Microsoft increases XBLA size limit to 150MB; announces larger memory card

Discussion in 'Beyond3D News' started by Carl B, Mar 5, 2007.

1. Carl B

Carl B Friends call me xbd
    Moderator Legend

Microsoft has issued a <a href=http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2007/mar07/03-04512MBMemoryUnitPR.mspx>press release</a> indicating that the XBox LIVE Arcade (XBLA) game size limit is to be increased from 50MB to 150MB, effective immediately.

A primary driver for the previous limit on size was a desire for owners of the XBox 360 to be able to fit downloaded titles onto Microsoft's 64MB memory cards - the hitherto sole persistant storage method available to owners of the "Core" bundle that had opted not to purchase the larger hard drive. In line with providing a non-HDD option to handle the increased size allowance, Microsoft also announced that 512MB memory cards will soon be made available at retail for US $49.99, and come with the popular "Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved" pre-loaded; the pre-existing 64MB card will see a simultaneous price drop to US $29.99 from the current $39.99.

Microsoft's introduction of a memory card weighing in at eight times the previous size at a price only marginally greater than the current model provides the consumer with a much improved value relative to the present 64MB card. The pricing and size options are not yet competitive with rivals Nintendo and Sony, however, which have both moved to open standards on the mobile memory front with their newest generation of consoles.

2. Geo

Geo Mostly Harmless
    Legend

On the one hand, glad to see it --clearly a positive development. On the other, just paid $24 for a SanDisk 1GB SD at Amazon about two weeks ago! There were cheaper ones, but I didn't want to take a chance on being handed a ripoff (which certainly can happen with flash memory), so I got one from Amazon directly instead of some of the other vendor options that were listed.

3. StefanS

StefanS meandering Velosoph
    Veteran

MS is certainly determined to make a good buck on its peripherals to make up for losses they took and will take again after a price drop.

4. pakotlar

Banned

Id rather have this in exchange for a more stable platform, better dev relations, and a cheaper console.

5. zsouthboy

Regular

To those complaining about only 512 MB for $50 -

I picked up a PS2 slim a little while ago (never had a PS before)..

I was fucking LIVID over the fact that I had to pay Sony $25 for 8 fucking megabytes of flash.

LIVID.
    Seriously.

You should've heard me bitching about it to everyone.
    Well, I suppose I still am. :)