Metal Gear Solid 4 to hit 360?

So not debunked.

but a bit pointless, nonetheless. I personally consider the EGM rumor mill to be there for no other reason than to push sales with false hope or intrigue.
and the fact that the PS3 launches this month is enough to convince me that its merely meant to discourage people, coupled with a Halo 3 blowout, into not buying a PS3.
clever jerks -_-

Last edited by a moderator:
Why do EGM care whether people buy a PS3 or not?

I don't think journalistic integrity is a strong point in the media these days, let alone products targetting specific demographics. They are businesses, having good contacts with certain publishers and developers is important. Likewise advertising is SUPER important, as you need to appeal to the largest user base as possible and then solicit adds that will generate revenue through this audiance. So there is the "burn bridges" angle with being candid with opinions and then there is the fiscal side. Toss in the fact a lot of gaming journalists are overgrown fans with English majors, well... meh. I just started getting EGM free, but the half dozen or so 1UP shows I have watched (I know, not many) it became clear from day 1 that Shane (is that his name?) is a total boob fanboi. It is kind of like media journalists who have strong political/social views, it can often influence their writing. In the past we would relegate such media as opinion peices, but I think it is safe to say that gaming media really push that concept at all. Since games are all subjective anyhow, most news goes through a bias filter to begin with. The best you could hope for is honest peeps with hands on editors who were more agnostic in their approach and round table stuff quickly on a regular basis, and maybe push dual-opinion articles on a regular basis.

But it really depends. Heck, I just got a complainer on Xboxyde saying all I ever do is criticize Xbox 360 games, so it is all perspective.

konami didn't try to force him to do this before. Not sure where you got that idea from. they had no reason to. PS2 had way more units then Xbox in consumer homes. The install base was the driving force behind most publisher decisions on exclusivity.

I didn't , I meant other occasion

I don't think journalistic integrity is a strong point in the media these days...
Are EGM known to have an Anti-Sony agenda then? I can understand the point of biased content. It's like newspapers. One takes a conservative POV to sell to the conservatives, and another takes a liberal POV to sell to the liberals, with neither taking a neutral position to just tell the facts. I can see that a magazine might want to target the Anti-Sony crowd just as one might want to target the Sony-Fanatics, presenting everything with a lopsided viewpoint to appeal to the readers sensibilities. That's going to be obvious with 'Official' magazines, but I am surprised a 3rd party magazine would go that route unless they were marginalized by the competition.

shifty, it could also be a PR stunt on MS' part to avert PS3 attention and set some people into a paranoid stupor...from what i've heard, OXM UK is now running rumors of DMC4 and MGS4 hitting the 360. Sony ran similar trains during the 360 launch, if I remember correctly-or so sites theorized...not regarding ports-from what i recall, it was criticizing the hardware...dangerous overheating and such (irony ;) )

or, of course, it could be legit...but so close to the PS3's launch, either devs are cruel, or MS has a part to play in it.

I just love rumors.

I bet the rumor was started by this:

pic

MY GOD! Kojima-san attending Microsoft conference! It must mean MGS4 is coming to Xbox360! :eek:
No this is probably part of the reason why.
e3-2006-dear-mr-kojima-jump-in-ad-20060511021024189-000.jpg

I don't think MGS4 is coming to the 360 but something from Kojima studio is. Remember this is just year 1 for the Xbox 360 and games are in development that have yet to be announced. Only people in the know have an idea of all that is coming in year 2, year 3 and maybe even year 4.

Are EGM known to have an Anti-Sony agenda then?

No, they are not known to have such. But they are known to start false rumors and they do have some uber-untalented-hacks like Shane on the payrole who cannot seem to separate their own preferences from objectively reviewing software... which is important. e.g. I don't want a Halo nerd doing a Halo review. Halo fans are going to buy it anyhow, what really matters is how those on the fence would feel and getting an objective assessment. Well, at least in theory...

Personally I think EGM likes stirring the pot, which in turn is good for gossip, rumors, and discussion. Their ultimate goal is to sell copies and to drive interest.

No this is probably part of the reason why.
e3-2006-dear-mr-kojima-jump-in-ad-20060511021024189-000.jpg

I don't think MGS4 is coming to the 360 but something from Kojima studio is. Remember this is just year 1 for the Xbox 360 and games are in development that have yet to be announced. Only people in the know have an idea of all that is coming in year 2, year 3 and maybe even year 4.

Why do I get the impression that I ve seen something similar a long time ago?

Why do I get the impression that I ve seen something similar a long time ago?

Because thats super old. I'm sure there's something coming from Kojima productions for Xbox360, but it ain't MGS4. Probably ain't even MGS game.

No, they are not known to have such. But they are known to start false rumors and they do have some uber-untalented-hacks like Shane on the payrole who cannot seem to separate their own preferences from objectively reviewing software... which is important. e.g. I don't want a Halo nerd doing a Halo review. Halo fans are going to buy it anyhow, what really matters is how those on the fence would feel and getting an objective assessment. Well, at least in theory...
To go off on your example ... I think calm, honest reviews of Halo 3 will not happen. There's too much pressure on the press. The Halo franchise has a lot of ... fans, to whom anything below 95% would be sacrilege.

