Microsoft to acquire Bioware?

Johnny Awesome said:
Most best selling titles are made by western developers. The only Japanese franchises that still have any legs really are GT, MGS, FF, and the 3D fighters. You might want to include RE and Ominusha in there, but they've lost ground recently. Ninja Gaiden might turn out to be a big seller as well.

GTA, EA Sports, Halo, EA movie licenses, Ubisoft's games, THQ's games etc... are all gaining more and more traction.

It used to be that Japan was 30% of the market and 60% of the big sellers in the west, but it's more like 20/25 now. Japanese games represent about 25% of the western market now, which isn't much more than the size of the Japanese market.

This year might be a boost for Japanese developers, because of GT4 and MGS3, but long term things don't really look great for Japanese developers in the west, mainly because cultural considerations are so important now.

True, but you forgot to mention that western games are usually released in multiplatform so there has been very few titles that was considered to be system sellers(only GTA and Halo can be considered significant system sellers). Japanese titles tends to be exclusive to certain platform and they are usually the difference maker in terms of consumer's buying decision.

Jak, R&C, The Getaway, KOTOR, MechAssault are more 2nd string examples of good exclusive sellers from western developers on consoles. Then you have Soul Calibur 2, which is multi-platform and developed in Japan. It sold fairly well.

You can't really make the statement that Japanese games are always exclusives, since that has more to do with the fact that there is only one really successful platform there right now.

I'm not trying to suggest that Japanese games aren't at all important, merely that their importance is declining over time. As long as western gamers have their GTA, Halo, and EA Sports, they pretty much just roll with everything else that comes their way to fill in the gaps.

Johnny Awesome said:
Most best selling titles are made by western developers. The only Japanese franchises that still have any legs really are GT, MGS, FF, and the 3D fighters. You might want to include RE and Ominusha in there, but they've lost ground recently. Ninja Gaiden might turn out to be a big seller as well.

GTA, EA Sports, Halo, EA movie licenses, Ubisoft's games, THQ's games etc... are all gaining more and more traction.

It used to be that Japan was 30% of the market and 60% of the big sellers in the west, but it's more like 20/25 now. Japanese games represent about 25% of the western market now, which isn't much more than the size of the Japanese market.

This year might be a boost for Japanese developers, because of GT4 and MGS3, but long term things don't really look great for Japanese developers in the west, mainly because cultural considerations are so important now.

Link

Here's the last Top15 US Game publisher from NPD.

1. Electronic Arts
Q1-Q3 2003 Sales: $594,510,000 (+$99,397,300)
Q1-Q3 2003 Share: 20.0% (+2.7%)
2. Nintendo
Q1-Q3 2003 Sales: $349,783,800 (+$97,087,400)
Q1-Q3 2003 Share: 11.8% (+3.0%)
3. SCEA
Q1-Q3 2003 Sales: $206,650,800 (-$1,619,900)
Q1-Q3 2003 Share: 6.9 % (-0.4%)
4. Atari
Q1-Q3 2003 Sales: $183,246,800 (+$67,674,400)
Q1-Q3 2003 Share: 6.2% (+2.2%)
5. THQ
Q1-Q3 2003 Sales: $177,916,700 (+$4,447,900)
Q1-Q3 2003 Share: 6.0% (-0.1%)
6. Activision
Q1-Q3 2003 Sales: $136,621,400 (-$80,266,500)
Q1-Q3 2003 Share: 4.6% (-3.0%)
7. Take-Two Interactive
Q1-Q3 2003 Sales: $134,261,400 (-$79,466,700)
Q1-Q3 2003 Share: 4.5% (-3.0%)
8. Konami
Q1-Q3 2003 Sales: $131,839,500 (+$41,358,110)
Q1-Q3 2003 Share: 4.4% (+1.2%)
9. Ubisoft
Q1-Q3 2003 Sales: $119,768,300 (+$79,857,630)
Q1-Q3 2003 Share: 4.0% (+2.6%)
10. Namco
Q1-Q3 2003 Sales: $119,391,900 (+$27,521,420)
Q1-Q3 2003 Share: 4.0% (+0.8%)
11. Sega
Q1-Q3 2003 Sales: $93,172,950 (-$42,383,850)
Q1-Q3 2003 Share: 3.1% (-1.6%)
12. Vivendi Universal Games
Q1-Q3 2003 Sales: $87,222,580 (+$27,885,410)
Q1-Q3 2003 Share: 2.9% (+0.8%)
13. Capcom
Q1-Q3 2003 Sales: $86,605,320 (-$2,695,420)
Q1-Q3 2003 Share: 2.9% (-0.2%)
14. Microsoft
Q1-Q3 2003 Sales: $78,441,010 (-$10,150,800)
Q1-Q3 2003 Share: 2.6% (-0.5%)
15. Acclaim
Q1-Q3 2003 Sales: $60,292,620 (-$37,566,800)
Q1-Q3 2003 Share: 2.0% (-1.4%)

