Microsoft unveils the final/product name for "Windows 7"

Richard

Mord's imaginary friend
Veteran
*drum roll*

(don't you hate when people do this?)

It's Windows 7. That's a good first step. I've always disliked MS putting years in product names but I understood the reasons why. Worse still were the suffixes like ME, XP and VISTA which tell you nothing wrt the release timeline. The circle is now complete. When I left you I was but... sorry, lost my train of thought.

I was thinking it should have been Cajones after watching that commercial on Mojave. :(

Windows CE, ME, NT... Seems pretty explanatory to me. Cement starts out a little rocky, and sometimes freezes up at inopportune monents, too.

Except NT came before ME and CE came after NT. So NTMECE - it don't work.

Regarding Windows 7, I think they ignore 1 and 2 and count like this

Windows 3, Windows NT, Windows 9x, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7

Windows 3, Windows NT, Windows 9x, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7

I'm going with Windows 3.1, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7.

Ignoring NT, 2000 and Server because they aren't consumer targetted. I.e. this is the 7th main release of Windows targetted at the home user.

Yes, I can go with that one too, pjbliverpool and that one makes more sense.

I highly doubt they're counting specific products, instead basing it on the build number and just extending that to name for marketing purposes. If you want to be honest it should be Windows 6.1 but that doesn't have a good ring to it.

It was only a joke. Chronology had nothing to do with it.

Not Windows 1,2,3, Win9x, WinXP, Vista, 7?

Could be. I was ingoring 1 & 2 because I didn't think they were considered major releases (wasn't 3 the first "big" OS from MS?). Its all a bit before my time so I could be well off.

Skyring has a point as well, it could be based around build number which i'm guessing fits your solution more closely.

duh! maybe it's Windows NT 7 ?
you have windows NT 3.x and 4.0, 2k/XP/2k3 are NT 5.x, Vista is NT 6.0
The 9x line had more in common with windows 3.1 and is long dead now.

I was thinking it should have been Cajones after watching that commercial on Mojave. :(
I think Cajones should instead refer to the ball-busting attack on Apple's campaign.

After Microsoft's "I'm a PC, and I've been made into a stereotype" ads, how can Apple play any of their commercials without looking like a condesding prick? I've never seen such a long-running, popular ad campaign grind to a halt so fast. I don't know if I should commend MS or lambaste them for not doing it sooner.

I think Cajones should instead refer to the ball-busting attack on Apple's campaign.

After Microsoft's "I'm a PC, and I've been made into a stereotype" ads, how can Apple play any of their commercials without looking like a condesding prick? I've never seen such a long-running, popular ad campaign grind to a halt so fast. I don't know if I should commend MS or lambaste them for not doing it sooner.

Yeah that campaign rocks :D

They really kicked apples butt with that one, and i'm loving it. Frankly I was disgusted at Apple for trying to stereotype anyone who uses a PC for personal use as a boring geek.

Apple did release a new ad, or so was posted on Engadget but I haven't seen it yet. Really I could care less. The "I'm a PC" ad did it's job and was something Microsoft should have looked to some time ago.

Apple did release a new ad, or so was posted on Engadget but I haven't seen it yet. Really I could care less. The "I'm a PC" ad did it's job and was something Microsoft should have looked to some time ago.

Yeah like right after the apple commercials came out, but whatever :).

Does anyone know what is planned to be 'good & new' in this version?

DX11? Anything else?

Will Vista drivers work? (like how Win2k/XP & Win95/98/ME drivers mostly had cross compatibility)
A few years worth of driver support for Vista may make life easier for this version but if its a new driver ball game...

Major Windows releases: Windows 1.0, Windows 2.0, Windows 3.0, Win95 (v4.0), Win2000 (v5.0), Vista (v6.0).

All the rest were minor or point releases.

Back