Matrox Parhelia-512 from Impress Watch (Japanese site)

Wow, that's some cooling setup:
matrox_2.jpg

Direct from a translation engine (www.excite.co.jp)

Matrox and first-in-the-world 512bit GPU "Parhelia-512" are announced.
Many new functions, such as -DirectX 9, 10-bit color processing, and Triple Head

Matrox World's first 512bit GPU "Parhelia-512" (PAFIRIA) was announced on は the 14th. A loading card is due to be put on the market from the end of June to the beginning of July. A price is likely to change by 128MB memory loading model to 400 dollars or less.

Although the very big heat sink fan is carried, this is due to be miniaturized with the product version. According to Matrox, it is said smaller than the thing of GeForce4 Ti series that it becomes.
Parhelia-512 are world's first 512bit GPU with a 512-bit memory controller array. 80 million transistors are built in and a maximum of 256MB loading of a 256bit DDR memory is possible. Memory zone width attains to 20 GB/Sec.

Pixel Pipeline At present, a rendering function is the most advanced, the number of pixel pipes is [ 4 and the number of pixel SHIEDA stages per pixel pipe of the number of texture units per 4 pixel ] 5, and the total SHIEDA stage per clock amounts to 36.

Programmable Bar textile Four SHIEDA (version 2.0) is carried and the number of TEKUSERU per clock is set to 64. In DirectX 9, hardware T&L is abolished and serves as the form where this bar textile SHIEDA carries out the emu rate of the T&L instead. The company says that Parhelia-512 demonstrate the performance which exceeds a competition product also with DirectX 8 application.

Moreover, it corresponds to "De Dis placement mapping" similarly supported by DirectX 9. This is technology which is sticking on a polygon the texture which expressed objective unevenness by the shade, and builds unevenness on the surface of a polygon. The thing that irregular geographical feature is done only by sticking it on a plane polygon, using a satellite photograph as a texture if a simple example is given.

A more precise expression is attained in the fewer amount of data, and also it has the feature which can transform a polygon simply and dynamically only by change of a parameter.

The block diagram of a Parhelia core. a transistor count -- the twice of 80 million and Pentium 4 -- near
"16 x Fragment Antialiasing (FAA)" function by 4x4 sampling is carried. This is a function to which extracts only the outline of the picture by which the rendering was carried out and 16 times as many antialiasing as this is applied. The conventional full screen Although anti-aliasing might start even the text on a screen and the text might fade in anti-aliasing (FSAA), in order this is avoidable and also to apply antialiasing locally, there is an advantage that there is little degradation of performance and it ends, by 16x FAA.

Although it is a thing that 16x FAA can be used with about 70% of application according to the company, since Parhelia-512 are also supporting 4x FSAA, when fault comes out by 16x FAA, they can be changed to 4x FSAA.

Moreover, the anti-aliasing function of a text called "Glyph Antialiasing" is also carried. This is the same function as "ClearType" of Windows XP. It is said that Glyph Antialiasing does not almost have the load to CPU as compared with ClearType of software processing.

With a photograph, it is the picture from which the right-hand side photograph extracted only the outline of a left-hand side rendering picture although it was unclear. In Parhelia, antialiasing of 16x is applied only to this outline.

[The comparison table of each main spec. of GPU]

Parhelia-512 GeForce4 Ti4600 RADEON 8500
Pixel pipe 4 4 4
Texture unit 4 2 2
Bar textile pixel
SHIEDA unit (version) 4(2.0) 1(1.1) 1(1.1)
TEKUSERU/clock 64 TEKUSERU / clock 8 TEKUSERU / clock 8 TEKUSERU / clock
Pixel SHIEDA
A stage/pipeline 5 stages / pipeline 2 stages / pipeline 2 stages / pipeline
Total SHIEDA
A stage/clock 36 stages / clock 16 stages / clock 16 stages / clock
Pixel SHIEDA version 1.3 1.3 1.4
N-Patch TESERESHON Correspondence Un-corresponding. Correspondence
The maximum resolution 2,048x1,536 dots 1,600x1,200 dots 1,600x1,200 dots

The frame buffer of each R/G/B is 10 bits, and corresponds to the display of a total of 1 billion colors. This should begin only for the thing of operating levels, such as apparatus for broadcast and medical apparatus, to correspond to a 10-bit display in the present condition, and to correspond at a consumer product. All also of all outputs, such as 2D/3D/DVD/TV, and internal processing are processed by 10 bits.

