Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy [PS5, XBSX|S, PC]

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by Shortbread, Jun 13, 2021.

1. Shortbread

Shortbread Island Hopper
    Legend Veteran

Honestly, I have no faith in this game at the moment, but we shall see.

2. Daozang

Veteran Regular

The gameplay looks a bit rough and unpolished, but I thought the story and character aspects were very on point. :)

3. techuse

Regular Newcomer

Disney needs to give the Marvel IP to a different company. The characters look horrendous yet again.

Shortbread likes this.
  4. vspectra

Regular Newcomer

Character designs look great to me, except Starlords haircut. Way better than Avengers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Daozang and rabidrabbit like this.
  5. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

I really liked the character design from the trailer. Which is surprising because I usually despise any kind of adaptation into a game from any Marvel IP.

6. techuse

Regular Newcomer

Starlord, Drax and Gamora look god awful.

7. DSoup

DSoup Series Soup
    Legend Veteran

I wonder if this was a deliberate choice. I assume Starlord looks nothing like Chris Pratt because of the actors likeness contract and if he looks like Chris Pratt then you need him for the dialogue - or a really good sound-a-likes if CP's likeness contract permits even another voice actor be attached to his likeness.

If you're at the point where you're changing the likeness of humans, the CGI ones (Groot and TrashPanda) will look weirder if they are true to the cinema visuals, so you shift the aesthetic for all the characters. I had always assumed this is why none of Marvel's video game characters (Avengers, Spider-Man) look like the movie actors.

milk likes this.
  8. cheapchips

Veteran Newcomer

They can't really win. If they stay close to the film, characters look like bargain supermarket versions of the actors. If they deviate too far people bounce off them looking nothing like their preconceived notions of what the characters should look like.

#8 cheapchips, Jun 14, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
    milk and Johnny Awesome like this.
  9. techuse

Regular Newcomer

They can just draw off the comics. They have some 50 years of source material. There is no excuse other than incompetence for the characters in this and Avengers to look so awful.

Shortbread likes this.
  10. Rootax

Veteran Newcomer

It was hard to watch. The visuals are really weird, some scènes look like first games for ps4/xbo or worse. The hero's voice is horrible and sound so "cheesy", like a parody. Wtf was that...

11. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

its coming to switch also , just announced during the direct.

I bet this is why it looks visually unappealing

12. vspectra

Regular Newcomer

The designs don't look anything like the MCU films and is actually more lifted from the modern comics.

There's classic outfits too, I believe pre-orders just gives an early unlock. But yeah my only beef with the designs is for Starlord's face/hair but he always looked pretty generic in the comics anyway.

[​IMG]

It's a cloud version, so I don't think they would be hampered by Switch hardware.

13. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

So you can only play it when you have internet connection ? The switch has the worse wifi I have experienced since the psp go . I can't even get through a game of mario kart on wifi half the time and its 5 feet from the router

14. vspectra

Regular Newcomer

Yeah, the Switch trailer even says persistent hi-speed internet connection is required.

15. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

well all the more reason for a more powerful switch lol. I gotta be honest I don't know the last time i turned my switch on

16. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran

Honestly the trailer to me ticks all the boxes that make me love the MCU Guardians: lots of action, goofy characters, Taika Waititi style of comedy and 80s covers.

It seems people are cautious about liking this game mostly because of how terrible the Avengers game came out, but they're made by two distinct teams. Avengers was spearheaded by Crystal Dynamics (Tomb Raider) in San Francisco whereas Guardians is being made by Eidos Montreal (Deus EX).

Another thing that's apparently been bothering people is the fact that they're not taking the MCU actors' likeness for the videogames, which is a pretty valid criticism IMO. Both this and the Avengers game have their characters looking like bootleg versions of the actors making the movies. Was that really necessary though? Does Disney have to pay extra to the actors for using their likeness in videogames?

Daozang and London Geezer like this.
  17. Tkumpathenurpahl

Tkumpathenurpahl Oil Monsieur Geezer
    Veteran Newcomer

That was absolutely a concern of mine. I watched the trailer expecting to have the same disdain for it that I have for the shat out heap of chocolate-less Kinder Eggs locked behind card machines that was The Avengers. But the characters and dialogue in this trailer seemed like they might actually be fun.

Still, I'm dubious about the gameplay. We'll see, I suppose ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

18. London Geezer

Legend Subscriber

Of course!

19. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran

Isn't it worth the investment though? It would definitely add immensely to the perception of production values in the game.

20. London Geezer

Legend Subscriber

But you don't know how much some actors may demand for that :) I'd say a Chris Pratt would ask for a sizeable bit of cash. Also, they may just not want to have their face in a game of unknown quality? Dunno.

Silent_Buddha and DSoup like this.