I understand your point of view johnny, but don't count Japaneses publisher out now. There's 6 Jap publishers in this Top15, 6 US publishers and 3 french/european publishers, Only in the U.S.
Let alone the Top 15 Jap publishers, we don't have it but each week sales prove us that there's almost never a western game in Japaneses charts, and when there's one (GTA, Getaway, R&C) it's being published by Jap publishers (Gta by Capcom, Getaway, R&C by SCEJ).
The only Publisher from the west i know that sells in japan periodically is EA. (007games, Medal of Honor's...)

The problem is simple, japaneses Publisher can sell in the West, western publisher can't sell in japan, as long as this is a reality, you can't count japaneses publisher out.
The japanese market may not be as big as the US or european market but it belongs at 95% to Japaneses publishers, thoses you can also sell in the US and Europe.

edit: i removed the abbreviations of the word "japanese"

Not to be an ass or anything, but can we stop referring to them as "jap"? Many people find it derogatory, and it certainly just sounds dumb. Mainly, though, the fact that many people use it as a racial epithet just makes it a term to avoid.

cthellis42 said:
Not to be an ass or anything, but can we stop referring to them as "jap"? Many people find it derogatory, and it certainly just sounds dumb. Mainly, though, the fact that many people use it as a racial epithet just makes it a term to avoid.

Sorry, it was used as an abbreviation, i didn't used it to sound harsh.
I removed it.

cthellis42 said:
I know you didn't, it was just that seeing it used so many times in a row was making me squeamish. ;)

:LOL: Indeed, I used it a lot.

Ok, here is a great idea. Stop including Europe devs and 3rd parties in what is known as "western" companies. Not only is it wrong to include them when you are separating Japan from the rest but it also skews the bias to fit your perspective. Japanese developed games will become important again one day, it only takes a matter of time. There will be another great shift.

Sonic said:
Ok, here is a great idea. Stop including Europe devs and 3rd parties in what is known as "western" companies. Not only is it wrong to include them when you are separating Japan from the rest but it also skews the bias to fit your perspective. Japanese developed games will become important again one day, it only takes a matter of time. There will be another great shift.

If this reply is for my post, then i have to say that i wasn't clear...
Because i'm actually saying that the Japaneses Publisher are strong and therefore you can't count them out or something.

On topic, on Penny Arcade

I'm hearing a huge "no" from people internal to the company. But then I'm like, well, if he's in on it... Then I saw a bird outside the window, and I thought about birds for awhile.

Not quite a news source, but something of an update.

I am very interested to see how this pans out, since this will affect the next gen as well as PC gaming for years to come quite significantly - I mean, what other games are there worth playing on PC these days than RPGs and FPSs? And god knows I'm sick of one FPS after another. I can't remember the last time a PC game grabbed me.

Thank you for proving my point with the numbers. Japanese publishers only represent about 33% of the market, and when you start looking at the developers (which is what we were originally discussing), the number falls into the 20 percent range since many big games like Jak, R&C, SOCOM II (Sony), Sega Sports (Sega), Rogue Leader, Metroid Prime (Nintendo), are made by NA/EU developers and then published by Japanese publishers.

Vysez, I was referrring to Johnny Awesome.

Johnny, you do make a clear valid point. I think if Namco, SEGA, Capcom, and other Japanese companies decided to focus more on content that would target North American and European audiences then they could become a forefront again.

