Microsoft Project xCloud (Game Streaming), part of Game Pass Ultimate

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by iroboto, Feb 4, 2019.

1. HLJ

HLJ
    Regular Newcomer

That is just a console replacement, like I stated before ;)

2. SmooTh

Newcomer

3. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

Internal xcloud gets Backwards Compatibility.

So far Banjo Kazooie , Banjo Tooie , Gears 2 , 3 , judgement , jetpac refuelled , kameo , perfect dark zero

4. Arnold Beckenbauer

Veteran Subscriber

eastmen and BRiT like this.
  5. Arnold Beckenbauer

Veteran Subscriber

xCloud or streamimg from his Xbox from home?

DSoup likes this.
  6. BRiT

BRiT (>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
    Moderator Legend Alpha

Most likely testing out the PC App for xCloud.

AzBat likes this.
  7. liams

Regular Newcomer

the arm64 version even (its a surface pro x)

BRiT likes this.
  8. Kise Ryota

Newcomer

With these winks from Kevin, iOS and PC support should be very close now

9. Rangers

Legend

I use Xcloud for a weird reason, which is I like to play Destiny, but I often uninstall it for a few days to better force myself to stay off it. Yes, I'm weird. This means I know I have a 30-45 minute install which is a helpful barrier to playing more Destiny (it only takes that long to Dl the entire 70GB game on my 400 mbps connection).

However sometimes I'll notice a Destiny mod I need on sale at an NPC via a daily twitter bot. I can just hop on my S7 tablet via Xcloud, and grab the mod and I even got a dedicated controller for it free too in Samsung deal.

The thing I've noticed that gives it the edge over Stadia is, I own all the Desrtiny expansions on Xbox. It's free on stadia but only the base game.

On Xcloud the loading can be longer though, as I believe it's matchmaking with regular Xbox players, where Stadia can at times be more instantaneous with loading. Not a huge deal though.

So to me that is the unforseen deciding factor in favor of Xcloud over Stadia. With Gamepass you will have an instant library. Of course in theory you'll pay for it too (I'm still on the $1 gamepass thing for a few more months). But it's one more thing to make a gamepass sub worth it.

Definitely a cool option.

I do notice it actually looks significantly worse and jaggier than the Series X version. As far as I could tell the lag is exactly the same as Stadia, which means crucible is unplayable, but it would be ok for light PVE. That is though earlier tonight the Xcloud D2 lag seemed less than any playsession before, maybe they brought new closer to me servers online, or maybe it's my imagination.

I also got one of those Razer Kishi's for the phone thing, but Destiny on such a small screen isn't all that fun either. More of a cool proof of concept.

AzBat and BRiT like this.
  10. BRiT

BRiT (>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
    Moderator Legend Alpha

I wonder how far along they are with replacing the cloud OneS instances with SeriesX blades. Even if they still one OneS or SeriesS versions, it will load so much faster not running on those puny Jag cores. Even if still streaming at 720p the game quality should be improved for games which have current-gen patches.

I think there's still an event scheduled sometime in the next week about the state of xCloud and GamePass. Hope to find out more when it happens.

11. cheapchips

Veteran Newcomer

Series speed load time will be pretty transformative for xCloud I think, moreso than 1080p+ streaming.

12. Jay

Jay
    Veteran Regular

Something I've been very curious about.
    With the world wide chip shortage that's going on, I wonder how effected its been.

13. cheapchips

Veteran Newcomer

Me too. The number of concurrent player actually streaming is likely to leap with the iOS/PC rollout. At the moment I doubt they have many players who are using streaming for the majority of their play time.

14. liams

Regular Newcomer

I wont be able to find were I saw it, but someone at xbox said there are more people in south korea who are streaming xbox games using xcloud than own xbox consoles. And in the announcement of xbox's partnership with SK telecom (I think, it was with a south korean telecom firm) to push gamepass ultimate in South Korea they said their goal was to get to iirc 2-3 m subs in South Korea alone by 2025

DSoup likes this.
  15. AzBat

AzBat Agent of the Bat
    Legend Veteran

https://www.sktelecom.com/en/press/press_detail.do?page.page=1&idx=1441&page.type=all&page.keyword=

Tommy McClain

liams and BRiT like this.
  16. Arnold Beckenbauer

Veteran Subscriber

Special event this week?

17. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

Internal only update to the pc app was released yesterday

18. Arnold Beckenbauer

Veteran Subscriber

On YouTube there are some videos with Xbox Cloud gaming on PC test app with downloadlinks for sideloading (I would never download such apps from unknown sources). Some of these videos are 2-3 weeks old.

19. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

Xcloud x64 has been available to employees for almost a a year now> i've used it on a surface hub and a neo.

Arnold Beckenbauer and BRiT like this.
  20. Arnold Beckenbauer

Veteran Subscriber

So it`s "only" test app for developers/employees?
    xCloud per Windows 10 - Microsoft al lavoro per introdurre le funzionalità di streaming e cloud gaming sull'app Xbox - Aggiornamenti Lumia

(Translated with Edge)