RAMDAC builds in two 400MHz things and equips two DVI connectors (DualHead-HF function). For the time of an analog output, the time of 2,048x1,536 dots per one display and a digital output is [ the maximum resolution ] 1,600x1,200 dots.

At the time of two-set connection, a screen overlay and hard wear peculiarity RARESHON are possible also for which monitor top, and also a gamma correction can be applied individually. Furthermore, it is being able to apply a gamma correction also to the YUV picture by which the screen overlay's was carried out, and applying also to text antialiasing individually, and six gamma correction processings are performed simultaneously at the maximum.

It is possible to connect a maximum of three sets of displays to a DVI connector by connecting the branch cable of exclusive use (TripleHead function). A digital output is a maximum of two lines. It corresponds also to TV output and can respond to an analog / digital one / digital one, and flexible output composition, such as an analog / analog / TV.

TripleHead not only opens a screen, but corresponds to the panorama display function called "Surround Game." This is a function which displays the usual game screen on a central display, and displays the screen of a horizontal portion on the monitor of the right and left further. Titles, such as "Flight Simulator 2002", "Quake III", "JEDI Knight", "Soldier of Fortune 2", and "Unreal Tournament 3", have expressed correspondence at present.

Although an analog display including the existing article corresponds to a 10-bit display, a digital display serves as a display by 8 bits on the specification. However, for this reason, the display of 10-bit gamma correction processing by 10 bits of false is internally attained also in this case. In addition, it says [ that 10 bits of viewer plug-in are / of "Photoshop" / due to be released, and ] in Matrox.

Mr. Kamran Ahmed of Graphic Products Manager
In advance of this announcement, the explanation meeting for presses by Matrox was held in the Canada embassy on the 13th, and the technical explanation by Mr. Kamran Ahmed of Graphic Products Manager, the demonstration demonstration, etc. were performed.

although this announcement was an announcement of GPU, and I hear that it is not an announcement of a card and it was not clarified for details about actual product spec. etc., if a video memory carries 64-256MB and changes a core clock etc. by the target market -- うい -- things were clarified

In the demonstration, using the demonstration of a fish by which the rendering was carried out to full taking advantage of 4 texture unit, and the De Dis placement mapping, geographical feature was drawn dynamically and Surround Game by three screens etc. was demonstrated.

Incidentally, Parhelia means the natural phenomenon of "幻日." "幻日" is the phenomenon which a solar light is refracted in air and is visible to three, and it is said that the three suns in Parhelia-512 express Performance, Quality, and Feature.

that card is pretty small eh ?

that's a reference board.. i hope they have spiffy flashy red heatsink with pink ramsinks

This card is smaller than my GF3ti200.

The memories are BGA, right?
Now I want someone tell me how increbilly difficult it was to design this PCB using 256bits memory bus and 2 RAMDAC.

The cooler looks like a adapted P3 cooler.

Although it is a thing that 16x FAA can be used with about 70% of application according to the company, since Parhelia-512 are also supporting 4x FSAA, when fault comes out by 16x FAA, they can be changed to 4x FSAA.

I wonder if they really meant to say that... "fault"... hmmm... maybe there are some possible pitfalls with this technique as I suggested in the other tread... :-?

