Microsoft Project xCloud (Game Streaming), part of Game Pass Ultimate

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by iroboto, Feb 4, 2019.

1. Jay

Jay
    Veteran Regular

I really wouldn't worry about xsx xcloud being able to play 4 XO games.
    They developed the hardware and xsx xcloud OS to do it. Once it's virtualized i doubt they'll be any compatibility issues for us to worry about.
    As in its not something they've thought of after the fact. At the minimum they would've been planning to do 2 - 3 XO's. Once you can do 2 you have must of the things in place.

What I expect.
    • It will stream the XO version of games to mobiles, tablets, 1080p tv's.
    • xsx exclusives can only stream that as there is no XO version.
    • When they support 4k tv's then they'll stream the xsx version.

The expectations is that most people playing on xcloud will fall into the able to use the XO version of the game. 4k tv owners will probably buy the hardware, for the short to medium term at least.

AzBat likes this.
  2. mpg1

Veteran Newcomer

When describing how compatibility works on XSX they said it is using the full power of the hardware. Which means it's virtualized differently than how it is working on Xcloud. Which means extra testing.

#242 mpg1, Jul 17, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
  3. Jay

Jay
    Veteran Regular

But it's something that they factored into the design from the start.

PSman1700 and BRiT like this.
  4. Ronaldo8

Newcomer

The xcloud strategy from Microsoft is quite shocking in that it seems extremely well thought out, which is atypical of MS gaming pursuits in the past. Tremendous synergy and economies of scale obtained by cleverly designing the XSX. MS is about to take over the gaming world with its competitors not even able to muster a shot.Quite remarkable.

5. Ronaldo8

Newcomer

? Try to at least make sense.

6. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Do you actually stream GamePass games? Nvidia streaming requires access to the executable which is impossible with MS games.

7. cheapchips

Veteran Newcomer

Yes. You add C:\windows\system32\mstsc.exe in GFE. It doesn't use MS remote sharing but works as an indicator that you want it to show your desktop. You can then run any app from your desktop, including the Xbox app. I've played some MCC this way.

8. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

And that allows things like Shield controller to control the remote game? What about full DD audio?

9. cheapchips

Veteran Newcomer

It should work the same as far as I can see (but I am using Moonlight as the client)

10. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

Perhaps there will be a premium version of game pass in the future with XSX level hardware. However I doubt it. I think they will try and match it to the device your using. If your using a cell phone off a mobile connection or spotty wifi they may only give you 1080p. If your on a windows pc with great connection maybe in the future you'll get 4k

I've used the x86 client a few time sand its really nice. Guess I shouldn't say x86. It supports x64, arm , arm 64

Jay likes this.
  11. DxCore

Newcomer

I'm currently on "Ultimate" .. Their better not be a tier above "ultimate", like seriously wth would they be thinking if there were ...

DSoup likes this.
  12. cheapchips

Veteran Newcomer

Ultimate 4k?

Ultimate Pro?

13. fehu

Veteran Regular

On the surface both are used to play games, so people want games, it will work like a charm! No.
    With kinect it didin't worked. A better version of a successful accessory.
    People just wanted to play games on their couch, and the company that concentrated all the resources on developing games won.

Now xcloud. It's cool, people until now like it, it's diverting communication money time and people from just making games and improving the sdk, still stadia is all but successful.
    Just my feeling, but there's the possibility, that like mixer, in two years it will be a perfectly fine working waste of time that nobody use.

14. cheapchips

Veteran Newcomer

Mixer is an odd one I that it was really well used to stream. It was just that no one was watching any of those streams!

They've seen good player engagement with the xCloud trial. Players are playing more. The issue for MS is that these are core players. Does usage grow beyond them? We'll see once it hits the 10m+ Gamepass users.

I don't think we can use Stada as a measure of success for Gamepass streaming. Stada is an expensive tech demo at present. Gamepass's Netflix like model makes it a very different value proposition. Not least because MS can draw people in with 'irresistible' trials.

PSman1700, AzBat and BRiT like this.
  15. BRiT

BRiT Verified (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha

Rename Ultimate to Ultra.
    Add a Plus Ultra.

AzBat and orangpelupa like this.
  16. orangpelupa

orangpelupa Elite Bug Hunter
    Legend Veteran

Wii and kinect 360 were successful. Dunno why kinect Xbox 1 dies so fast. Maybe need a special thread to talk about kinectv2's life and demise.

Is it because x1 was more expensive? Is it because there are very few killer games? Are people already bored with Wii (but isn't there a bajilion of kids that doesn't even know Wii?), is Nintendo the only developer who can make motion control games that sells?

Because personally I don't think it's simply because people just want to play on couch. As kinectv2's non-waggle features are awesome and comes way earlier than competition (secure auto login via face Rec, voice commands with wide field mics, auto camera tracking for Skype, background removal, etc) that works on couch.

There's also VR that looks like nobody buying, but come the killer app (alyx), and it's out of stock or long order on many places. Oh and isn't psvr selling well?

OMG my English is getting worse

17. BRiT

BRiT Verified (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha

AzBat and orangpelupa like this.
  18. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

Netflix charges more for 4k they have basic , standard , premium.

Peacock has a free tier , premium and then add free premium.

So perhaps when XSX streaming coming to gamepass ultimate perhaps they will change up the plans.

Who knows what they will do.

I mean i get amazon prime music with my prime account but then i can pay for amazon music which gives me even content and more devices i can stream on at once

19. Jay

Jay
    Veteran Regular

Did mixer ever get PS support (app etc)
    I thought I heard it was already at 10m?
    Also do we know that it's actually core players?
    Not saying you're wrong, just curious about your reasoning.

20. Jay

Jay
    Veteran Regular

I have know ideas what their going to do but an option would be:
    • Create gamepass silver (current gamepass same price) XO and older games.
    • Gamepass and gamepass ultimate increase cost with the inclusion of XS games.
    • Ultimate will include XS streaming for free as is the case for XO.
    Gamepass silver is then basically for current XO gen. People will naturally and organically move up the tiers and cost, especially as more XS exclusives are added.