Microsoft reports strong second quarter results

Discussion in 'Beyond3D News' started by B3D News, Jan 25, 2008.

1. B3D News

B3D News Beyond3D News
    Regular

Microsoft released second quarter earnings yesterday, beating analyst expectations to come in at earnings of $0.50 per share on record revenues of $16.37 billion. Operating profits, also at a record for the quarter, came in at $6.48 billion.

Read the full news item

2. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Specious Misanthrope
    Legend

Back to back quarterly profits for the entertainment division. First time since xbox released?

3. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Well not quite the first time... ;)

I do find it interesting however that due to the high attach rate for the system for games and accessories that MS believes money spent on gaming for X360 exceeded money spent for Wii. Then again considering a Premium console is almost 200 more than a Wii, maybe not so surprising.

I'm wondering what Sony's quarterly earnings report will say to try to spin the PS3 in a good light. MS might be selling less consoles than Wii, but they are selling far...far...far more software. And for Nintendo although Wii might have a lower attach rate, the margins for the Wii are far higher than the X360.

PS3 if they aren't still selling at a loss would have miniscule margins, and I believe they also have the worst attach rate of all the consoles. The pain from that is compounded by the low install base compared to the other consoles.

Regards,
    SB

#3 Silent_Buddha, Jan 26, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2008