ME3 to be more mass market than ME2

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by MfA, May 5, 2011.

1. MfA

MfA
    Legend

Now I personally don't think they can make this much worse than ME2, but initially they said they would bring back more customization ... and now it's going to be even more of a pure shooter? I don't see how they can make it more RPG lite without just taking out all the conversations ...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-05-04-mass-effect-3-tweaked-for-larger-market

Lets hope World of StarwarsCraft bombs and Bioware's team can find some new home independent of EA.

PS. delay is to add multiplayer?

#1 MfA, May 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2011
  2. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

TOR is actually alot of fun from the pax east playthrough i got to do.

Its dragon age 2 , mass effect 2 which are the real problems

3. MfA

MfA
    Legend

Fun in the short term doesn't necessarily equal long lasting appeal.

4. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

So your saying it doesn't have long lasting appeal ? What would you base that on ? I played the game and i think it was a ton of fun and the story in it was extremely apealing and kept me engadged in the game.

If you don't like it for some reason whatever , the game will do extremely well and it will allow bioware to make tons of crappy games like mass effect 2 and dragon age 2.

SW TOR may be the last great bioware game because the path their single player games are going down is the wrong path

5. MfA

MfA
    Legend

I very clearly did not.

6. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

I'm trying to figure out where you stand because you threw an insult at it from your first post.

7. Gerry

Regular

Anyyyyyyway. Back to ME3. That article has made be slightly depressed. I wasn't a fan of the direction ME2 took over ME, so to hear that it's going to continue along this path is disappointing.

8. green.pixel

Veteran

How is this even possible? lol

How do you know that? It costs like half a billion. They need lots of subs.

9. h0munkulus

Newcomer

After how they butchered the Dragon Age IP I was expecting something similar for Mass Effect. I should have known that the initial reports that ME3 will be closer to ME1 than ME2 were just hollow promises.

I guess we can add Bioware to the List of Studios that EA managed to completely drain of creativity and talent.

10. Brad Grenz

Brad Grenz Philosopher & Poet
    Veteran

I've always been a proponent of the way Mass Effect 2 combined shooter gameplay with a nonlinear RPG structure, but even I was a little worried by that quote. The obvious assumption is they're gonna tack on a multi-player mode of some kind. But then again, it was also a pretty noncommittal corporate ass-covering type statement. "We delayed the game so more people will like it". That could mean anything.

11. MfA

MfA
    Legend

It's meant more to be funny than as an insult ... it's a dual faction game with the same quest structure as WoW and battleground PvP, as Zero Punctuation said ... wow there Bioware, save some innovation for the rest of us. The fact that the gameplay structure is highly WoW-like is orthogonal to it's chances of success (just like it's short term ability to entertain, before repetition sets in).

12. TheAlSpark

TheAlSpark Moderator
    Moderator Legend

I liked ME2 a lot despite the nerfed customization for squad and weapons. I don't understand at all what he means by making it more mass market than it already has become whilst going a little bit back to ME1. If that means ditching the planet scanning in favour of something faster or just better, then well... ok. *shrug*

Anyways, I have three shepards with the different backstory combinations (spacer, earth-born, blah blah blah I can't remember). I just want to get through them all!

13. Scott_Arm

Legend

I'm guessing it means the combat will be faster and twitchier, with enemies that die fast, but in greater numbers. Perhaps more scripted cinematic type of gameplay, in line with what is common in most shooters. I'm sure what I'm saying is pissing a lot of people off.

14. TheAlSpark

TheAlSpark Moderator
    Moderator Legend

:|

Well, if it's scripted like the last level of ME2, that's not that... bad... right? It was a good trick once... The arrival DLC was bloody awful compared to other missions.

15. Laa-Yosh

Laa-Yosh I can has custom title?
    Legend Subscriber

I think it's more about adding single button vaulting, better integrated melee attacks and such; and adding some variety to the chest-high wall issue. They also talked about more active enemies who don't just sit in cover until you mow them down.

16. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

Gameplay aside, any game that costs > $10 million to make is going to be made to appeal to a large audience. So get over it already and just don't play the game. ;) They keep trying to reinvent their games even within series and that tells me there are brains over there pondering how to make games more fun instead of sticking to "traditions".

It's not like ME1 was totally pure unabashed fantastic awesomeness compared to ME2. It was mostly KOTOR (incl endless pointless item drops and boxes) with really buggy realtime combat attached. There are definitely RPGs that do character development (and I don't mean stats) much better than either ME. But I do wish they had expanded upon the planet surface vehicular exploration because that gave the game a much needed escape from the little corridor bases/areas. The orbital ultra simplistic mining thing of ME2 was pretty stupid for sure.

17. joker454

Veteran

I just hope they finally support the 360 gamepad on the pc version this time around.

18. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

Yeah that has been rather strange considering the games don't benefit very much from a KB/mouse.

19. John Reynolds

John Reynolds Ecce homo
    Veteran

I really liked ME2, though the combat was too easy and the set pieces were too obvious (you knew a fight was about to break out due to the sudden proliferation of cover geometry).

20. green.pixel

Veteran

They can make even more mass market-friendly by introducing the "game plays itself" mode like that Mario platformer on the Wii. Maximum marketability, yay!

Btw, hasn't ME1 sold more than ME2, IIRC? That should send them a message that streamlining didn't end too well.

#20 green.pixel, May 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2011