Microsoft Project xCloud (Game Streaming), now offering Fortnite free without GPU membership

Hard to use xcloud on a iPhone, things are just too tiny to be useful. If they could fix that, it would be more reasonable.

Do you mean the games or the general UI? Because I've seen people play Fortnite on stupidly small screens.

The resolution issues affect all phones I think, the resolution of the game doesn't scale that well.
Got ya, know what you mean now.
This is another thing I'm disappointed about.
MS are actively supporting MCC for example, and yet they've not implemented their own xcloud ui api yet.
They should be picking a few games and using them as examples to devs and users.
I know they have a lot going on at the moment, but still.

Hard to use xcloud on a iPhone, things are just too tiny to be useful. If they could fix that, it would be more reasonable. But surprised people are actively using it at least here in Canada. There's only so much miniature halo MCC I can play (cough 5 minutes) before I want to throw my phone out

Good luck getting a full iPhone release. Apple made several restrictions last year to their App Store that will cause issues for all cloud gaming services...

https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/streaming-games-from-the-cloud.51985/page-4#post-2071302

Tommy McClain

yea maybe it's me, perhaps i'm just not used to miniature gaming.
I'm not either, using Switch in portable mode is a last resort. That said, after a few minutes you do just seem to focus in on the screen and forget about it but I'm not a fan for posture reasons.

Microsoft is pushing API changes that allow developers change UI & work better with touch controls if they detect the game is running on xCloud.

Tommy McClain

In the recent insider update about XSX updates, look like xCloud is rolling into Gamepass this year. Hopefully it stays in the Ultimate tier.

Later this year Project xCloud and Xbox Game Pass will come together, enabling you and your friends to play together in more ways.

Hard to use xcloud on a iPhone, things are just too tiny to be useful. If they could fix that, it would be more reasonable. But surprised people are actively using it at least here in Canada. There's only so much miniature halo MCC I can play (cough 5 minutes) before I want to throw my phone out

I think phones are not the best usage for any type of gaming. I've even tried the elite 2 controller playing call of duty on my phone. Its not great even when there is no streaming involved.

I think things like the surface go , surface neo , ipad , surface pro/x and so on are where this will excel . That's when a screen is big enough. I've used it on all types of devices , currently using it on a 10 inch fire tablet from 3 years ago and its really nice. To me having a tablet in a bag that I can use for more than just games is interesting. I can't wait for the windows client to hit since I always have my surface pro when traveling I can now just carry an xbox controller in by messenger bag and can game on the go.

In the recent insider update about XSX updates, look like xCloud is rolling into Gamepass this year. Hopefully it stays in the Ultimate tier.

Yeah, I mentioned that last Thursday up above. ;)

Agreed about the phone experience. Only makes sense if you have a large screen & a clip. But then again, some less complicated games are pretty good on it. Unfortunately my phone Internet has not been the best. I would have a different opinion had it been better. Can't wait for the tablet experience. Just wished it worked on my Chromebook 2-in-1.

Tommy McClain

Yeah, I mentioned that last Thursday up above. ;)

Agreed about the phone experience. Only makes sense if you have a large screen & a clip. But then again, some less complicated games are pretty good on it. Unfortunately my phone Internet has not been the best. I would have a different opinion had it been better. Can't wait for the tablet experience. Just wished it worked on my Chromebook 2-in-1.

Tommy McClain
They should let it rip on console.

seemed like an obvious use case in hindsight.
I'm glad to see the levels of collaborative discussion happening at MS.

if covid is sticking around for a long time, this is the type of thing that's really going to help studios out in the long run.

this may also singly handily change the way studios decide to do Q&A and build testing go forward if this model works out for them. Spawn a whole company of global Q&A testers and ramp up and down he number of testers you need.

Had a play with Halo3 on Sunday and it worked surprisingly well. It's much more stable than streaming from my wired X1S for some reason.

wifi sucks , a butterfly flaps its wings and the signal goes crazy lool

My X1S is wired, so local streaming is at the same butterfly disadvantage as xCloud. :D It still come off significantly worse, which seems odd. I've also had the same issue with Xbox to PC streaming, which is entirely wired. PC streaming to the TV and laptop is fine, so there definitely something naughty going on with our X1S.

My X1X(wired) & XB1S(wifi) both stream fine to my phone(don't have a Win10 PC). Sounds like you might have a router issue.

Tommy McClain

I've had some very odd issues streaming from my wired console to my wired desktop that only has 1 network switch between. It happens so rarely, but sometimes it will disconnect, but it only happens when I'm loading a game from SSD and it hits the CPU intensive sections. It's like the poor little Jag cores can't keep up with sending network packets. I reconnect immediately and I'm good to go until the next semi-random time it happens.

Back