Media Centre no longer required to stream video's to 360

I tried to make it work last week end and failed. It's like before, music & pictures only. It's apparently a mistake from microsoft website and every other site reported the news without checking it themselves.
Of course, I would love to be proven wrong.

Totally awesome! I was worried about having my monstrosity of a power hog computer on just to stream stuff (since its the only one equipped with MCE05.

:D

I tried to make it work last week end and failed. It's like before, music & pictures only. It's apparently a mistake from microsoft website and every other site reported the news without checking it themselves.

What file type are you streaming?

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/11/everywhere.aspx

I doubt it. I mean, the 360 is mentioned specifically right there in the description of the functionality. Are you sure you have BETA 2? It seems this feature was added in that version.

Here's more info.

The one link that shows how to set up the player is broken, figures. I would presume the supported file types were at that link as well. :(

Last edited by a moderator:

From what I've gathered, the 360 dashboard has not really been updated for this, so basically we have the server capabilities, but the client software needs to be updated. I've heard we can expect it in the fall dashboard update.

Some people have got it working I believe, but it still sounds like it has a ways to go before being a true solution. Definately a step in the right direction though.

I couldn't dowload it (US only), but it seems right now they've 'only' embedded the media connect service...

Are there people with plain XP (no MCE) over here who have it working?

Well, I installed wmp 11 beta 2, it detected correctly my xbox360. I can browse perfectly music & pictures but the dashboard offers no visible way to play video files from a non-MCE windows with wmp11 beta2. Playing wmv video files with MCE has been working since the beginning.
What's interesting there is that we're supposed be able to :
- stream video without using some media center edition windows
- use all directshow codecs installed on the system (h264 for example)

<rant>
I guess they'll add it when the ps3 will be out and massively used as a multi-purpose non-castrated media center
</rant>

Well, I installed wmp 11 beta 2, it detected correctly my xbox360. I can browse perfectly music & pictures but the dashboard offers no visible way to play video files from a non-MCE windows with wmp11 beta2. Playing wmv video files with MCE has been working since the beginning.
What's interesting there is that we're supposed be able to :
- stream video without using some media center edition windows
- use all directshow codecs installed on the system (h264 for example)

<rant>
I guess they'll add it when the ps3 will be out and massively used as a multi-purpose non-castrated media center
</rant>

Other playback devices that support video sharing(like DVD players) are reported to work with the new Media Player 11 streaming video capabilities, so it's just a matter of the 360 client needing a software update.

I'm actually looking for a DVD player that supports file sharing. I know there's a few crappy ones out there...

From xb-scene:
I read through the guide (which I had done), until I reached the following:

"It shares Pictures and Music and Videos with XBOX360. The Xbox360 can't see the Videos because the Dashboard Video Blade hasn't been changed to accept the content yet. I was told video blade will be updated in Fall dashboard update."

I can verify that Media Player does indeed stream video. I have a network IO-Data DVD player. I normally have to install some kind of server software like SwissCenter on my PC. However, I can now see the content by setting up sharing my DVD drives like the guide outlines in media player 11. However, IO-DATA already had the video sharing portion in their client.
http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=544400

And here's the guide he refers to:
http://forum.teamxbox.com/showthread.php?t=467029

Why on earth would it need that when it plays video just fine with MCE? The limitation is on the windows side, not the 360.

Its not talking to the MCE service to get video anymore, it seems like its talking to a newer media connect. There must be some difference in the way the 2 different services communicate with the 360 and, in turn, what the 360 is expecting to see from each.

Back