Microsoft Original XBox Backwards Compatibility *SPAWN*

Riddlewire

Regular
For five hunnerd bucks they still can't just emulate Grandad Xbox as a machine?
Still with the "downloaded profiles for select games" mess?

The reason why some games are not on the BC list isn't because of technical issues, it's because of stupid freaking distribution and publishing rights.
You're missing the point of what I'm saying.
Distribution and publishing rights only come into play when you're releasing recompiled binaries and emulation profiles. If MS doesn't provide any of that and only makes some software which emulates their own original hardware, then rights issues are irrelevant. There's only one party which can prevent that: Nvidia.

Distribution and publishing rights only come into play when you're releasing recompiled binaries and emulation profiles.

Not entirely true. Though I guess if by "emulation profile" you mean having to download the packaged assets, then that's true.

Distribution and publishing rights only come into play when you're releasing recompiled binaries and emulation profiles. If MS doesn't provide any of that and only makes some software which emulates their own original hardware, then rights issues are irrelevant. There's only one party which can prevent that: Nvidia.

Giving this more thought, I can only think the reason they don't go with a pure emulator is concerns over pirating. It would become too easy to simply download the images of the original games and be able to play them all regardless of actually owning or having the disc.

Giving this more thought, I can only think the reason they don't go with a pure emulator is concerns over pirating. It would become too easy to simply download the images of the original games and be able to play them all regardless of actually owning or having the disc.

Nvidia still owns the tech of the NV2A. They won't allow MS to create an emulator for it without paying up. And, considering Nvidia refuses to talk about it (I emailed them a few years ago), I'm guessing there's no amount high enough that they'd be willing to allow MS to pay for that privilege.

OG Xbox games was never sold digitally, therefore it's a new distribution channel which would require authorisation from publisher.
i doubt they would limit it to disk games, that makes no sense, and how many people would still have the disks now anyway.

so put the games up for sale on the store for cheap.

I hope the original Xbox emulation has improved. Ninja Gaiden Black, one of my favourite games ever, ran perfect on the X360 emulator of the original Xbox. But games like Forza 1 and Fable showed a lot of artifacts because of the low resolution and going from the original interlaced graphics to progressive screens. I mean, Forza was a good looking game on the original Xbox but any good memory I had of it...wish I didn't play it on the emulator, because the rendering was very low res, maybe it was just 1:1 scaling and the 480p resolution didn't help because it rendered in a small screen.

Ninja Gaiden Black was an entirely different thing. It ran at 60 fps and it looked as glorious as in the original console.

OG Xbox games was never sold digitally, therefore it's a new distribution channel which would require authorisation from publisher.
i doubt they would limit it to disk games, that makes no sense, and how many people would still have the disks now anyway.

/me looks at his small pile of Original Xbox discs and smirks.

Granted, I would rather not have to deal with original discs. I'm already disliking it when I have to put in X360 Disc to play those on Xbox One.

Xbox BC was a pleasant surprise and I think it fits nicely with their strategy of providing ongoing value for people who have invested in Xbox software over the years. If the goal is to convince people to buy software on their platforms, it makes a lot of sense to me to visibly reward those who have been doing so for years and especially those who have been doing so for the longest.
XBox BC was an ok surprise. Nothing that exciting IMO.
It is one of the things people will express easilly that they want without caring trully enough and would have done without.
It just completes the whole BC ecosystem
XB wasnt that big to begin with during its time. It just drilled a few billion dollars hole into MS's finances to retain it in the market while userbase was not seeing much growth. In other words XBox investment back in the day was small.
It will barely be used as much as 360's games.

I'm trying to think of one OG XB game that would be fun to play that doesn't have a better PC version or remaster. Midtown Madness? I drawing blanks, there were not many classics on the system that wasn't Halo or GTA. PS2 had a ton of exclusives, but the XB was my Halo machine.

how many people would still have the disks now anyway.

The 20+ million original Xbox owners.

Should I have to repurchase the hundreds of games I already bought and still have the discs for?

Also, OG XBOX games WERE sold digitally for the 360 (In fact, you can still buy Ninja Gaiden Black for your 360 right now). But it wasn't the entire library. And emulation didn't work great for most of them. There are a ton of games that were never compatible on the 360 and the developer/publisher no longer exist. Those games will become extinct once the last OG Xbox mobo/drive dies. (Except for some with modded machines and ripped roms).

I'm trying to think of one OG XB game that would be fun to play that doesn't have a better PC version or remaster. Midtown Madness? I drawing blanks, there were not many classics on the system that wasn't Halo or GTA. PS2 had a ton of exclusives, but the XB was my Halo machine.

The MechWarrior game was great on XBX (As opposed to the XBO-X). As was Ninja Gaiden. There's others as well but I can't think of them off the top of my head. DOA 3 as well as the actually really good DOA Xtreme Beach Volleyball was also Xbox exclusive.

Regards,
SB

Crimson skies is really good. And Ninja Gaiden (Black), of course. This last was a blessing and a curse, because it spoiled all other character action games for me. That may be the last time I actually felt like the controller in my hands was directly connected to my brain. The controls, and the way the game responded to them, were perfect.

There were lots of games that were multiplatform in the sixth generation that had no PC version. Nine times out of ten, the Xbox version looked and ran the best. Those would be good titles to have true BC for.

that's right, but just a little correction. OG Xbox games were sold digitally in the X360 store when the X360 OG Xbox emulator was functional. That's how I got one of the best games yet, Ninja Gaiden Black, and I still have the digital copy in my purchase history. Just from that game, OG Xbox emulation is worth for me. If they can enhance the resolution to 4k and AF to 16X, Ninja Gaiden Black is still a sight to behold. Gameplay wise, the game is at a whole new level, incredible game.

Last edited:
I'm assuming they are going to offer to buy digitally because trying to find physical copies of original Xbox games aint nearly as easy as Xbox 360 games...

I have two totes worth of Xbox games. I'll be breaking that out of storage when this launches.
I don't NGB though, so I hope they offer a digital purchase of it as I've been looking for years in the used bin for it.

Back