That being said, I think it's safe to expect Luke Smith will be on the job, and most likely Dan Hsu for the second opinion. Those are the ones where hints have been dropping about briefings taking place, and articles being made. Luke Smith is IMO pretty much on the threshold to irrational love for Halo, while for Dan Hsu you can say he has fond memories, but he isn't afraid of being brutal if necessary.

My money is on 9.5 from Luke, 8.0 from Dan, magic 9.0 compound score and weeks of controversy and mayhem in the old mail-bag.
Acert93 said:
Personally I think EGM likes stirring the pot, which in turn is good for gossip, rumors, and discussion. Their ultimate goal is to sell copies and to drive interest.
That's the mag business. It will be the same for MGS4.

shifty, it could also be a PR stunt on MS' part to avert PS3 attention and set some people into a paranoid stupor...from what i've heard, OXM UK is now running rumors of DMC4 and MGS4 hitting the 360. Sony ran similar trains during the 360 launch, if I remember correctly-or so sites theorized...not regarding ports-from what i recall, it was criticizing the hardware...dangerous overheating and such (irony ;) )

or, of course, it could be legit...but so close to the PS3's launch, either devs are cruel, or MS has a part to play in it.

OXM.Uk is not running any rumors,that was a joke at GAF.
Egm,anti-Sony???????Wow,it's like the twilight zone or something.
So ziff Daivs has the publishing rights to the OPM but they have stronger connections with MS???

It seems to me that Sony fans are not used to any sort of criticism so it feels weird for them.Can you remember what was going on at the xbox360 launch.Do you remember that infamous interview that 1up/EGM had with Peter Moore??Have you ever seen an interview like that with any Sony executive??

And might i add that at the time of the 360 launch microsoft was very helpfull to the media.If MS was like how Sony is now, the media(magazines like EGM and internet sites) would have buried them.

OXM.Uk is not running any rumors,that was a joke at GAF.
So ziff Daivs has the publishing rights to the OPM but they have stronger connections with MS???

It seems to me that Sony fans are not used to any sort of criticism so it feels weird for them.Can you remember what was going on at the xbox360 launch.Do you remember that infamous interview that 1up/EGM had with Peter Moore??Have you ever seen an interview like that with any Sony executive??

And might i add that at the time of the 360 launch microsoft was very helpfull to the media.If MS was like how Sony is now, the media(magazines like EGM and internet sites) would have buried them.

Why would sony fans care? This always happens. It seems to be against the rules to say anything positive about the Sony these days in gaming media. Xbox360 and Wii fans will sprint to the place flame them to death. "DEATH TO SONY!" I can easily link them to the extremist islams "DEATH TO USA!" It kinda rings together. I respect them both as much. ;)

Because thats super old. I'm sure there's something coming from Kojima productions for Xbox360, but it ain't MGS4. Probably ain't even MGS game.

It’s from E3 2006. It maybe old but not so old that it isn't relevent.

EGM was right about Ninja Gaiden but chances are IGN had some idea last year. From what I hear the article really isn't about MGS4 coming but how even big exclusives from 3rd parties might need to go multiplatform.

You haven't actually looked what they did before throwing that, did you?
Ziff Davis is also 1up, and as anecdotal as it may be, if it weren't for 1up I would hardly have noticed the 360 launch. They put out a lot of coverage, and they were really positive about the whole thing.
I sucked it all up, because I don't read print mags anymore, also I mistrust/hate IGN, Gamespy et al, and this ("show" type coverage of video games) felt very new to me and was enticing*, so I stayed around.

So in my book Ziff Davis helped Microsoft a lot, as far as press work can go anyway, during the launch.
fulcizombie said:
It seems to me that Sony fans are not used to any sort of criticism so it feels weird for them.
Why was it necessary to talk about "Sony fans" now? Can't you just ... not do that? :???:
fulcizombie said:
Can you remember what was going on at the xbox360 launch.Do you remember that infamous interview that 1up/EGM had with Peter Moore??Have you ever seen an interview like that with any Sony executive??
Yeah, just look how abused he felt:
Peter Moore said:
Shoe,

Well we certainly stirred the pot with this one...! Just wanted to reassure you that I thought the interview was very fair and balanced, as well as somewhat entertaining...

I think it is good for the industry that we do more interviews of this tonality...don't stop at me... :)

Cheers,

Peter
http://egmshoe.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=6439712&publicUserId=5379799

*I figure it makes it almost possible to make up my own damn mind about how I like a game, way beyond anything you can achieve with screenshots and text

You haven't actually looked what they did before throwing that, did you?
Ziff Davis is also 1up, and as anecdotal as it may be, if it weren't for 1up I would hardly have noticed the 360 launch. They put out a lot of coverage, and they were really positive about the whole thing.
I sucked it all up, because I don't read print mags anymore, also I mistrust/hate IGN, Gamespy et al, and this ("show" type coverage of video games) felt very new to me and was enticing*, so I stayed around.

1up and EGM, the same sites that absolutely SLAMMED Kameo, with 6's across the board, essentially calling it crap? Nice try, but this theory is an absolute nonsense.

If there was any relationship there whatsoever they wouldn't have crapped all over one of MS's biggest 1st party games, and completely underrated it when compared to almost every other review site on the internet.

Back