Microsoft Project xCloud (Game Streaming), part of Game Pass Ultimate

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by iroboto, Feb 4, 2019.

1. AzBat

AzBat Agent of the Bat
    Legend Veteran

True, but I'm not convinced this for games outside the Game Pass service. How do you handle achievements, is there a specific time limit, etc. I could see it coming later. But for right now the easiest thing to do is put the Game Pass web browser version into the dashboard & call it a day.

Tommy McClain

Silent_Buddha and iroboto like this.
  2. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk
    Legend Regular Subscriber

They can disable achievements for any title you don't own. Limit the amount of time you are allowed to play the title on xcloud.

But I agree, I can see it coming later.
    Perhaps right now, it's just going to be, play now, while downloading/installing. No need to wait.

AzBat likes this.
  3. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk

4. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

One first party game every quarter.... a quarter is 3 months.... Sounds pretty familiar.... like someone was off by a month or so
    [​IMG]

BRiT and AzBat like this.
  5. Kise Ryota

Newcomer

I don't think they can do that with this one condition only. What if I am playing a game owned by another account?

AzBat and iroboto like this.
  6. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk

good point. It's pretty complex licensing as it is. Forgot about home account sharing.

Kise Ryota likes this.
  7. AzBat

AzBat Agent of the Bat
    Legend Veteran

Nope. :)

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...es-some-of-which-wont-come-to-light-for-years

Tommy McClain

BRiT and iroboto like this.
  8. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

Lol i know of 3 different hardware items I haven't talked about yet but don't know when they will drop the announcements . Just wait Microsoft is just waking up

9. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk

I know of 1 more. But seems like this could be longer than expected. Not sure how covid impacted things here on this front. But this text seems to indicate that the plan is still on. Duo and Neo got shelved for a long time before it came back.

AzBat, Silent_Buddha and BRiT like this.
  10. mrcorbo

mrcorbo Foo Fighter
    Veteran

Pete and AzBat like this.
  11. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

Hmm wonder if we know the same things .
    employees got access last week. Check out my post

AzBat and BRiT like this.
  12. Jay

Jay
    Veteran Regular

I've got some catching up to do.
    But the benefit of the proprietary controller wifi compared to Bluetooth is latency. Which is even more important with streaming.
    Also a good stack, compared to the Bluetooth one that may not be as efficient on tv and phones etc.

Might try to Google if they've actually compared them anywhere.

BRiT likes this.
  13. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

no doubt but i'd wager for most who just want to stream games they will be fine with any latency they find.

Those who are really worried about it will get a console or gaming device or perhaps get the xbox xcloud streaming stick that should have the best streaming option

14. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Not just latency, but robustness as well. Where I live, there are so many high power wifi-transmitters that BT will become choppy or just drop entirely at times. I've tested with different BT devices including an iPhone 12 with AirPod gen 2 (usually more resilient than other BT devices). OTOH the Logitech proprietary wireless on the G903 never drops or hiccups. The same went for the Xbox Elite Controller combined with an Xbox wireless dongle (no BT support on the Elite that I have).

I've been thinking of getting an Xbox Wireless headset (since I already have the USB dongle) since all BT wireless headsets go to shite here when everyone starts to heavily use their internet. Would be nice if everyone turned off their 2.4 GHz transmitters (I'm assuming it's this band that is interfering) on their routers, but that's unlikely to happen. :p

Oh and I've noticed that some 1000+ watt microwaves also have a tendency to wreak havok with nearby BT devices. Bleh. I just happen to have one of them. But again, they don't interfere with Logitech non-BT wireless devices nor Xbox Wireless devices.

Regards,
    SB

15. Johnny Awesome

Veteran

Good way to get around the world-wide chip shortage for some titles at least.

PSman1700 and AzBat like this.
  16. PSman1700

Legend Newcomer

Good way to abandon Xone hardware :)

17. cheapchips

Veteran Newcomer

They still need chips (fairly) local to users. They'll achieve higher occupancy than a home console but peak times and large releases might be an issue?

It'll be interesting to see if the likes of Starfield dropping are enough to create "no stream available" messages.

18. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

It's a captive audience for the most part where you can easily sell xcloud / game pass ultimate to. Even offer them a free month of it when halo comes out and drive home that they can play it on the 4k edition on xbox one , pc , browser or tv.

its a really smart move.

Johnny Awesome and PSman1700 like this.