Microsoft rumored to be buying...... [2020-04, 2020-07, 2020-11]

Status
Not open for further replies.
bit off topic but I have been wondering, couldn't Microsoft make add on cards for things like different io, hook ups for a VR headset etc, that plug into the storage expansion port? its just pcie lanes in the end. A future xbox compatible VR headset could just come with a an adapter

bit off topic but I have been wondering, couldn't Microsoft make add on cards for things like different io, hook ups for a VR headset etc, that plug into the storage expansion port? its just pcie lanes in the end. A future xbox compatible VR headset could just come with a an adapter
The M.2 bus on which the card is predicated is limited to device classes supporting Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, satnav :???:, NFC, digital radio, WiGig, wireless WAN (WWAN) and SSDs. It's very specific. It's a long way from full PCIE.

The M.2 bus on which the card is predicated is limited to device classes supporting Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, satnav :???:, NFC, digital radio, WiGig, wireless WAN (WWAN) and SSDs. It's very specific. It's a long way from full PCIE.
Also the bandwidth would be minus the storage cartridge, as it would need to support it concurrently.

Seems a bit messy even if possible. Should've had usb-c gen 2.
Even if they don't support VR at launch, be crazy not to have planned for it.
Would WiFi6 have been fast enough for wireless VR?

Also the bandwidth would be minus the storage cartridge, as it would need to support it concurrently.

Seems a bit messy even if possible. Should've had usb-c gen 2.
Even if they don't support VR at launch, be crazy not to have planned for it.

Oculus link only uses 5gbps. Guess they could use a usb per eye for the 4k screened MSWMRValveindexhololens crossover device. :D

Maybe. The max bandwidth of 802.11ax (Wifi6) is 10Gbps anddelivering 700Mbps in real world environments. The protocol offers 8 streams with each stream offering upto 150 Mbps - the protocol is also much better at handling congestion.

It's latency that would be the hurdle.

What exactly is sent to the VR Headsets?

Can't they use HDMI signals to an adapter/processor box and then wireless from there to the headsets? The hdmi 2.1 signals are at least 40 Gbps. Surely that's plenty.

Can't they use HDMI signals to an adapter/processor box and then wireless from there to the headsets? The hdmi 2.1 signals are at least 40 Gbps. Surely that's plenty.

Yes, you could. It's just super lame to use a breakout box when USB C has it covered.

Sounds fidely and more expensive compared to supporting Wi-Fi 6.

MS up until now was pretty forward thinking with what they supported.
Obviously was a way to cut costs, but still surprised with the lack of support of tech that's either already established or just around the corner.

Sounds fidely and more expensive compared to supporting Wi-Fi 6.

MS up until now was pretty forward thinking with what they supported.
Obviously was a way to cut costs, but still surprised with the lack of support of tech that's either already established or just around the corner.

But is Wifi6 enough? Did anything come from 60 GHz Wifi, I think its called Wiig now? I vaguely remember something like that touted for VR what seems like decade ago. I can't recall exactly, memory cells are faded.

Besides, if they included all that tech now, what would the improve upon with console refreshes in 2 or 3 years? Not midgen upgrades, but like Slim editions etc.

I dont see what it gets you. You still have a device connected, just via USB C instead.

If PSVR2 is wired, it'll literally be a single wire from the HMD plugged into the front mounted USB C. It's a massively streamlined setup.

As Eastman pointed out though, with good enough compression Xbox could do the same with its front gen1 port.

If PSVR2 is wired, it'll literally be a single wire from the HMD plugged into the front mounted USB C. It's a massively streamlined setup.

As Eastman pointed out though, with good enough compression Xbox could do the same with its front gen1 port.

The quality of the Quest over USB is pretty good, IMO, and that only uses a fraction of the bandwidth that USB 2 provides.

If the console has a good high speed and high quality video encoder and the headset has a high speed high quality video decoder than there is multiple times more bandwidth available with USB 3.1 gen1 than you actually need.

The biggest problem with USB 3.1 gen1 is ensuring that it provides enough power to power the headset, and even that is unlikely to be a problem.

Regards,
SB

Currently with wireless oculus quest via wifi is more about interference issue than anything else. Using 5ghz in one room with the router or USB wifi stick practically eliminate all issues tho.

With PS4, Sony has shown that they can make their own portable Hotspot (was used for vita direct remote play). So they could do something that for psvr2 right?

PSVR2 direct connection to PS5

The quality of the Quest over USB is pretty good, IMO, and that only uses a fraction of the bandwidth that USB 2 provides.

If the console has a good high speed and high quality video encoder and the headset has a high speed high quality video decoder than there is multiple times more bandwidth available with USB 3.1 gen1 than you actually need.

The biggest problem with USB 3.1 gen1 is ensuring that it provides enough power to power the headset, and even that is unlikely to be a problem.

Regards,
SB
The Series X definitely has a high quality video encoder, that was one of the Azure driven additions to the chipset, but the S might not. And honestly the S makes VR unlikely for this generation. They'd have to only support the X to get a good experience, and I'm not sure that's something they're interested in. Given that there's still a ways to go before VR even hits critical mass focusing exclusively on PC is probably the right call.

But is Wifi6 enough? Did anything come from 60 GHz Wifi, I think its called Wiig now? I vaguely remember something like that touted for VR what seems like decade ago. I can't recall exactly, memory cells are faded.

Besides, if they included all that tech now, what would the improve upon with console refreshes in 2 or 3 years? Not midgen upgrades, but like Slim editions etc.
Think it's ok to make the comparison with PS5 here, that does have it.
The reason I also expected MS to have WiFi6 is because one of the stated reasons VR for consoles isn't a good experience was due to cables.
The Series X definitely has a high quality video encoder, that was one of the Azure driven additions to the chipset, but the S might not. And honestly the S makes VR unlikely for this generation. They'd have to only support the X to get a good experience, and I'm not sure that's something they're interested in. Given that there's still a ways to go before VR even hits critical mass focusing exclusively on PC is probably the right call.
XSS will more than likely have the same media engine, be more hassle than it's worth to include a different one. That includes, design, driver support, so on. Maybe less capable if ran at different speed or something, but I do expect it to be performant also.

As for supporting VR on it, will be like the PS4 and 4Pro experience, bigger difference though.
Could even have a cheap and expensive headset, that can work on either console but with different resolution and refresh rates if someone wanted budget experience all around.

XSS will more than likely have the same media engine, be more hassle than it's worth to include a different one. That includes, design, driver support, so on. Maybe less capable if ran at different speed or something, but I do expect it to be performant also.
And XSS likely will run some games at 4K/60/120 just fine so it needs the same ability to manage that.

What about a refresh of the Series S that's a micro-console for a wireless headset? You get a break-out box on the the current SKUs.

Tommy McClain

What about a refresh of the Series S that's a micro-console for a wireless headset? You get a break-out box on the the current SKUs.

Tommy McClain

A hip pack is more likely IMO

Also if you think about it , the oculus rift is wasteful. You have a great headset still with a good resolution but the arm chipset sucks. So now you have to go out and buy everything again. Yes you get better lenses but at the same time your dropping $400 again.

What if it was a hip pack that connects to the visor. That way you can do an upgrade but still use the headset it self. Maybe the hip pack would only set you back $100 or $200.

I could see that working for an xbox vr. You get a 5nm hip pack that is xss power and you can play the games and then 3 years later you get one that is xsx power ?

Anyway I don't think they will do a mobile vr. It will be tied to the box. maybe with kinect eye tracking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back