Microsoft Project xCloud (Game Streaming), now offering Fortnite free without GPU membership

My X1X(wired) & XB1S(wifi) both stream fine to my phone(don't have a Win10 PC). Sounds like you might have a router issue.

Tommy McClain

It's a good point. I haven't specifically looked X1S router config since PC streaming was fine. I'll have a poke around and see what I can break.

My X1S is wired, so local streaming is at the same butterfly disadvantage as xCloud. :D It still come off significantly worse, which seems odd. I've also had the same issue with Xbox to PC streaming, which is entirely wired. PC streaming to the TV and laptop is fine, so there definitely something naughty going on with our X1S.

I recommend an ORBI . I have a 3 orbi set up. I ran cabling from the basement up to the 3rd floor to connect each orbi together but they also link wireless at the same time

https://www.netgear.com/orbi/rbk753s.aspx

This is what I have. I got it at costco for a good deal. I see there is a newer one for higher speeds also.

Xcloud becomes part of Ultimate in September.

You will get more from your Xbox Game Pass Ultimate membership. Finally, today we’re announcing that this September, in supported countries, we’re bringing Xbox Game Pass and Project xCloud together at no additional cost for Xbox Game Pass Ultimate members. With cloud gaming in Game Pass Ultimate, you will be able to play over 100 Xbox Game Pass titles on your phone or tablet. And because Xbox Live connects across devices, you can play along with the nearly 100 million Xbox Live players around the world. So when Halo Infinite launches, you and your friends can play together and immerse yourselves in the Halo universe as Master Chief—anywhere you go and across devices.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/07/16/players-first-you-are-the-future-of-gaming/

In September, xCloud will be a part of the Xbox Game Pass Ultimate at no additional cost.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/07/16/players-first-you-are-the-future-of-gaming/
  • You will get more from your Xbox Game Pass Ultimate membership. Finally, today we’re announcing that this September, in supported countries, we’re bringing Xbox Game Pass and Project xCloud together at no additional cost for Xbox Game Pass Ultimate members. With cloud gaming in Game Pass Ultimate, you will be able to play over 100 Xbox Game Pass titles on your phone or tablet. And because Xbox Live connects across devices, you can play along with the nearly 100 million Xbox Live players around the world. So when Halo Infinite launches, you and your friends can play together and immerse yourselves in the Halo universe as Master Chief—anywhere you go and across devices.

Cloud gaming in Xbox Game Pass Ultimate means your games are no longer locked to the living room. You can connect more than ever with friends and family through gaming. And just like you do with your movie and music streaming services, when cloud gaming launches into Xbox Game Pass Ultimate, you can continue your game wherever you left off on any of your devices.

I have to assume they mean using things like last save point, where if you turn off the console and reload the game it's where you'd start from.

I can't imagine they're talking about last quick-save points (checkpoints in Halo) and certainly not the Series-X feature of Quick Resume. I'm not sure there's an easy way of syncing the last feature Quick Resume with xCloud, unless every time the "Save" portion of Quick Resume is triggered it uploads Gigs of memory into the cloud. That sounds entirely unfeasible with the amount of DSL and Cable connections with horrible upstream bandwidth in the vast majority of the US, let alone rural areas that barely have downstream bandwidth.

Cool that they didn't tack on an extra $5 like I thought they might but it also sounds like not all Gamepass games will be available.

Last edited:
Yeah, one positive along with possible negative. One aspect of the the later is likely due to legal, again. It requires new contracts and for those currently on GamePass a contract amendment.

In addition to that, I'm sure the developers/publisher have final say as they may not want to compete with themselves if they have a mobile version of the game already, or if streaming just isn't up to par with their vision for the user experience.

I can't imagine they're talking about last quick-save points (checkpoints in Halo) and certainly not the Series-X feature of Quick Resume. I'm not sure there's an easy way of syncing the last feature Quick Resume with xCloud, unless every time the "Save" portion of Quick Resume is triggered it uploads Gigs of memory into the cloud.
What is needed is a system-wide standard for capturing all game state data, rather than the entire contents of RAM. I am still kind of hoping for this for next-gen because it makes much more sense than saving out 10-12Gb of RAM every time you swap between games. That's going to hurt the SSD long-term if you do this a lot.

