max payne 1. (5 year anniversary)

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Cartoon Corpse, Jul 31, 2006.

1. Cartoon Corpse

Veteran

i read this on the web. along with a suggestion to replay it.

so i did over the weekend.

stunning. a great game. especially compared to a lot of shooters i've played recently (including rogue trooper).

imaginative and beautiful level design. nice sciency and business and penthouse levels. nice snowy outdoor stuff (I like the snow and rain of max paynes), dream/drug sequences

noir dialogue, but done with intelligence, with references to things i have little/no knowledge of (occult books and whatnot).

so i suggest to you, replay this one (i had forgotten so much about the content since my first time).

2. TheAlSpark

TheAlSpark Moderator
    Moderator Legend

Yup, one of my all-time favourite series. :) I loaded it up a couple months back when I finally got it (again, after losing it. :mad: ) as part of a cheap bundle with Mafia.

3. mcsven

Newcomer

Affirmative, did the same thing. Also re-acquired Max Payne 2 and played that. Would seriously like a third installment.

4. Dresden

Dresden Celebrating Mediocrity
    Veteran

Max Payne was the first game I ever played that actually depicted in it's purest form the grittiness of NYC. It also captured the essence of film noir. While it retains it's value is a pinnacle of action gaming, it did borrow heavily from "The Matrix," opening the floodgates for an array of copycats which almost brought the name of slow motion killing to a screeching halt.

Stranglehold, I believe, will restore my faith in 3rd person shooters of this caliber.

5. kyleb

Veteran

I should play it again, I having been holding out for a widescreen hack but I rather doubt that will ever happen.

6. TheAlSpark

TheAlSpark Moderator
    Moderator Legend

Yeah, the only true widescreen version I know of is Max Payne 2 on the Xbox. :( It seems like they "hard-wired" the aspect ratios. Doh!

teh funny! :p

Last I heard, the rights to Max Payne were sold. I can't remember to whom though.

7. Colourless

Colourless Monochrome wench
    Veteran

Max Payne, a better Matrix game than the Matrix games.

8. Blade

Veteran

Max Payne floored me. MP2 impressed me. (being the first big game to use Havok2 physics)

I anticipate a 3rd MP, and I'm dying to play Alan Wake.

9. pegisys

Regular

last I heard there was going to be a max payne 3, but remedy wasn't going to do it, or something like that, but it was still under taketwo. That was last year though so it could have been canned

I think I will play it agian, should be quite nice being able to play it with everything maxed out

10. Davros

Legend

#10 Davros, Aug 1, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2006
  11. _xxx_

Banned

MP1 was nice, though not as good as people always hype it. I don't want to see another one at all actually, I didn't even bother finishing the second one because it was rather crap IMO.

12. Skrying

Skrying S K R Y I N G
    Veteran

First one: Great!

Second: CRAP!

I was so highly dissapointed with the second one. I dont really care if they make another. I'm simply going to wait for Alan Wake to see how that turns out.

13. Sobek

Sobek Locally Operating
    Veteran

[​IMG]

Are you insane?

The first MP was more of a comical approach, the second was a gritty, realistic masterpiece filled to the brim with background and character, not to mention bucketloads of interactivity to boot (Max Payne 2 Mario tribute anyone? :p ).

I just can't see how anyone could consider the second in any way inferior to the first...that seriously boggles me.

14. _xxx_

Banned

To each his own, Sobek. I found the second one not just crap, but embarassing.

15. see colon

see colon All Ham & No Potatos
    Veteran

if i had to pick 1 max payne to take with me on while i was stranded on an island in the south pacific, it would be MP2. gameplay is much the same as the first with the addition of physics and the subtraction of the "run on this razerblade thin blood trail or you die because the game is short and we needed some filler" dream sequences.

16. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

Remedy sold the rights to Take2 after MP2 IIRC

17. kyleb

Veteran

That was one of my favorite moments of the game as I have a real soft spot for psychologically twisted things like that, but then I didn't have much trouble staying on the path and I can see where it would be frustrating if you did.

18. TheAlSpark

TheAlSpark Moderator
    Moderator Legend

me too. I thought it was kinda scary getting into his mind like that and seeing hiss "issues" manifested through this dream-state

19. see colon

see colon All Ham & No Potatos
    Veteran

the first time it was fine, every time after that it felt like filler. i mean, it was basicly the same flashback 4 times, with slight variation.

overall, i still loved max payne, i just enjoyed MP2 more. the dream sequences were just my lest favorite part of the first title.

20. Cartoon Corpse

Veteran

well i don't think they were blood trails. they were brain synapses i think. i like that sort of stuff when thrown in for variety.

i also like the little TV shows. and radio news and background chatter like dogs barking far off. nice ambiance.

are there mod tools with the 2 MP titles? i like the map/level 'look and feel' alot. i like hip penthouses, fancy pants office suites, plus the gritty city (when all are mixed together). the lab areas as well...all sciency.
    the industrial areas too. made you feel your learning a little about steel mills and how they operate. (never been to one personally).