Microsoft Project xCloud (Game Streaming)

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by iroboto, Feb 4, 2019.

1. AzBat

AzBat Agent of the Bat
    Legend Veteran

Brad Sams has some more info on Project Xcloud...

https://www.thurrott.com/xbox/209742/xcloud-yarnell-and-anthem#

Sounds like newer revision of the XB1S blades. Guess we're getting closer to the public beta.

Tommy McClain

iroboto and BRiT like this.
  2. AzBat

AzBat Agent of the Bat
    Legend Veteran

Silent_Buddha and BRiT like this.
  3. cheapchips

Regular Newcomer

With phones aren't they going to have an issue with the controller obscuring light/proximity sensors?

4. Ike Turner

Veteran Regular

Simple solution: The Xcloud app could disable the sensors once a controller is attached to the phone. Any mobile app can be coded to take control of those sensor and the screen's brightness.

AzBat and BRiT like this.
  5. AzBat

AzBat Agent of the Bat
    Legend Veteran

Fortune did a nice video on xCloud. You can see the 2U rack hardware housing 8 XB1S systems here...

Tommy McClain

DSoup and BRiT like this.
  6. AzBat

AzBat Agent of the Bat
    Legend Veteran

No streaming only device planned...

Tommy McClain

7. DSoup

DSoup meh
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Not a technical observation but the corridors in this facility are narrow. Perhaps Microsoft only recruits thin people so that can easily pass each other in their narrow corridors, preventing congestion. I know this is an odd post, but I worked in a building where worked out that there was more space in the central atrium than in the office areas. When we queried this with the building team, they provided a 'quote' from the architect (so they said) saying something bonkers like "we want people's minds to have space to escape problems". Whereas my problem was trying to squeeze past Claudia, the Colombian lady who pushed around the tea/treats trolly, on my way to a meeting in room that could comfortably hold six but where there was ten people. You either brought your chair to meetings or risked having to stand. :???: Even if all ten people brought chairs you couldn't physically fit them all in the room. If you left your chair outside, somebody would likely steal it so that when you went back to your desk, you had nothing to sit on.

8. fehu

Veteran Regular

Sounds like Dilbert's workplace

AzBat and DSoup like this.
  9. DSoup

DSoup meh
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Worse I reckon. I read in the last couple of days, and I can't remember if I read it here or somewhere else, that Microsoft commented that cloud gaming isn't for everybody anytime soon but it's the future. They are definitely right. At some point, something - maybe with the widespread adoption of cheap 5G or whatever comes next - bandwidth and latency for the greater majority will be non-issues.

milk and Silent_Buddha like this.
  10. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha Subscriber

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2019/09/24/project-xcloud-public-preview/

Project xCloud Public Preview: Help Us Shape the Future of Game Streaming

Today we’re inviting the community to take the next step with us and join the Project xCloud (Preview), coming this October to the United States, United Kingdom and Korea.

Public preview is a critical phase in our multi-year ambition to deliver game streaming globally at the scale and quality of experience that the gaming community deserves and expects. It’s time to put Project xCloud to the test in a broader capacity, with a range of gamers, devices, network environments and real-world use-case scenarios, and this is where you come in. At Xbox, we’ve made it a priority to engage with all of you to help in the creation process. We now want you to play with us and share your feedback on Project xCloud so we can iterate and improve, week after week. Join us, have fun playing, share your stories and feedback, and be part of the journey.

Here’s what to expect from the Project xCloud public preview and how you can register to participate:

• If you’re in the US and UK, you can sign up to register today here, and if you’re in Korea, you can register here. We’ll begin to send invites in the coming weeks. With a goal of learning and improving quickly, we’re taking a phased approach to our public preview, starting with a small number of participants to get initial feedback, then opening it up to more and more gamers. If you don’t receive an invite right away, there will be other opportunities; we’ll continue to open up more spots over time.
    • Xbox launched with Halo, and so will the Project xCloud public preview. It will begin with Halo 5: Guardians, the all-new Gears 5, a fantastic fast-twitch fighter Killer Instinct, and the online adventure Sea of Thieves. This is just the beginning as our content library will continue to grow as the preview progresses.
    • There are a few requirements to participate in the Project xCloud preview. You’ll need a phone or tablet running Android 6.0 or higher with Bluetooth 4.0; a Microsoft account; a Bluetooth-enabled Xbox One Wireless Controller; and while not required, we recommend a phone mount for your controller. Project xCloud runs on Wi-Fi and mobile networks in your area.
    • You will be able to access content through our all-new Microsoft Game Streaming app, available in the coming weeks for Android devices. It’ll be available for all to download, but you’ll only be able to sign in once you’ve received an official invite into the preview.

DSoup, turkey and AzBat like this.
  11. orangpelupa

orangpelupa Elite Bug Hunter
    Legend Veteran

I want to try that on android on switch with joycon

12. Silent_Buddha

Legend

They definitely aren't being cautious about it. Immediately going in on fast action games where the effects of lag will be the most noticeable, especially Killer Instinct.

Regards,
    SB

Jay likes this.
  13. Jay

Jay
    Veteran Regular

I'm very surprised at the games they chose for their initial batch. Also no forza considering that's what they was showing of.

14. orangpelupa

Legend Veteran

I registered as US tester. Hopefully it won't do geo ip blocking.

Wanna try it on Android on Switch hahaha

15. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha Subscriber

You're not going to have a good experience if they let you in because you're too far away from the data centers that will be hosting the betas.

16. orangpelupa

Legend Veteran

I could VPN from data center to data center, thus reducing lag tremendously.

Currently with my routing, going to US server will need 250-350 ms.

But with VPN, it can go under 100ms.

But I want to try without VPN, I'm curious

17. AzBat

AzBat Agent of the Bat
    Legend Veteran

#117 AzBat, Oct 15, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
    Jay and BRiT like this.
  18. Jay

Jay
    Veteran Regular

BRiT likes this.
  19. AzBat

AzBat Agent of the Bat
    Legend Veteran

Here's the link to the Google Play app. If you didn't receive the invite it won't work though, but it can tell you if your device is compatible. My phone & Chromebook are not. :/

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.microsoft.xcloud&pageId=none

EDIT 1:

Reddit has a nice primer on it...

Evidently Microsoft is teaming up with PowerA for a controller clip. I'm hoping they're making one where the phone screen is closer to my face. Everything I've seen so far is so far away when it's is mounted on top of the controller.

Tommy McClain

#119 AzBat, Oct 15, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
    BRiT likes this.
  20. AzBat

AzBat Agent of the Bat
    Legend Veteran

Halo 5 gameplay recorded from a Galaxy S10...

Edit 1:

Halo 5 offscreen. Might be able to check input lag...

Tommy McClain

BRiT likes this.