microsoft are getting bloody cheeky!

Monty

Regular
below is the worst and most disgraceful feature microsoft has ever forced on people :devilish:

every time someone on msn messenger sends me a file (mp3, avi, exe) through messenger it downloads it (this takes a bloody long time as well) but as soon as i try to open it a security feature opens up and says this file is blocked as it might be harmful to your system (this is bollocks by the way cos i know whats being sent).

once this has happened the file is gone, its either been moved elsewhere and hidden or just deleted all together, but the thing which absolutely PISSES ME OFF is it doesnt even give you the option to say F**K OFF i dont care let me use the file anyway.

i get the feeling this is just a cheeky way of stopping people share mp3s, avi, and such as thats all whats been affected.

:mad: now i have to teach all my contacts (very uneducated pc wise) how to remove the .mp3 from the filename, this is going to be a hassle i shouldnt have to do.

I too have never liked how Microsoft's software makes decisions for me, and doesn't let me choose how I want to do things.

By the way, what do "cheeky" and "bollocks" mean exactly?

NRP said:
I too have never liked how Microsoft's software makes decisions for me, and doesn't let me choose how I want to do things.

By the way, what do "cheeky" and "bollocks" mean exactly?

bollocks, in the way i said it = not true, with a slight insult to microsoft
cheeky = going beyond the reasonable limits of what their security features should do

funny thing is i just watched jack dee dvd yesterday making jokes about computers and how they do this, was hilarious

Monty:

It's possible that they're not checking the extension but are instead are scanning the file header, in which case changing (or even removing) the extension won't be of any use.

I noticed this a bit ago, oh well, I have truely never cared for MSN Messenger, just simply way to much stuff for a program that all I want is IM with. Maybe its the intereface, it pushes everything into my face and I really dont like that.

AIM is actually my IM program of choice. Its the only AOL software that I can even stand to look at. I also like Google Talk, but its almost to simple. Yahoo... I hate everything Yahoo.

alternatives are really not a option with the contacts i have on msn messenger,

i'll have to check whether changing the extension will work, if not will have to rar the file.

apparently Yahoo and MSN are merging so perhaps you can make them use Yahoo msg that (I think) allows those files to be exchanged

this is exactlly why open standards are needed..... with all that is going on, i am really wondering what kind of privacy intrusion will be built in into Vista.

Monty said:
alternatives are really not a option with the contacts i have on msn messenger,

i'll have to check whether changing the extension will work, if not will have to rar the file.

Trillian uses whatever network you like... for example, I chat to friends on MSN and ICQ through trillian - they don't even know I'm not using MSN/ICQ.

Sobek said:
Install the msn 7.x A-Patch?

http://apatch.alphalink.com.au/

geez, there's even an option in MSN Messenger to turn off file transfer protection...

is there?

i cant see it, and i would have thought it would give you the option to decline the block if there were such an option.

i'll try out this trillian, and a-patch to see if it makes my life any easier.

Back