Megaton

Tommy

Newcomer
What's this all about?

I've been seeing references to some supposedly major announcement coming out by Nintendo later this year.

I can't find nothing on any credible site though.

Just another rumor that has got out of control or something?

The latest thing I've heard, and the one I believe most out of all the rumours I've seen, is that Nintendo will be merging/buying out/getting as exclusive (pic one) Capcom and Sega.

I also heard that Visual Concepts (the people behind Sega's 2k3 sports games) will go to Sony.

I say ignore the talk, and wait until something is said, as of now its so overtalked and overblown, that no matter how great Nintendos announcement is, it will be a let down, because nothing could live up to such hype.

speculation is out of control..many many BS rumors
Nintendo owning the playstation name, and sueing Sony for its profits
Nintendo buying Sega, Capcom, Namco..
Nintendo/Sega/Capcom all making a nextgen console together

those are the biggest three going around, none of them are all that MEGATON, so, I just am brushing them all off, and when something is said, I will care.

CaptainHowdy:

> that no matter how great Nintendos announcement is, it will be a let
> down

I'm not so sure the announcement will be made by Nintendo. Neither V-Jump nor Famitsu has linked Nintendo to it directly.

> those are the biggest three going around, none of them are all that
> MEGATON

Those examples you mention would definitely be worthy of the MEGATON monicker... that said all signs point towards a 3. party announcement. Famitsu has talked about some big titles that will be unveiled for Cube and GBA during this month and they seem to be referring to the same event as V-Jump which is the mag that used the MEGATON word to begin with.

well, your right in a way, but they all seem so far-fetched.
and I dont think those are enough to make a major impact.
Nintendo currently is getting good support from Capcom/Sega/Namco.
what I personally feel it needs more of, is support from Konami, Enix
and Tecmo.. or even better yet, Rockstar.

I think that any Megaton announcement has probably already occurred.

There's a good chance that the Megaton rumor-starters were referring to DQ8 on PS2. Maybe I'm wrong..

I've heard that Sonic Team might be becoming Nintendo-exclusive (after PSO for Xbox) but I doubt it..

well, your right in a way, but they all seem so far-fetched.
and I dont think those are enough to make a major impact.
Nintendo currently is getting good support from Capcom/Sega/Namco.

I disagree there, I think Sega, Capcom and Namco all exclusive would have a massive impact on GameCube sales.

GameCube does currently have good support from all three companies, but having them exclusively is different. Out of those three companies there aren't THAT many exclusives (quite a few from Capcom but not from the other two). Allot of people who love all three of those companies can get there Sega/Capcom/Namco fix on another system. If they were totally exclusive to GameCube it would be totally different. People who are Sega fans would have to buy a GameCube (incidentally this would bring in allot of sports fans GameCube may be lacking which would help GC sports game sales). Capcom fans would have to buy a GameCube.. so would any fans of Namco. At the same time this would weaken XBox and PS2's lineups and strenghen GameCube's lineup considerably. It would be very possitive news for many people (devs included) to, saying Nintendo is serious here, there not going to let MS and Sony walk all over them. All this would not only convince more people to buy GameCube, but it could convince allot of devs to give GameCube extra support.

I don't think that would happen, but there's not doubt in my mind it would be a huge thing for Nintendo and GameCube.

CaptainHowdy said:
I say ignore the talk, and wait until something is said, as of now its so overtalked and overblown

So true, very few people seem to be taking it seriously (ie. the rumors you posted as a real possibility) and it's spawned some hilarious pictures and lines:

Bigger. Than. Hiroshima.

Hotter. Then. The Sun.

gen001292.gif

lol :LOL: :LOL:

Er... MEGATON isn't the DQ8 announcement for PS2. V-Jump mentioned the MEGATON event in a double spread on the occation of the Cube's one-year anniversary. Moreover they said it would boost Cube sales worldwide... something I don't quite see DQ8 on PS2 doing.

Console exclusive developers sucks. Does anyone seriously want more developers to become exclusive to a single console? The idea is lame and I don't see how it benefits the developers at all: sure it gives the hardware companies a boost, but it just limits their potential game sales.

The only major problem at the moment is there are too many consoles on the market. Two consoles is good for competition. Three consoles is just an annoying pain in the ass. Hopefull MS will eventually realize that losing millions of dollars on the XBox is stupid and they'll just pack up and leave the console market to the real console makers.

Nagorak said:
Console exclusive developers sucks. Does anyone seriously want more developers to become exclusive to a single console? The idea is lame and I don't see how it benefits the developers at all: sure it gives the hardware companies a boost, but it just limits their potential game sales.

The only major problem at the moment is there are too many consoles on the market. Two consoles is good for competition. Three consoles is just an annoying pain in the ass. Hopefull MS will eventually realize that losing millions of dollars on the XBox is stupid and they'll just pack up and leave the console market to the real console makers.

a year ago agreed with you about there being only room for two, but, history has not repeated itself, usually there is two winners, and one clear loser, now, there is no losers, all are a great success, each has thier own audience, and there is plenty of room for them all, I think its because gaming is more popular than it ever was in the past.

Xbox doing well in the US.
Nintendo sales picking up in Japan.
But the biggest winner is definitely still Sony.

Ugh... I remember the huge hype build up about "new incredible Ninetndo move" in the forums... which turned out to be GBA-GG adapter. Which is nice, but not quite the triumphant return of Jesus Christ to terra firma some have hyped it up to be. If "Megaton" is anything similar, then perhaps Nintendo's WMD program is not quite what it was cracked up to be.

Nagorak said:

Games developed from the ground up as exclusive to one console usually have the most impressive optimisations toward that console's video, sound, controls...

Granted that isn't exactly gospel or anything, but it should hold true a lot of the time, especially with PS2 leading the pack install-base wise.

What hype was there before the Cube GBA player? The press event was announced one day in advance and the press released mentioned that a spokesperson would announce a peripheral for GameCube. I never saw anyone hyping it up. Maybe because I wasn't wearing a pair of extra strength Xbox goggles on that particular day....

Whatever happens, even if its nothing, its important to remember that Nintendo has never stated that this would happen. They've not said a word about any kind of megaton announcement, so don't blame them when it disappoints. ;)

cybamerc said:
What hype was there before the Cube GBA player? The press event was announced one day in advance and the press released mentioned that a spokesperson would announce a peripheral for GameCube. I never saw anyone hyping it up. Maybe because I wasn't wearing a pair of extra strength Xbox goggles on that particular day....

some people thought the GBA player was the big announcement, but the big thing isnt supposed to come till mid/late December, if it exists.

Thinking that the announcement might be what the Japanese media has talked about it hardly the same as hyping it up.

Back