Membership groups (was in Clarkdale IGP)

New members can't edit their posts to encourage thoughtful contributions. The hope is that the habit sticks. :)

Hmm not sure I understand the logic behind that...
Thought it was more to do with spam prevention etc.

what's the point of all that?
So I've got to do 20 posts, 10 of which are reputation posts (wtf are they?) before I become a standard member who can edit one's post etc?

Yeah, t'was a little 'spammish' wasn't it... Sorry...

I'm just finding the non-ability to edit/delete posts 'off-the-bat' rather bizarre for a forum.

The post number requirement shouldn't be abused by making numerous pointless posts bitching about it, either.

Thanks for the welcome, I'm just a little confused.
Do you think you could very briefly summarise the background to this?
Mostly the ideology behind why such a system is needed?
I would be most grateful.

Why ask Dave? ;) Pete's right, it's to force new users to think about what they've typed before they hit submit.

what's the point of all that?
So I've got to do 20 posts, 10 of which are reputation posts (wtf are they?) before I become a standard member who can edit one's post etc?

Reputation points (not posts btw :)) system has been removed afaik.

Well it's obvious that's part of it....
But looking at the link Pete provided there seem to be a whole lot more to it.

And if that's the sole motivation, well TBH it's a little toffee-nosed/elitist IMO :LOL:

Why ask Dave? ;) Pete's right, it's to force new users to think about what they've typed before they hit submit.

This thread is ... well, thanks for making my day, jalyst. :D

BTW, as you can see by your post count, threads in certain forums don't count toward your post total. ;) And no need to bother Dave for two reasons: this forum was made for questions like yours, and Dave's passed the mantle/buck/collar/root pwd to Rys. The first reason still applies, so be kind to Rys' inbox and ask/complain/gloat about site problems here first.

As for the reasoning behind Dave's system of reputation and escalating status, it's just a way to reward useful contributions with extra privileges and transfer some of the minutiae of running a forum to longtime members. And the rep system is gone (partly b/c of the toffee-nose catastrophe of, um, just before it was disabled).

Back