Microsoft aquires Beam game streaming

If they want wide-spread adoption, making it exclusive would not be the right call imo. They need to have the Beam app on as many platforms as possible.

I think making it integrated with the XB1/Scorpio OS/games and making it easier for Xbox/Win10 streamers would be enough.

Available to watch for all, high power feature that needs the power of the next gen to work. Just musing.

For high adoptability, I think they need to have it possible to use with mid-range PCs and current consoles (XB1/PS4). If they go to high-end, they run the risk of a small niche market.

I won't argue that MS can't compete, but it's nigh impossible to migrate an entrenched audience. I wouldn't bother trying to create an alternative auction site to eBay, for example. All these things thrive on popularity, and a startup with zero followers (or single digit percentage sized market share) won't have the size necessary to attract the content to be something people want to adopt. Whether Facebook, YouTube, Twitch, Android, Windows, etc., there's literally no point trying to take these on unless one's willing to plough crazy money into forcing growth (eg. big payouts for users!).

There was one I was directed to recently, a crowdfunding startup just for indie games. Nice idea, but it's pointless if no-one follows it, and if no games use it (because there are no followers/users) then no one will use it so no games will bother releasing on it... Hence you have to use Kickstart or Indiegogo - an established player with the reach to actually work.
that makes me think about Whatsapp in my country. Telegram is richer feature wise and Whatsapp adopted some of the best features of Telegram, but people here are so used to WhatsApp that they won't change it for Telegram. The feature that Telegram lacks compared to WhatsApp is calls, but people use WhatsApp precisely to not have to talk to people! :D

Quantum Break developers said time ago that streaming is a good part of the future so maybe the idea is not to compete with Twitch or youtube, nigh impossible if you ask me.

So now that HDR is the buzz word I wonder if they support HDR in their streams if that wouldn't be a feature point that fans would like
And how do you apply HDR to a stream correctly? The pixels are compressed, the final result might not be as good as hoped..

So with youtube heroes and their other clashes with content creators I think MS has a chance of gaining some ground here. A lot of content creators who already make pennies from their work are looking at better avenues

Back