Microsoft acquired Activision Blizzard King for $69 Billion on 2023-10-13

It's like Russian nesting dolls. Just have Activision buy all the companies MS wants and then get them all through the purchase of Activision. Trojan horse !

It feels kind of nuts that Microsoft are in the process of buying a company that is itself the process of buying other companies. I assume they knew at the time that this was a thing that might happen.

It feels kind of nuts that Microsoft are in the process of buying a company that is itself the process of buying other companies. I assume they knew at the time that this was a thing that might happen.
Yea and I am sure at the end of the day it doesn't matter to MS. It's just moer value for their money

Yea no one is going to really stop this. MS itself isn't big enough in the gaming market and with companies like sony buying other moderate sized companies , epic buying companies and so on and so forth there isn't much that can be done.

Yea no one is going to really stop this. MS itself isn't big enough in the gaming market and with companies like sony buying other moderate sized companies , epic buying companies and so on and so forth there isn't much that can be done.
I'm sure the acquisition will go ahead, but I'd be surprised if it gets blanket approval without conditions vis-a-vis Call of Duty.

I'm sure the acquisition will go ahead, but I'd be surprised if it gets blanket approval without conditions vis-a-vis Call of Duty.

I always have the feeling that Call of Duty is just a side effect of the deal, with the Xbox team saying to Blizzard, "Look, if you're not going to come without them I guess they can come too."

This may be my own prejudice at play. 🙂

I don't think it matters. Sony just bought Bungie , they now have a big shooter series . Call of duty is smaller than Fortnite which Epic owns and then there is battlefield which is what EA ?

I could understand if Call of Duty was the only big shooter franchise but that is hardly the case.

I don't think it matters. Sony just bought Bungie , they now have a big shooter series . Call of duty is smaller than Fortnite which Epic owns and then there is battlefield which is what EA ?

Fortnite is free and accessible on all hardware platforms. Battlefield is available on all hardware platforms that are technically capable of running it. Sorry Switch :(

I could understand if Call of Duty was the only big shooter franchise but that is hardly the case.

It's easily the biggest-selling shooter that has the potential to become console platform exclusive. That's really the only argument.

Fortnite is free and accessible on all hardware platforms. Battlefield is available on all hardware platforms that are technically capable of running it. Sorry Switch :(

It's easily the biggest-selling shooter that has the potential to become console platform exclusive. That's really the only argument.
That is my point. There are plenty of alternatives to call of duty. If call of duty was to go steam/microsoft store / xbox exclusive there are two platforms that cna play it the xbox consoles and the pc and there are alternatives already on the platforms that would no longer have it.

Destiny? Microsoft retained Halo IP when Bungie splitted, pretty sure that's still the case.
Not sure what you are saying here. Yes Microsoft owns the Halo IP. Bungie owns the destiny IP (it was created after the split) Destiny is a popular shooter. Sony just bought Bungie and now owns Destiny

Not sure what you are saying here. Yes Microsoft owns the Halo IP. Bungie owns the destiny IP (it was created after the split) Destiny is a popular shooter. Sony just bought Bungie and now owns Destiny
That's what I wanted clarified, I've never viewed Destiny as "big shooter series" myself. Not saying it couldn't become one (in my view, too), though.

That's what I wanted clarified, I've never viewed Destiny as "big shooter series" myself. Not saying it couldn't become one (in my view, too), though.
It's still pretty popular. Sony own a fair share of "big" FPS series in the console space. Resistance, Killzone, and Destiny. If you broaden that to include 3rd person shooters, you get Socom as well. The fact that Sony hasn't done anything with those IPs isn't the fault of anyone but themselves. So I can't get behind this idea that COD is somehow a product unlike any other. I mean, it's lineage can be drawn straight back to Medal of Honor. Perhaps COD's popularity could be considered unique, but I think the popularity of Apex and especially Fortnite clearly show that there is room in the shooter space for more titles than just COD.

It's still pretty popular. Sony own a fair share of "big" FPS series in the console space. Resistance, Killzone, and Destiny. If you broaden that to include 3rd person shooters, you get Socom as well. The fact that Sony hasn't done anything with those IPs isn't the fault of anyone but themselves. So I can't get behind this idea that COD is somehow a product unlike any other. I mean, it's lineage can be drawn straight back to Medal of Honor. Perhaps COD's popularity could be considered unique, but I think the popularity of Apex and especially Fortnite clearly show that there is room in the shooter space for more titles than just COD.
Destiny 2 came out Sept of 2017 and today at the game awards gamecon stream they confirmed expansions into 2024. So I think it has to be a pretty decently popular franchise.

My point is there are plenty of alternatives to Call of Duty. So I don't think the oh Call of Duty may become exclusive is really a compelling issue to stop this from going through. Even if MS makes it console exclusive there is still the option of it on pc as well as a myriad of other first person online shooters.

My guess is that with marketing terms that Sony has with the next couple of iterations nothing will change until next generation anyway in that front. I think a lot of the games that don't have a long standing relationship with PlayStation or nintendo will take longer to flip over to being exclusive. So a new IP will likely be console exlusive from the get go.

Back