Microsoft Game Stack VRS Update

eastmen

Legend
Supporter

nSLcXxN.png

8qV6FpK.png

Some really interesting stuff here

Last edited:
Awesome. So little bro XsS going to get even better.
Well, yeah, but it's not like that extra budget isn't going to be used somewhere else, so the relative gap between the X and S should stay more or less the same.

Might help close some of the perf gap with PS5, if Sony doesn't have the ability to do something similar though.

Great presentation, really loved input from devs. Glad to see that it gets so much love now, not only VRS is getting faster but also more accurate wich produce better performance and better picture. Looks like they only just scratching surface with VRS now.
Thats when the Series X might start showing bigger performance gaps compared to the PS5.
And not because of the extra power. But of an extra fully hardware supported feature.

Thats when the Series X might start showing bigger performance gaps compared to the PS5.
If Sony stand still and stop developing their APIs, yes. This is why competition is good. It incentivises companies to compete. To try.

And not because of the extra power. But of an extra fully hardware supported feature.

Lets try to avoid this kind of comparisons it will only attracts unnecessary console war. As DSup said Sony for sure have a lot of improvements in theirs rendering stack that they are not using yet.
I like that we got some updates with figures and first hands experience feedback form devs, finally feels like something is happening and adoption in future titles should be bigger and most important better.
Was interesting to see already big gains in UE5 with nanite, and how VRS evolves with new techniques improving hdr/sdr better and faster detection of shading areas how it will benefit those juicy post processing effects etc etc. Hopefully adoption rate will pick up and we will see better results soon, also in PC titles.

One of the slides seems to suggest that "sparse lighting" is an entirely software based technique so I can't see how other platforms can't make use of this ...

Interesting to see how many different approaches to calculating shading rate there are, even just using luminance.

Plus the possibility of using velocity, depth as part of the calculation. Lots of approaches and also opportunities to calculate shading rate texture concurrently with other operations to reduce overhead of e.g. depth or velocity access.

A very interesting watch, especially the first third or so where it's the MS dude talking about their investigations into ways to improve perceptual quality and while minimising processing cost.

Update

Game Stack - Variable Rate Compute Shaders on Xbox Series X|S | Microsoft Developer

Variable Rate Compute Shaders - Halving Deferred Lighting Time - YouTube

"The talk is on Variable Rate Compute Shaders (VRCS) with a focus on Xbox Series consoles. A basic understanding of Variable Rate Shading is assumed. We provide details of an early variable rate compute shader implementation that shipped with Gears5. We then present a new algorithm than can halve deferred lighting time by exploiting the duplication of g-buffer values, and with only a very small overhead, particularly on Xbox Series consoles. We compute whether to light 1,2,3 or 4 pixels per 2x2 pixel block for the required quality level per screen tile, and perfectly respecting triangle coverage. This same technique is applicable to any deferred or post process pass, including: SSAO, SSGI, SSR, fog, clouds, atmospheric scattering & etc.. Perhaps most significantly, VRCS can be used to reduce the number of rays required to ray trace various graphical effects with minimal or zero perceptible quality loss."

@1:02:00 Overshaded triangle edges.
Was that the problem with Quantum Break? I only tried that on Gamepass. Don't know if they ever fixed it.

@1:02:00 Overshaded triangle edges.
Was that the problem with Quantum Break? I only tried that on Gamepass. Don't know if they ever fixed it.

Weren't most of the issues with Quantum Break that they rendered at 1280x720 with 4x MSAA and then used 4 frames to reconstruct the image to make it look higher ?

It looks amazing at native 4k with ultra settings to be honest even though it was an earlish base xbox one title it looks really good on modern hardware

Update

Game Stack - Variable Rate Compute Shaders on Xbox Series X|S | Microsoft Developer

Variable Rate Compute Shaders - Halving Deferred Lighting Time - YouTube

"The talk is on Variable Rate Compute Shaders (VRCS) with a focus on Xbox Series consoles. A basic understanding of Variable Rate Shading is assumed. We provide details of an early variable rate compute shader implementation that shipped with Gears5. We then present a new algorithm than can halve deferred lighting time by exploiting the duplication of g-buffer values, and with only a very small overhead, particularly on Xbox Series consoles. We compute whether to light 1,2,3 or 4 pixels per 2x2 pixel block for the required quality level per screen tile, and perfectly respecting triangle coverage. This same technique is applicable to any deferred or post process pass, including: SSAO, SSGI, SSR, fog, clouds, atmospheric scattering & etc.. Perhaps most significantly, VRCS can be used to reduce the number of rays required to ray trace various graphical effects with minimal or zero perceptible quality loss."

That is huge. It looks like games built from the ground up with RT and VRS in mind will see significant speed ups compared to now.

Weren't most of the issues with Quantum Break that they rendered at 1280x720 with 4x MSAA and then used 4 frames to reconstruct the image to make it look higher ?

It looks amazing at native 4k with ultra settings to be honest even though it was an earlish base xbox one title it looks really good on modern hardware

I was referring to this:

aUuJg09.png

Visible triangle edges, similar to the issue Martin talked about in the VRCS video.

I was referring to this:

Visible triangle edges, similar to the issue Martin talked about in the VRCS video.

I've never noticed that before. Is it in every version ? Does the pc exhibit it even with their reconstruction turned off ?

It was introduced in the initial patch for the Xbox One X. I don't know about the PC version. And since I don't own the game, I have no idea if it was ever fixed.

It was introduced in the initial patch for the Xbox One X. I don't know about the PC version. And since I don't own the game, I have no idea if it was ever fixed.

It's installing on my pc right now. I will try and look for it. Is there an original source for where the issue pops up ? I'd like to try and match up with the picture you posted

Back