Why would a console not being big in Japan mean Japanese developers wouldnt develop for it? If they are really able to make big selling games for foreign markets to the extent Sonic believes they will just do it anyway ... there is money to be made, what do they care where they make it?

I think demise of Sega, Nintendo's decline and Microsoft's entrance to the market has much to do with declining marketshare of Japanese publishers in North American/European market.
Why would a console not being big in Japan mean Japanese developers wouldnt develop for it? If they are really able to make big selling games for foreign markets to the extent Sonic believes they will just do it anyway ... there is money to be made, what do they care where they make it?
Japanese companies simply don't want to see Microsoft stealing a market they dominated for more than 15 years...It is sad but true..

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/6161529/site/newsweek/

It's worse than I thought for Japanese developers/publishers. My estimation was 33%, but Japanese publishers only represent 29% of the market.

--------------------------------------
Legend of the Fall

Gaming: Nintendo and other Japanese firms used to dominate the industry. But the world changed, and they didn't.

By N'Gai Croal Newsweek International

OCt. 11 issue - Nintendo's press conferences at the Los Angeles Electronic Entertainment Expo have always been more raucous than those of its competitors. But recently the company seems to be trying a bit too hard. Earlier this year, for instance, Reginald Fils-Aime, the new executive vice president for North America, stood before journalists and declared, "My name is Reggie and I'm about kicking ass." Then he showed footage from souped-up new versions of classic Nintendo heroes, like the gold-armor-clad heroine of Metroid Prime: Echoes and the daring fur ball Fox McCloud from Star Fox 2. The wildest applause of all was reserved for a trailer for the company's new Legend of Zelda game, which reduced some of the seemingly grown men in attendance to tears at the sight of their hero, Link, all grown up and rendered in stunningly believable 3-D. Was Nintendo trying to recapture the glory days, back in 1998, when it owned a quarter of the U.S. market and sold five of the top 10 video-game-console games?

What's clear is that those glory days are gone—not only for Nintendo, but for all Japanese game publishers. The North American videogame market— the world's largest—has been taking off in recent years, but Japanese publishers aren't reaping the rewards; their share of the U.S. market plunged to 29 percent in 2004, from 49 percent in 1998, according to John Taylor of Arcadia Investment Corp. The market share of Nintendo and Sony each halved. Western publishers took up the slack. U.S. firm Electronic Arts now has nine of the top 20 best- selling games, and other American and European firms like Activision and Take-Two grabbed another six. The Christmas season, usually boom time for game makers, looks bleak for Japanese firms. Meanwhile those companies can no longer rely on their home market to quickly recoup their investments in new games. Although Western publishers still don't pose much of a threat in Japan, console-software sales have shrunk from $3.4 billion in 1998 to $2.2 billion last year, a whopping 35 percent drop. "We need the U.S. in order to be profitable," says Namco vice president Yoichi Haraguchi.

How did Japanese game publishers, who dominated the videogame industry in the 1990s, lose their edge so quickly? Several trends have conspired to put Japanese firms—at a disadvantage. Better visual realism, for instance, has made cultural specificity of paramount importance—Mario, Nintendo's four-foot plumber that starred in many of the company's most popular games, doesn't have the universal appeal he once had. The Japanese firms are also suffering from a failure to stay relevant to Western consumers, either through their own design prowess or by courting partnerships. "There are three things that make a hit in the current market," says Simon Cox, editor in chief of the U.S. magazine Xbox Nation. "It's either culturally relevant, superrealistic, or tied to a strong license. Japan currently scores zero on all three of those with their games." In effect, the gaming industry changed and Japanese firms failed to adapt.

The divergence in taste between U.S. and Japanese gamers is partly a matter of demographics. Videogames started out as part of the toy business, and at first publishers targeted mainly 8- to 12-year-olds. Sony's PlayStation in 1995 convinced preteens that gaming was cool, and this generation is still playing into their 30s. "What's surprised people is that the age of gamers has gone up dramatically and how sustained it's been," says Arcadia's Taylor. Cute and cuddly cartoons like Mario and Zelda were the dominant figures of the '90s, but the icons of the new millennium are gun-toting tough guys like Grand Theft Auto Vice City's Tommy Vercetti invented outside of Japan.

