with DLC such as map packs/new areas in sand box games/tracks/car packs when they are developed after the release of a game and knowingly withheld for the sole purpose of DLC. In this case the motivation from the developer is genuine in that they do want to profit more from the existing game but they're also working for it.

In the case of BF:BC we have a game that is finished and sold to the consumer for $60 a copy. Now you bring that game home and start playing. Then you notice that you can't do X/Y/Z because you have to pay additional for it! No. Not additional content later on but the same copy you have is locked down. To get the "full version" your cost now might be $70? $80?

Since we have a fair amount of users in the industry, what is your opinion of this? Who makes such decisions? EA or DICE? Personally, I cannot support any such action regardless of how amazing a game is. This is just testing the waters. If such actions prove profitable the reigns will only get tighter. I’m not in the market for paying $80+ to finally get the version of a game that was packaged onto the disc.

I don't really see any difference between DLC and disk based paid unlockable content.
Evaluation software comes at full, but works limited until you pay. Do people have a problem with that?

The distinction is artificial.

Hell, disk based content can even reduce the price.

However, if BF:BC paid weapons are for multiplayer, that may suck, but I wouldn't care since I wouldn't be playing that game.

Well here's how I view such an idea: at mainstream cost for a game, I think it's stupid. A game should already have a multitude of weapons to gain in game from ranking up a la older BF games. Also the ranking system would also need to be in place to qualify a player to purchase or use a bought weapon, because no beginner should be able to fork over some cash and get the ultimate weapon.

Godfather for 360 had guns you needed to buy to get them. I played through the entire single player game, never thinking I 'needed' them.

That never quelled the part of me that was ACHING to get the guns, but I refused to do it.

In the long run, it didn't effect my gameplay or overall enjoyment. Godfather also had no online element. So agreed on the multiplayer aspect on BF:BC. That would unique indeed.

I'm still on the fence about some minitransactions. Some games like Rock Band I eat up, but things like this just seem a little to much of trying to rip your customer off.

Looks like the clue train came by:

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/865/865549p1.html

"IGN: So there's no charge for the Gold Edition guns?

Karl-Magnus: No, there's no charge for any of the guns in the game. All of the guns in the game can be achieved without purchasing them. All guns are available to everyone. However, we want to give some exclusivity to those who buy the Gold Edition. They will get the five Gold Edition weapons from Day One when they put the disc in. People that don't buy the Gold Edition can get the five additional weapons by getting to the final rank in the game. There will be a golden, shiny five-weapon unlock when they hit level 25 in the game."

Yay to the people who bitched about it. Shame on the sheep.

Looks like the clue train came by:

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/865/865549p1.html

"IGN: So there's no charge for the Gold Edition guns?

Karl-Magnus: No, there's no charge for any of the guns in the game. All of the guns in the game can be achieved without purchasing them. All guns are available to everyone. However, we want to give some exclusivity to those who buy the Gold Edition. They will get the five Gold Edition weapons from Day One when they put the disc in. People that don't buy the Gold Edition can get the five additional weapons by getting to the final rank in the game. There will be a golden, shiny five-weapon unlock when they hit level 25 in the game."

Yay to the people who bitched about it. Shame on the sheep.
EA should have said that from day one, then no one would have complained about it. Their original comments on the subject indicated that the weapons were buy-only... they made zero mention of them being available in-game.

i bet you what happens now in some instances
A/ the publisher/maker once the games finished remove some content to sell at a later date
B/ whilst making the game they have an idea of releasing extra content (for a price), later on, this will let them ship the game earlier as well as garnering extra income

is there much the consumer can do about it?,
refusing to buy tthe extra content isnt much of a deterrent cause some ppl will buy it

In general, I don't have a problem with publishers/devs generating more income from a game. However, I think they should go about it the right way by not making the customer feel like he/she is getting less value for a full priced game.

Regarding BF:BC. The closed beta left a bad taste in my mouth, so I will most likely be passing on the retail game.

EA should have said that from day one, then no one would have complained about it. Their original comments on the subject indicated that the weapons were buy-only... they made zero mention of them being available in-game.
That wasn't EA's plan on day one, until the outcry they planned on this:

Battlefield: Bad Company will release five unique weapons free of charge through five different promotional programs prior to launch. EA will again make these weapons available to players free of charge after launch, in case anyone missed the pre-launch promotions.

At launch, EA will release a Gold Edition of Battlefield: Bad Company which will feature an additional five new weapons. For players who do not purchase the Gold Edition of the game, they can still buy the five weapons at a small individualized price per item. All weapons are balanced for gameplay. More weapons offer players more choices but do not create an advantage/disadvantage for players who do not opt to buy new items.

Back