Microsoft acquired Activision Blizzard King for $69 Billion on 2023-10-13

Anyone seeing the irony in MS's percentage claim?

The UK CMA also put Nintendo into a 'special' category which I can't fathom. Whilst Nintendo hardware is in a very different place in terms of technology, games like Skyrim, Fortnite, Diablo, Minecraft, and many others sell well and presumably games like Call of Duty will also sell well otherwise why would Microsoft be committing to bring those titles to Nintendo platforms?

Microsoft are saying that they cannot compete with Sony so need to buy Activision-Blizzard and that Call of Duty isn't important, but it's been demonstrated as important enough as necessitating Microsoft signing contacts with Nintendo and Nvidia. It is my understanding that Microsoft were unconvincing on explaining how acquiring Activision-Blizzard would improve the appeal/competitiveness of Xbox if they genuinely intend to keep of the acquired IP on other platforms.

They show Sony vs Msft percentage because nintendo is not opposing the deal.

And yet Nintendo's platform has IP that is being acquired so it is relevant to the acquisition. Microsoft didn't include Nintendo because the complete market positions casts the market in a different light, e.g. where Sony are number two.

The hearing was only to gather more on people who had more to say or feel strongly one way or another. Nintendo's position has been remained private. They may not care, but equally, Diablo and Skyrim has sold a ton on Switch so they do have something to lose.

They show Sony vs Msft percentage because nintendo is not opposing the deal.
But thats still playing with statistics. Either that percentage is or another. The communicated message is different.
Edit: In addition the picture is different when you view PS5 and Series S/X adoption. The Series has caught up better this generation, which may show MS being able to catch up better this gen.
Sony isnt the undisputed unshaked monopoly power that MS is trying to communicate. PS3 almost died and MS cought up, with One screwing up by having a lesser product. The numbers MS cooked up are including PS4 and One numbers (ignoring Switch altogether) where the reasons of Sony dominating is apparently the fact that MS screwed up the generation before.
So apparently thats bias statistics to communicate a specific narrative. But thats typical of companies. Both Sony and MS are playing the same dirty game trying to hit each other

Last edited:
Whatever happens at the end, it's been a funny ride

If Sony's objective is to prevent Microsoft acquiring Call of Duty, then all signs indicate they have already won. The UK regulator has published their provisional findings report stating that they are minded to approve only if Call of Duty is off the table.

Lulu Cheng Meservey is EVP Corporate Affairs and CCO, Activision-Blizzard so she will know this. But hey.. whatever, right!

A lot of these games were released pre-acquisition. Only Minecraft is the true exception.
Also the future is uncertain for Sony regarding how MS is planning to use these IPs.
The next Skyrim most likely is becoming an XBOX exclusive, making the "Skyrim Anniversary Edition" argument completely invalid for example.
Ok, so we can count all the Minecraft games by your criteria. And we have to not count stuff that was released pre-acquisition. So anything before March 2021 when the Zenimax deal closed. So Doom Eternal's PS5 release was in June 2021. So that counts, right? Deathloop was September 2021. So that counts. ESO was June 2021. So that counts. Ghostwire was March 2022, so that counts. Skyrim Anniversary was November 2021, so that counts. Or maybe it doesn't count because the next Elder Scrolls might not be on Playstation. Maybe we should not count Doom Eternall because the next Doom game is only on mobile. I'm just trying to understand the special rules that apply only to games Microsoft owned studios publish or develop on rival consoles that somehow make that invalid for consideration as Microsoft owned studios publishing or developing games for rival platforms.

Also, Quake came out for PS5 in Oct 2021 and even got a physical release. There is no physical release for Xbox. But yeah, some of these releases were pre- acquisition? Oh wait, none of them were. Unless we discount every game that has ever came out for PS5 because Microsoft is going to release games not on PS5 in the future.
Arkane Studios released Deathloop on the PS5, Redfall wont be.
Bethesda, who owns Arkane Studios, released Deathloop on PS5 when they were a wholly owned subsidiary of Microsoft.

I thought they had to because the documents pushed Nintendo into its own category of console.
I don't believe the EU made that distinction, although the UK CMA did. Microsoft have asserted that they don't see Nintendo as competition, which is darkly true given Microsoft sell about one unit of hardware for every five units that Nintendo sell - that's a massacre, rather than 'competition'.