All this has left Japanese firms in a precarious position, and many of them have been slow to respond. Sega and Namco, for instance, still cling to their roots as arcade-game companies, even though consoles have eclipsed arcades as the platforms of choice. Both firms stubbornly continue to release some of their most popular franchises in arcades first and only later on consoles, which works in Japan where the former are still popular. In the United States, on the other hand, prior success in arcades adds zero promotional value to a new console game.

Japanese publishers also made a series of unwise decisions about which platforms to support. When Sega stopped producing its own videogame console in February 2001 and focused instead on making games for its former rivals, it promptly threw the bulk of its support behind Microsoft's Xbox, which turned out to be moderately successful in the United States, weak in Europe and moribund in Japan. In November 2002, Capcom abruptly announced it would publish five GameCube- exclusive titles—one of which, the highly successful Resident Evil franchise, was birthed on PlayStation—because one of its top executives had been wooed by Shigeru Miyamoto, the legendary designer behind Donkey Kong and Mario Brothers. Of the five, one flopped, another was a cult hit, one was canceled and the last two have yet to ship. Capcom even released a holiday 2002 Xbox-exclusive game that required a specialized $150 controller. Tecmo's best designer declared in May 2002 that he would make games only for Xbox because it was the most powerful console on the market.

Which leads to another of the Japanese firms' woes: its game creators are allowed to act like prima donnas. Even though—gaming has become an $18 billion-a-year global business, Japanese firms still pretend it's a cottage industry. Publishers have failed to make extensive use of market research and consumer feedback. "The standard model in Japan is that the publishing partner sees the game when it's nearly finished," says the former head of a major U.S. publisher. "If you're off target, you won't know it without feedback."

While Japanese firms dug themselves into a hole, top Western publishers aligned their products with the evolving tastes of the U.S. market. Many of them acquired some of Hollywood's biggest licenses: Harry Potter, "Spider-Man: The Movie," "Finding Nemo" and the rights to several Tom Clancy novels. As sports videogames soared in popularity, the lion's share of that market went to U.S.-based Electronic Arts, as Sony and Sega's games suffered from poor quality and marketing, respectively. "The game market in the West has expanded from fanatic gamers to more general public," says Nomura Securities analyst Yuta Sakurai. "That's why sports and Hollywood film-based games—the two strengths of —have gained popularity." Also, European companies like Eidos, Atari and Ubi Soft got a leg up in the North American market by buying a string of U.S. publishers and developers in the past 10 years. The Europeans once followed the artisan model of the Japanese, but their U.S. acquisitions gave them an infusion of modern business and development practices that most Japanese publishers have yet to acquire.

Some Japanese publishers are starting to get the message. Several of them have gotten over their aversion to U.S. licenses; Namco, Capcom, Sega and Square have acquired the rights to such Hollywood properties as "Escape From New York," "The Matrix," and Mickey Mouse. Konami recently moved the headquarters of its games division to Los Angeles. And Square and Namco are aiming at the PC game market, with massively multiplayer online games such as Final Fantasy XI and an as-yet-unnamed role-playing game from U.S.-based publisher Flagship Studios.

The challenge for the Japanese is to restructure their businesses quickly enough to survive the transition from the current generation of consoles to the next. It won't be easy. The cost of launching each game is expected to skyrocket—from $5 million-$10 million to about $15 million- $20 million. Don't expect Japan to give up without a fight. "It's not easy for us to change our mindset," says Namco's Haraguchi. "But we will come up with ideas that target the U.S. and Europe first." Let the games begin.

With Kay Itoi in Tokyo

That's the U.S market, looking at this thread you were talking about the entire western market, not the U.S alone.

BTW I'm not sure exactly what the big deal is. If Japanese publishers dominated the games market from the start then its only inevitable that western publishers would cach up and take there share of the market.

i think this would be a good deal, i don't care if they develop for xbox or for pc, their games are always genuinely good.. and having a company like microsoft there to back anything they want to do financially and with tech support could prove to be a good move for both parties involved.

Back