Then when you resume, you load up the game engine, it opens the state data, then loads all the assets it needs to resume exactly where you left off. This is definitely not an unsolvable problem, just a bit different to how many games typically save a traditional save game. Elder Scrolls and Fallout games are already doing close to this.

Yeah, one positive along with possible negative. One aspect of the the later is likely due to legal, again. It requires new contracts and for those currently on GamePass a contract amendment.

In addition to that, I'm sure the developers/publisher have final say as they may not want to compete with themselves if they have a mobile version of the game already, or if streaming just isn't up to par with their vision for the user experience.

One would think it would be rather seamless for Microsoft to implement a contract to cover Xcloud as well. The 3rd party publishers are already signing a contract for a subscription service with the same company...it's just the now with an additional delivery method.

With Nvidia it was more a blatant thing with "play the game you purchased from this other vendors store on our service."

Oh yeah, I'm sure that'll be the contract version MS prefer to push going forward. I think MS probably wants to keep options open, like they would still want to be able to get a game on the GamePass service even if the devs/pubs dont want it on xCloud.

I was more talking about why the existing games are not part of it. Also why they couldn't make the statement of all GamePass games will be available on xCloud.

So, to get onto a real speculative aspect... Do you think Microsoft will push for xCloud availability for GamePass PC-only titles? Like ability to stream to your PC the PC only titles, so you don't need to install the titles locally or even have gaming capable hardware other then keyboard and mouse?

Oh yeah, I'm sure that'll be the contract version MS prefer to push going forward. I think MS probably wants to keep options open, like they would still want to be able to get a game on the GamePass service even if the devs/pubs dont want it on xCloud.

Right, I'm sure Micrososft wouldn't want to exclude titles from GamePass because a publisher didn't want to be a part of a streaming service. But given that most 3rd party games on GamePass are older games that probably don't make a lot of money otherwise anymore... I'm not sure why it would even bother them...

Most of the contracts for the service is not permanent (ie the games rotate out) anyway..

The list will expand over time. There is a bunch of value for Companies that put older games up on game pass. The value comes from people buying micro transactions or dlc to enhance the game. I don't know if it will be the same with xcloud. I haven't encountered a game where you can purchase the dlc on game pass and play it. It might be an option going forward

Anyway for me Gamepass + xcloud is a great play. Remember you can use bing to get microsoft rewards which you can buy game pass ultimate with. They even have game pass quests where you earn poitns by playing some games

Great to have confirmation on Project xCloud being included in Game Pass Ultimate for free. I was expecting this from the beginning. I'm also expecting all Series X titles will support Project Cloud from the beginning whether they are in Game Pass or not. That's when I expect them to retire the Project xCloud name too.

Now will this let me start a game on my console, pause it, then resume it on my phone when I have to go the john? :D

Seriously though, I suspect running on xCloud servers will still require you to log out of your account on the console. You still won't be allowed to stay logged into both at the same time. Now, if you're console streaming off your local network(not xCloud) you can go to the john with no problems. That's been my experience in the beta at least, but it's been a few months since I last tried.

Tommy McClain

I'm also expecting all Series X titles will support Project Cloud from the beginning whether they are in Game Pass or not.
All first party games will go into xcloud day and date.
There is no first party xsx exclusives to worry about.
Xsx xcloud isn't due for at least a year.
Any xsx third party xsx exclusives will not go into xcloud.

Now, if you're console streaming off your local network(not xCloud) you can go to the john with no problems. That's been my experience in the beta at least, but it's been a few months since I last tried.

You should go to the bathroom daily. :runaway:

Any xsx third party xsx exclusives will not go into xcloud.

Not sure I agree. We will see. My comment about from "the beginning" is when Project xCloud is no longer a beta for Series X. My thinking that's sometime next year when they upgrade the servers. It will be a huge let down if you can't expect all Series X games(1st & 3rd party) to be playable via xCloud once they upgrade their servers.

Tommy McClain

Back