Microsoft buying Logitech?

epicstruggle

Passenger on Serenity
Veteran
Interesting news/rumor floating around.
http://www.reuters.com/article/businessNews/idUSL1049519220080110
Shares in Swiss-based computer peripherals maker Logitech International SA rose over 12 percent on Thursday amid speculation Microsoft Corp would launch a takeover bid, traders said.

Spokesmen for Logitech, the world's largest maker of computer mice, and Microsoft were not immediately reachable for comment.
Interesting news if it pans out. I think MS would use a logitech acquisition to start competing more aggressively with apple's hardware offerings.

competing more aggressively with apple's hardware offerings.

Like what? They already tried Zune and it was a useless turd.

IMO it's all about periferals like input devices or speakers and such and it's not like Apple is big there.

Like what? They already tried Zune and it was a useless turd.

IMO it's all about periferals like input devices or speakers and such and it's not like Apple is big there.
One thing MS seems to lack is innovation (maybe unfairly so), something that they could buy from logitech even though it still falls short of what apple achieves.

Didn't Microsoft join their forces with Razer rather recently? And now Logitech? They both make gaming mouses so maybe the connection is in there.

One thing MS seems to lack is innovation (maybe unfairly so), something that they could buy from logitech even though it still falls short of what apple achieves.

Looking at the expensive Logitech stuff I own(ed), in terms of quality or reliability their products are not even remotely comparable to the quality of the MS stuff. I replaced my bluetooth keys+mouse combo three times and it never really worked properly. Their Mice last about a year till they crap out (but only if it's a good year). On the other side, all MS stuff I owned rocked and was rock-solid. And this from a MS hater (hate them for their SW and politics only though).

As for inovation, MS surely had more of that than logitech. Remember the wheel without notches and with side-scrolling? MS came first with that and Logitech copied it. Media Center stuff is also way more convenient and working better. And don't even get me started on Logitech drivers/software...

I was just reading this over kotaku...

My main concern is the peripherals for consoles, more specifically PS3 and the G25 (or its successor).

Should MS acquire Logitech, do they have the means to block current/future support for PS3(ex) accessories or will the shareholders have a say on this? (ok that probably didnt make sense but maybe someone got the idea)

Looking at the expensive Logitech stuff I own(ed), in terms of quality or reliability their products are not even remotely comparable to the quality of the MS stuff.

Other way around for me. I've long since used MS mice since they first introduced the wheels, however over virtually all the generations the wheels would fail, basically making them very difficult to move. Some time back I bought the Logitech MX Revolution and, thus far, that has been by far the best mouse I've owned, and there's not even the slightest hint of the wheel getting stiffer yet (though its clear that the construction of the wheel on this mouse is very different from the MS ones).

I've had two Logitechs fail on me, but they were cheapo models. The one we've got now has been going for three years... Not bad for a cheapo mouse, I'd say.

Well I never had problems with the wheel, but the buttons died often. And in case of bluetooth, it works within like 2-3 m and anything more than that makes the signal go below 10% (and they're advertizing up to 20 m!). RMA'd it twice, got all new revisions and they were just as crappy. Then, the keyboard died just after the warranty was out. Long story short, the garbage bin got fat that day.

But back on topic, I still see nothing MS would need from Logitech besides simply eliminating a competitor.

My main concern is the peripherals for consoles, more specifically PS3 and the G25 (or its successor).

Should MS acquire Logitech, do they have the means to block current/future support for PS3(ex) accessories or will the shareholders have a say on this? (ok that probably didnt make sense but maybe someone got the idea)

My thoughts exactly. Let's hope this doesn't happen.

On the other end of the extreme, we could also just hope that Logitech wheels will start working on the 360 as well, and not stop working on the PS3. That would be an ideal situation. But somehow ...

Well if MS acquires Logitech, they become the shareholders...

MS is all about the money anyway, if they can make money off the PS3 by making accessories they'll probably continue to do so. Sony could block would probably be more of an issue.

<edit> as for whose stuff works best, I have 2 logitech cordless mice, one is going on its 6th year working fine, the other is moving into its 4th.

But back on topic, I still see nothing MS would need from Logitech besides simply eliminating a competitor.
I guess sometimes that's enough. ;)

Well, there is the hugely successful speaker line from Logitech. They have great perf for the price, and MS doesn't have anything in that market.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=33933

After shares in peripheral manufacturer Logitech rose in January on speculation of a possible USD 8 billion takeover by Microsoft, chairman Guerrino De Luca has once again moved to quash ongoing rumours.

Talking to Corriere della Sera he poured scorn on the idea: "[Shares] only rose for a day. Anyhow it would be an operation without sense," he said, according to a Reuters translation.

"I reiterate, without competition Logitech would lose the great pressure to innovate. Moreover there would be problems from antitrust authorities seeing as the two companies together would have a virtual global monopoly in mice and keyboards."

[snip]

De Luca denied that Microsoft had purchased a stake in the company, although he did admit that the Melinda and Bill Gates Foundation had bought a small percentage of the company.

*breathes a sign of relief*

Back