It was only in 2020, after 20 years in the console industry, Phil Spencer said he didn't see Sony as competition but now Microsoft are arguing that cannot compete with Sony! :???: Microsoft's constantly-changing narrative is their biggest hurdle in these regulator exchanges.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bethesda, who owns Arkane Studios, released Deathloop on PS5 when they were a wholly owned subsidiary of Microsoft.
In evidence, Microsoft have said that adhering to pre-existing contracts was part of the agreement when acquiring Zenimax. The regulators would have been mindful of that as well when approving that acquisition. But kudos to Microsoft, they didn't need to release a nextgen (PS5) version of Skyrim, nor Fallout 4 coming to both PS5 and Xbox Series this year - free to all.

Ok, so we can count all the Minecraft games by your criteria. And we have to not count stuff that was released pre-acquisition. So anything before March 2021 when the Zenimax deal closed. So Doom Eternal's PS5 release was in June 2021. So that counts, right? Deathloop was September 2021. So that counts. ESO was June 2021. So that counts. Ghostwire was March 2022, so that counts. Skyrim Anniversary was November 2021, so that counts.
Personally I have no horse in the race and don't care either way, but probably none of them count as the development has been ongoing for years and contracts would have been made well in advance of the acquisition. As mentioned, MS stated they would be adhering to all existing contracts.

I imagine the console/videogame business in China is very different and this is far less impactful there.

Especially now with heavy restrictions on how long minors are allowed to play games.
I think that only applies for games with online connectivity. They don't have any effective way to enforce restrictions with devices and software that operate offline ...

In evidence, Microsoft have said that adhering to pre-existing contracts was part of the agreement when acquiring Zenimax. The regulators would have been mindful of that as well when approving that acquisition. But kudos to Microsoft, they didn't need to release a nextgen (PS5) version of Skyrim, nor Fallout 4 coming to both PS5 and Xbox Series this year - free to all.

Personally I have no horse in the race and don't care either way, but probably none of them count as the development has been ongoing for years and contracts would have been made well in advance of the acquisition. As mentioned, MS stated they would be adhering to all existing contracts.

All of these are making excuses for the why, and discounting the fact that Microsoft published games on PS5. Which was the initial claim I originally quoted and posted a claim to the contrary. If someone builds a machine designed to kick me in the crotch, and we have a contract to have this machine kick me in the crotch, and then Microsoft buys the machine but honors the contract, my crotch still gets kicked. You can say it doesn't count, or it didn't happen because other people will be kicked in the future, or that it only happened because of previous agreements, but I assure you my boys still ache.

All of these are making excuses for the why, and discounting the fact that Microsoft published games on PS5. Which was the initial claim I originally quoted and posted a claim to the contrary. If someone builds a machine designed to kick me in the crotch, and we have a contract to have this machine kick me in the crotch, and then Microsoft buys the machine but honors the contract, my crotch still gets kicked. You can say it doesn't count, or it didn't happen because other people will be kicked in the future, or that it only happened because of previous agreements, but I assure you my boys still ache.
What is the point you are trying to make about Deathloop? A game that was contracted with Zenimax before MS acquired Zenimax for a PS timed exclusivity?
I dont see the point you are trying to make. There were legal bindings and also the regulators. The game was released in the same year of the acquisition's completion. If they canceled the deal and made it exclusive out of the blue, they would have had to deal potentially with legal matters as well as the regulators for their Zenimax purchase as well as their future purchases.
To the contrary regulators are questioning ABK's acquisition because MS, against what they were reassured, their next big games are XBOX exclusives.

All of these are making excuses for the why, and discounting the fact that Microsoft published games on PS5.
As Microsoft's evidence showed, Zenimax insisted that Microsoft honour existing contracts and Microsoft said were happy to do so. In business, you do not want a reputation for breaking contracts, it you become known as a party who does not value contracts it becomes more difficult and costly to do business.

"Sony says documents from Jim Ryan "will provide #Microsoft with [Sony]'s financial health and plans."
At this point everyone's just super nosy. ;) Nothing to do with the merger!
I think this is a court-appointed opportunity for Sony to do some trolling by presenting a hard copy of their published financial report. Just because Microsoft doesn't publish Xbox financial, it doesn't mean this information is confidential. As for plans, that is going to be super useful.

PlayStation Immediate Plans said:
In [REDACTED] SIE will begin production of [REDACTED] for release in the [REDACTED] window. in [REDACTED], SIE will begin R&D on [REDACTED] for [REDACTED] by [REDACTED], [REDACTED] and [REDACTED].

Back