Metro Exodus [PS4, PS5, XO, XBSX|S, PC]

Metro Exodus | E3 2017 Reveal Gameplay VS FINAL VERSION | Comparison

1jt17PI.jpg

Comparing an Ultra settings PC edition (even though it's from an Xbox 2017 E3 stage reveal) as you can see from the snapshot, to the Xbox One X edition is somewhat ridiculous. The PC edition has greater draw distance, RT lighting and shadowing, and ultra foliage enabled. No downgrade on either systems, just working within the bounds of each hardware limits. Both look stunning...

1jt17PI.jpg

Comparing an Ultra settings PC edition (even though it's from an Xbox 2017 E3 stage reveal) as you can see from the snapshot, to the Xbox One X edition is somewhat ridiculous. The PC edition has greater draw distance, RT lighting and shadowing, and ultra foliage enabled. No downgrade on either systems, just working within the bounds of each hardware limits. Both look stunning...
It seems to be a bit of a trend where the original reveal of a game has warmer colors and a more CG look and the final has colder colors and a more gamey appearance. I prefer the original personally.
This is a combination of the differences we got from God of War and Gears of War.
There are some downgrades I believe

if the orignal setup dropped frames freqently, and the released version is stable, is it a downgrade ?
well, I believe they shouldnt demonstrate visuals they dont believe can be attainable with good performance on current hardware.
Otherwise they set the wrong expectations.

well, I believe they shouldnt demonstrate visuals they dont believe can be attainable with good performance on current hardware.
Otherwise they set the wrong expectations.
I don’t think this is intentional, or st least that studios are being intentionally misleading for the purpose of promotion.

I think they knew what the technology they need to get what they want, but development and a vertical slice are completely different from each other. Constraining the set,the camera angles etc, it’s very easy to make something look good.

But in a real game where you can have tons of events happen, things need to change and all that direct polish starts to fall off, because you’re exchanging the flex that happens in the game for lesser visuals.

And without getting extraneously political, I’ve been avoiding the other thread for a reason, this is why real time tracing hybridization matters, because it can flex well and keep the graphics from breaking down where they normally would with traditional lighting.

http://www.4a-games.com.mt/4a-dna/2020/11/17/metro-10th-anniversary-studio-update

edit.png

FIRST, LET’S TALK ABOUT METRO EXODUS!
We’re currently hard at work on bringing Metro Exodus to Xbox Series X | S and PlayStation 5 next year. While we can’t share all the details just yet, you should expect major enhancements including faster frame rate, increased resolution, reduced loading times, and stunning Ray Tracing features made possible by the new hardware. The new consoles are amazing, and will allow us to deliver visual enhancements and performance only possible on state of the art PC hardware and RTX enabled cards – until now.

We’re happy to confirm that these enhanced versions will also be made available as a free upgrade to all existing owners. That means if you already own Metro Exodus on Xbox One or PlayStation 4, whether digitally or on disc, you will be able to upgrade to this enhanced version on the next generation on consoles for free.

And if you’ve yet to pick up the game on Gen 8, you can do so safe in the knowledge you will get the enhanced version for free should you upgrade your console in the future.

Aside from these enhanced versions for Gen 9, we recently brought Metro Exodus to more players through Amazon’s ‘Luna’ streaming service; and we’re also working on dedicated Linux and Mac versions of the game. We’ll share more information about these closer to release.

That's great. When I saw the DF COD video and the difference good shadows can make my mind immediately leapt to the Metro games and I didn't get far into Exodus at all so I'd welcome a return because what I palsied of it, I really liked.

That's great. When I saw the DF COD video and the difference good shadows can make my mind immediately leapt to the Metro games and I didn't get far into Exodus at all so I'd welcome a return because what I palsied of it, I really liked.

Just be aware that while they have fairly decent outdoor RT lighting, they have really REALLY horrible indoor lighting.

Hopefully they fix this for the console update as this one thing alone makes the RT in the game look really REALLY horrible as it makes the lighting so inconsistent.

The non-RT lighting (which they use indoors when RT is enabled or everywhere when RT is off) is so bad (compared to other games that have good non-RT lighting), that I almost wonder if they deliberately made it so bad so that NV could point to the RT and say, "Look how good RT is compared to non-RT lighting."

Regards,
SB

I really like the RT lighting in some instances (yay for getting rid of AO), but some things need more work. The candles for instance are MUCH brighter than my candles, and light up things much farther away with far more brightness than my candles. And I have those huge candles that are as wide as your wrist. That's less the RT doing something wonky than the artists having the candles emit light that's too bright, however ... probably.

Basically, this game is a really nice step towards more realistic lighting, but there's still a lot of things that are just off enough that it still comes across as unconvincing. Probably just a case of artists needing more time to come to grips with best practices for using RT lighting after so many years of using conventional lighting techniques.

That said, it's still really impressive. Now the lighting in Metro: Exodus actually looks pretty good, versus how relatively bad it was at launch.

Oh and one other thing, there's some weird artifacts that I saw in the DF first look at it. Weird shimmering crawling artifacts from lighting that was just plain distracting once I saw it and couldn't un-see it. Artifacts that didn't exist with RT off or when RT is on when the light is within a certain distance of the surface. The fact that the artifacts were constantly in motion even with a stationary camera drove me nuts when watching the DF video.

Regards,
SB

I’ve been playing and watching my son play this game so I could have a better look and I am also very impressed with how good this looks. It certainly feels like this is the future, and it will be interesting to see how fast the uptake will be.

Anybody know what I'm supposed to do here?

20210619_184902.jpg

I figure I'm supposed to ride that cable somehow, but can't work out how.

Finished. I would say graphics of enhanced edition are disappointing, would call them average (far from 2019 Modern Warfare etc.) Textures are low quali usually, animation is not bad but also not great, many characters models could looks better. Also 40fps mode with higher res on 120hz would help probably a little on ps5. But besides of graphics and problem with pacing I enjoyed game, only metro I played and have to say 4a games know how to make good atmoshpere, interesting world and quite good narrative (tough only in russian dubbing and one more thing, are we still in 90s that main character doesn't speak to people ? it really break narration). Don't like that you have to play steal way (which imo is rubbish) to have good ending but yeah, not bad game. 7.5/10, little rough but deep enough to be interesting.

Last edited:
It's a decent game and worth that, graphics are nothing special (RTGI can't fix the dated textures and geometry counts) but over all is worth a punt for someone who've never experienced a Metro game.

Back