Matrix Trilogy coming to HD DVD only on May 22!

Ruined

Regular
The HD DVD format gets a major boost May 22 when Warner Home Video releases The Ultimate Matrix Collection and The Complete Matrix Trilogy for $119.99 and $99.99, respectively.

The special editions, which include HD DVD releases of The Matrix, The Matrix Reloaded and The Matrix Revolutions, collectively comprise 8 discs and more than 35 hours of bonus material, in addition to three “Revisitedâ€￾ mini-features.

Both releases include HD DVD’s In-Movie Experience (IME) interactive feature.

http://www.homemediaretailing.com/index.cfm?sec_id=2

HD DVD only in May due to Blu-Ray's BD-J still not being ready!

What does BD-J have to do with a delayed HD-DVD release ?
HD-DVD uses Microsoft iHD, not BD-J (Java-based)...

The delay is on the BD version which is due to BD-J not being ready or as robust as HDi at this stage in the game. Thus the BD version will come at a later date.

$119.99?! Considering you can buy the 10 disc DVD edition for less than $30 delivered (£14.99), I'll have to say that while high def is good, it's not that good (and neither were the last two Matrix movies for that matter).

How long do people think it'll be until we see the reductions from RRP on the new format(s) approach similar levels as DVD? Years?

$119.99?! Considering you can buy the 10 disc DVD edition for less than $30 delivered (£14.99), I'll have to say that while high def is good, it's not that good (and neither were the last two Matrix movies for that matter).

How long do people think it'll be until we see the reductions from RRP on the new format(s) approach similar levels as DVD? Years?

119.99 is MSRP. Amazong/street price will likely be less. With current market penetration and both formats still only accepeted by enthusiasts, studios know they'll pay the premium :)

collectively comprise 8 discs

That's a lot! Now the big question is - will they make it 8 discs for the BluRay release as well, even though they could probably cram them into 5 max? :D

Can't we just get the first one separately?

They can include a poster of Persephone and that about covers what's interesting about 2 and 3.

That's a lot! Now the big question is - will they make it 8 discs for the BluRay release as well, even though they could probably cram them into 5 max? :D

The marketing appeal of multiple discs to the consumer is quite high especially when studios have spent years conditioning consumers "more is better."

So, having 5BR discs vs 8HD DVD discs at the same price wouldn't be the best of ideas.

Maybe they ought to use less compression with the 8 discs presuming they would go for dual layer BR discs. Otherwise quality might suffer? All depends if they use up the 30GB for DL HD DVD I guess.

Maybe they ought to use less compression with the 8 discs presuming they would go for dual layer BR discs. Otherwise quality might suffer? All depends if they use up the 30GB for DL HD DVD I guess.

They'll use the same encode as they did for the HD DVD.....

That's probably why the studios want the same supports for both formats... because encoding can be very expensive or very cheap. If you go for the "cheap" route, you can just, well, encode it, and forget about it. On the other hand, you can take great amount of time to check every encoded frames for artifacts and fix them one by one, and that's expensive.

So I think if anyone goes for the latter way, it's unlikely that they'll do it again for another format unless it's absolutely necessary.

35 hours of extras :?: er.........wow?

Is that including the Animatrix?

If there are a ton of additional scenes, this is going to be AWESOME.

If it's just the same ol, same ol on most "special editions", it will be quite under-whelming.

Back