Microsoft XO19 Event

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by Jay, Nov 14, 2019.

1. Jay

Jay
    Veteran Regular

Soon find out, queing for XO19

2. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Obsidian is rumored to be announcing their next game at XO19. That's the thing I'm most interested in, if true.

Regards,
    SB

DSoup likes this.
  3. chris1515

Veteran Regular

And Rare a big game

4. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Everwild the new Rare game, looks fantastic.

Erm, Obsidian's new IP is a kid's survival game? Grounded. And they started it before they were acquired by Microsoft. Not sure what to think of it, but definitely not for me. :sad face: But they did mention it was a small team. So, still hope for a real Obsidian game.

Regards,
    SB

#4 Silent_Buddha, Nov 14, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
    AzBat likes this.
  5. DSoup

DSoup meh
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

I like a good survival game but it feels like most survival games are 95% identical to every other survival game, ergo there are very few "good" survival games. Just clones of good games, and clones or clones.

6. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

How much variety can be brought to a survival game? I think they are all trying to do the same thing and are all capped by technology. The next advance will be next-gen when more systems can be employed.

7. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Well, looks like EA decided to partner with MS for game streaming, so maybe that's why they aren't on Stadia?

Already 50 games on X-cloud? And more to come before they launch the preview in more countries next year.

Whoa Yakuza coming to Xbox? I was totally not expecting that.

Regards,
    SB

BRiT likes this.
  8. DSoup

DSoup meh
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Quite a lot. So many survival games are predicated on a limited about of inventory slots and weight, a requirement to eat/drink/sleep every X minutes, have you fall unconscious when you exceed your energy level any given day, have a 14/8 (day/night hours) cycle, have some omnipotent unkillable enemy force that attacks every x days, have you punching trees for wood and rocks and stone. It's like there is some cookie-cutter survival-game-engine creator tool out there.

Survival games are often boring because the challenges are so predictably scheduled rather than based around some actual simulation of an environment. Starting environment has x number of limited resourfces then you always have to venture into highly dangerous territory to obtain more.

There are some exceptions, but they are few and far between.

9. Silent_Buddha

Legend

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG Age of Empires IV OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG

I need to clean my pants now.

World's Edge, new studio created to make it.

Regards,
    SB

10. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk
    Legend Regular Subscriber

I guess this is the thread for it.

Yeaaa AOE4!!! wow looks really good.

11. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Square Enix hopping on the Game Pass bandwagon with almost all past FF games and Kingdom Heart games.

Regards,
    SB

12. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Nice Brian Fargo talking about MS pouring a lot of money into Wasteland 3 which allowed them to have full voice acting, more lines of dialog, and upgrade the engine.

Regards,
    SB

13. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk

WL3 looks great; kickstarted that one. lol but ti's coming to GP anyway welp ;)

14. AzBat

AzBat Agent of the Bat
    Legend Veteran

Recap 1 of 2...

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2019/11/14/x019-recap/

Tommy McClain

PSman1700 and BRiT like this.
  15. AzBat

AzBat Agent of the Bat
    Legend Veteran

Recap 2 of 2

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2019/11/14/x019-recap/

Tommy McClain

Rangers and BRiT like this.
  16. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk

They managed to have a decent showing all the while holding back all their best IPs.
    I was expecting to see at least Ori there. Even then, they managed to withhold that as well.

Missing was
    Halo, Forza, whatever playground is working on, Ori, Gears just popped so it'll be a while.
    They still need to have an adventure title of the sort to round things out.
    Still quite a few studios just sort of sitting there silent, I don't expect them to have titles ready till 21/22. Looking at the studios that just formed in 2018 etc.

milk likes this.
  17. ultragpu

Legend Veteran

I'm actually liking this new batch of 1st party titles from MS than the very disappointing last ones namely Sea of Thieves, Crack Down 3, State of Decay and even Gears 5 didn't live up to my liking. That being said I find myself most likely play those new games on Scarlett by the time they launch. Anyone know if the Flight Sim was running on PC or 1X?

18. Jay

Jay
    Veteran Regular

I think overall it was a good event, glad I went.

Xcloud was what I expected, but just more of it. Didn't expect them to ramp up to as many as 50 games after just starting with 4.
    No date given for general release which I expected, but expanding it next year to couple more countries than I was expecting.
    Expected them to show few more clips and accessories for it in a little promo vid.

Games was very artsy and pretty, think could've done with a gritty one thrown in.

Interviews was kept decent length and apart from EA wasn't cringy.

Gamepass being a big thing, didn't feel like it was just an advert for it this time. May have come across differently on stream though?
    The attach rate for it is going to be high, not getting into the initial offers debate etc, their just making it really appealing and value for money.

Really emphasized that the studios they have, have multiple teams.
    From next year it seems like they'll have a reasonably constant stream of games. Not all AAA big budget, but that's cool.

PSman1700, AzBat, BRiT and 1 other person like this.
  19. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk

Neat; did you just have to line up to go? Last XO event in Toronto I needed to talk to people to get tickets from organizers

20. Jay

Jay
    Veteran Regular

Was just limited tickets for the FanFest part of XO19.
    Was lucky enough to get a pair before they sold out (went on sale couple months ago), sold out in about 20mins think it was.

Got a free xcloud controller attachment, the double jointed one and priority status for the trail, so got into it on Friday.
    Even though the clip is pretty cheap about $15 if I remember correctly, I would never had bought it.
    Now I'll actually give it a try. Where as before was only interested in the technical aspects of xcloud.
    Had a very quick go on the ones set up at show and it worked well enough for me as someone who hardly plays games.
    And enough choice in games that if latency is an issue can possibly play one that isn't twitchy.
    Maybe at lunchtime at work sometimes.

Free food and drinks, everyone just having a good time.
    Guaranteed win of between 1, 3, 6 or 12 month gamepass ultimate, free cheap FanFest racksack.
    It's like a press day so very short queues(lots of the time none) for games, no crowds to deal with. I'd say MS knows how to look after fans, so if it's in your area I would say go, ms fan or not.
    If other companies does it in my area I'll try go to those also.

Wasn't expecting E3 FanFest or show, so for me it was a good night..

iroboto, AzBat and BRiT like this.