Methods of receiving wireless internet signals

Nick Spolec

Newcomer
Hey all,

I'm going to be able to receive a high speed wifi signal. I know you need a wireless adapter to get the signal, but could use a little help.

I was looking at some wireless routers. I am wondering if these can only transmit signals? Or can they receive them too? (example, http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=33-178-001&depa=0)

I was also looking at a wireless USB adapter (like this zonet model http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=33-130-104&depa=0), but I didn't know you would get a net connection through USB.

Thanks for all the help.

A wireless router is typically hardwired to the Internet connection provided by your ISP. Then it allows 2-way wireless connects between itself and any nodes equipped w/ wireless adapters. So a laptop or desktop that you attach your linked USB wifi adapter to can both send and receive w/ the wifi router.

If you're looking for the router to connect to the Internet wirelessly itself, then you need a router capable of wireless bridging. A decent option is the Linksys WRT54G. There's a great 3rd party firmware you can apply to the WRT54G that enhances its feature sets and adds bridging to the menu. The 3rd party firmware is available here:
Sveasoft

Well, perhaps I should explain my situation a little more.

I live at the same hotel I work for, and my room looks out into the pool area (where they are putting a wireless antenna). I will be well within the hotspot to receive a wireless signal.

Now, to catch this signal, will a USB wireless adapter work? Will a wireless router work?

Just get an adapter. If you're hooking it up to a desktop, you may want to get a USB cable extender so the adapter isn't obscured from the signal by the PC itself.

Trying to get a router to bridge their hotspot adds unneeded complexity with little benefit.

If you're using a laptop get a wireless PC card. If you're using a desktop get a USB or wireless PCI card. If you go for the USB make sure it's true USB 2.0 speed capable assuming your desktop supports USB 2.0

Back