MediaTek Helio X30

Discussion in 'Mobile Devices and SoCs' started by Ailuros, Mar 1, 2017.

1. orangpelupa

orangpelupa Elite Bug Hunter
    Legend Veteran

yups! thats why i have commented about it and my skepticism about helio x30 in my first post here but it was moved to x20 thread :(

2. Lodix

Newcomer

The Redmi Note 3 uses the lowest binned X20 SOC ( so less efficient and more power consumption ). And very likely a poor software implementation ( Meizu as an example ).

3. Ailuros

Ailuros Epsilon plus three
    Legend Subscriber

The point was/is that the manufacturing process (for the SoC) isn't by far not the only and the decisive factor for power consumption/battery life.

orangpelupa likes this.
  4. Lodix

Newcomer

Oh, you are right.

5. Rys

Rys PowerVR
    Moderator Veteran Alpha

Fixed to correctly point out that it's 4 USCs, not 6.

tangey likes this.
  6. tangey

Veteran

So all we need to find out now is what Soc was in his head when he typed "six-cluster" :)

7. Ailuros

Legend Subscriber

Helio X40 or who cares? :p I'd really love to see a Mediatek or whatever else high volume lower end smartphone SoC with a Series8XE Plus GPU.

8. Lodix

Newcomer

Maybe a custom version for Meizu (?).

9. tangey

Veteran

Consistent with the above, an eetimes article today on TSMC's 10nm process cites numerous cancellations of design wins for mediatek 10nm soc, which one assumes means X30
    http://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1331504&

10. Ailuros

Legend Subscriber

While ironically the write up is more about who was/is first or in a better position with 10FF (like who cares honestly.....). Mediatek doesn't have any other 10FF SoC ready at the moment, so it hardly can be anything else than the X30.

11. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran Subscriber

The other SoC makers implemented significant boosts on sustainable GPU performance for their high-end SoCs, probably in order to push the headsets into portable VR machines. S835 has been shown rendering VR content while consuming below 3W and Exynos 8995 with a G71MP18/MP20 at rather conservative clocks seems to be aimed at the same purpose. With Helio X30 getting a 4 cluster 7XT, Mediatek decided to keep having a mediocre GPU in it so it can't keep up with the big boys.
    That's okay for Hisilicon because good or bad their SoCs will be used on Huawei phones, but Mediatek needs to sell their SoCs to phone makers.
    By the time it's available, there's a chance Helio X30 will cost more than Snapdragon 820, which may be better than X30 in almost everything but very parallel CPU workloads. Chinese phone manufacturers releasing high-end wannabes may go with S820/821 (Daydream compatible) instead.

12. Ailuros

Legend Subscriber

MTK has always been conservative with GPUs; if they would go full tilt with GPUs also they'll probably lose their cost advantage also (if that still exists with the X30 on 10FF that is....).

Other than than I think you're underestimating the quad cluster 7XT Plus at 800MHz in the X30. You shouldn't really be counting clusters as it's damn misleading with different architectures. At 800MHz it'll give you 205 GFLOPs FP32, while the A10 GPU is at 240+ GFLOPs FP32 and I'm not sure if the latter is a 7XT or a 7XT Plus derivative. Performance should be either on par or slightly higher with an Adreno530.

As for everything else show me if and how much you throttle first ;)

#32 Ailuros, Mar 23, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
    Wishmaster likes this.
  13. mfaisalkemal

Newcomer

Imagination Full Year Results FY 2016-17 page 11.
    chromebook with Helio X30 will be much better compare to intel celeron based especially on graphics processor.

14. mfaisalkemal

Newcomer

15. Ailuros

Legend Subscriber

A high clocked quad T880 is at 6.5 fps, so I don't see anything weird in the Car Chase score; it's rather the tesselation low level test score that is way too low.

16. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran Subscriber

Still behind the latest SoCs from Qualcomm and Samsung, but at least it's not by an embarrassing margin like the previous X "flagship" SoCs from Mediatek.

17. tangey

Veteran

With Apple clearly not licensing 8XT, it would give more weight to the idea that Mediatek is one of the initial licensees that IMG confirmed when announcing Furian.
    And a couple of months later, when they announced the first core, the 8525 they said:-
    Although it doesn't look on paper to be a natural successor to the 7400, it outperforms the 7200, and thus could be used for lower end Mediatek solutions.

18. Ailuros

Legend Subscriber

I think the Meizu 7 Plus with the HelioX30 will be at $530; way too expensive IMHO.

19. mfaisalkemal

Newcomer

The question is why Mali-T880(Midgard architecture) that only have shader tesellation(no fixed function tesselation hardware)
    vs. PowerVR Series 7XT Plus that have fixed function tesselation hardware
    is 3 times superior on Tesselation Offscreen test (Meizu 6 Pro vs Meizu 7 Pro)?

20. Ailuros

Legend Subscriber

No idea but it might be some bottleneck Lord knows where for which the amount of clusters for Rogue GPU IP behaviour is roughly the same: https://gfxbench.com/device.jsp?ben...trum sp9861e (development board, Rogue Lando)

Now I don't know where Lando is clocked at, but it's a two cluster GT7200 and I'd speculate it's clocked somewhere in the =/>500MHz ballpark. Considering it's just a breath lower than a quad cluster GT7400Plus@800MHz I doubt frequency or amount of clusters could make any worthwhile difference in that specific test on Rogue GPUs.