Microsoft Flight Simulator (MS FS 2020) [XBSX|S, PC]

I will be interested how this performs on the series S, on my GPU "1650" 3TF its only about 12fps @ 1080p with stutters on top of that ( I assume when it loads in new areas )

I will be interested how this performs on the series S, on my GPU "1650" 3TF its only about 12fps @ 1080p with stutters on top of that ( I assume when it loads in new areas )
What kind of settings is that at?
I remember DF finding was that it's very inconsistent.
I'm hoping it's using SFS to maximise the memory so get good texture quality at least.
VRS tier 2 - although not as useful at lower resolutions, there's probably a lot of places can be used (cloads, atmospheric effects etc)

Anyone know of a vid that's based on low end hardware, not the usual high end?

I'm eager to see the console implementations.

It would be great to finally see a first game that utilize sfs however I haven’t see any mention of it in interviews so I doubt it.

It would be great to finally see a first game that utilize sfs however I haven’t see any mention of it in interviews so I doubt it.
Apart from install size I don't remember seeing anything about the console version apart from that there will be one.

I'm hoping the port will be used as a good opportunity to get SFS implemented,
one because I worry how the console will look especially XSS without it,
and two for the future of PC, being able to lower memory requirements and improve streaming.

Fingers crossed.

Apart from install size I don't remember seeing anything about the console version apart from that there will be one.

I'm hoping the port will be used as a good opportunity to get SFS implemented,
one because I worry how the console will look especially XSS without it,
and two for the future of PC, being able to lower memory requirements and improve streaming.

Fingers crossed.

Wouldn't SFS use be limited, as most of the textures are being streamed from the intercloudz rather than the SSD.

Wouldn't SFS use be limited, as most of the textures are being streamed from the intercloudz rather than the SSD.

Yeah, I don't think SFS would be beneficial to this game. Or even Velocity Arch.

I guess you could if it's used purely with pre-cached assets, but how do you have the game handle both SFS/VA with precached assets while still having it use streamed data? Stream data into a VA region of the SSD? But that would put a lot of write cycles on those NAND cells potentially greatly reducing the lifespan of the SSD.

I just don't think this is a good candidate for SFS due to how data is used in the game.

Regards,
SB

I don't know much about how it works.
But are you suggesting it streams textures straight from the cloud into memory in realtime?

If that's the case then I would hope they would update it to cache it to the SSD then SFS stream the tiles required lowering memory usage. Although to be fair I'm only assuming memory usage would be higher than what's in XSS, maybe memory is low on MS:FS.

I don't know much about how it works.
But are you suggesting it streams textures straight from the cloud into memory in realtime?

If that's the case then I would hope they would update it to cache it to the SSD then SFS stream the tiles required lowering memory usage. Although to be fair I'm only assuming memory usage would be higher than what's in XSS, maybe memory is low on MS:FS.

I don't know how the streaming behaves tbh, it might cache it to storage so as SB suggested it might see some use that way.

There are procedurally generated buildings where photogrammetry isn't available and detailed ground textures. Maybe they'd be SFS candidates too.

I don't know how the streaming behaves tbh, it might cache it to storage so as SB suggested it might see some use that way.

There are procedurally generated buildings where photogrammetry isn't available and detailed ground textures. Maybe they'd be SFS candidates too.
Memory requirements actually doesn't seem too heavy from the quick Google I've seen, but I haven't seen what the different instalation and streaming modes are.

I just remembered seeing flying over cities and thought it would be good use case for SFS. But I also have no idea how the engine works.

Memory requirements actually doesn't seem too heavy from the quick Google I've seen, but I haven't seen what the different instalation and streaming modes are.

I just remembered seeing flying over cities and thought it would be good use case for SFS. But I also have no idea how the engine works.

For what it's worth, they generate them in two different ways. They either use procedurally placed and generated buildings or streamed photogrammetry derived geometry/textures.

Can't remember the name of the company they used for procgen buildings but that was quite interesting. They do stuff like pick the roof shape/colour from the aerial photos where they have them and things like that.

Console relevant snippet:
Looks like it's going to have a VRR mode as well as 30fps mode.
If the lowest is 35-40(worst case) it could really work well. So I'm eager to see what it's like as this is the sort of VRR uses I've been wanting to see, not just ironing out 60fps.

Not sure how it will be benchmarked though, unless it has an internal fps that can be enabled.

What is the list of recommended peripherals that will work for the Xbox version?

• Microsoft Flight Simulator fully supports Xbox gamepad, keyboard and mouse, Thrustmaster T.Flight Hotas One, Thrustmaster T.Flight Rudder, and HORI HOTAS Flight Stick for Xbox One. New, Xbox-compatible peripherals will be announced soon, but we cannot share any further details at this time.
https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/4402318233874
Dunno if there's more

Back