K-

of course it's inevitable

but , they should be able to fix that in future drivers ..

maybe game specific methods , since they say 70% of the software will work "without" fault

but we'll see

Hi Kristof,

according to other sources, the 16x FAA mode is not compatible with each and every game out there. ~80% of games seem to run without any problems, though For the other 20%, Parhelia apparently switches back to a 4x MSAA mode.

hope this helps,
.rb

P.S. Good and critical (as well as German ;) ) preview up: http://www.3dcenter.de/artikel/parhelia/

I wonder if the 20% fails on older games, or newer ones? I would like to hope that at least one of the hardware review sites informs us as to why this is...or what steps are being taken to circumvent this issue.

Anyhow...This is a fantastic looking product...Barring some horrendous performance results, I think I might just have to grab one of these things later on this summer.

DaveBaumann said:
Anyhow...This is a fantastic looking product...

Presently, I'm at a loss - whats so 'fantastic' about this?

Dave Baumann: ahem... I was already looking that your comments were a bit less excited. :) Still, I understand your point of view; you were so excited about 3DLabs P10 technology and of course these two will be main rivals a quite few next months.

Both are above all that we seen so far. Matrox has more tradional way than 3DLabs, but only time shows both good and bad sides.

Personnally as a gamer, rather than a coder or a hardware engineer, I still find the P10 a more exciting product, other than I'm intrigued by the 16xFAA, as I do apprecriate good AA.

God, can you imagine the wife if I was to buy 2 additional montitors just for gaming :) Not that my desk can take it.

as said, 3DLabs P10 and P512 are rivals. So, it's up to consumers which product they choose, IF both are available same time.

many sources are stating that Matrox tries to get gamers cards shipping in the end of June or early July.

If they do that, I think 3DLabs & Creative should horry things up. "for the christmas" would not be enough. Of course, if R300 and NV30 are released in August, it will be exciting turn.

ahh... Let's enjoy the ride. :) Best Summer / Autumn for competition since 1999 coming up.

Both are above all that we seen so far. Matrox has more tradional way than 3DLabs, but only time shows both good and bad sides.

From what I’ve heard so far I think the biggest issue 3Dlabs will have is raw performance, which may be an issue for gaming cards – its going to be tricky to take an architecture as flexible as this and make it perform optimally in the limited gaming environment we have at the moment. So, IMO, the biggest concern for 3Dlabs will be sheer performance, and this will not get answered until we see products.

The other problem we have is that both these products are ‘tweener’ products – they are both .15um and are limited to being half DX9 and half DX8 parts. However, P10’s flexibility should mean that much more can be programmed for it and allow much of the functionality of DX9, possibly the only thing that would prevent it from being fully DX9 compliant is the lack of floating point texture stages.

In terms of performance I would be highly surprised if both these products are not surpassed by NV30 and R300, and they will probably turn up within a few months of Matrox’s part. And timing is going to be a big factor on the perception of this part – if this is ready for release now then it will be an impressive feat, however if this won’t be available until the end of summer and the others are not that far behind then its not quite as impressive.

Another issue is the architecture. Matrox’s part still seems to be mired in fixed functionality, whereas API’s such as OpenGL2 and DX9/10 are more and more moving away from fixed functionality – something that 3Dlab’s part seems a far better starting point for future development; 3Dlabs probably won’t have to completely reinvent their architecture for future revisions, whereas Matrox may well have to, and considering the time it took them to come up with a new gaming architecture how long will it be before they manage another significant architecture change?

Perhaps 3Dlabs have been a little too forward looking in their part, which could impact on performance in the short term, but if you ask me I’d say that parts such as NV30/R300 and onwards are probably going to be moving closer to P10 than they are the fixed function nature that we’ve seen so far.

I dont think P10 will compete with Parhelia.

P10 main target is the the professional market, right?
The price for the 128MB is $890, probably the drivers target is the professional applications and certifications, etc.

But I agree P10 has a lot of potential as a consumer product for 2003.

Back