Marketing Next-Gen Consoles [2020] *spawn*

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by Jay, May 7, 2020.

1. Jay

Jay
    Veteran Regular

That's possibly only applicable if it was only about people upgrading. There's new gamers coming in all the time as an example.

I do agree that they've not done a good job of giving people good reason to upgrade to xss or for that matter, xsx either.
    I'm not just talking from XO but also PS4.

XO/1X and PS owners have been given more reasons to upgrade to PS5. Although people will say MS is ok with that as long as you don't sell your xbox. (i don't agree)

London-boy likes this.
  2. Silenti

Regular

Something to consider. MS may be looking to 3rd party to help get people in the service in the short term. Just as with Netflix, in the long term, they will need to produce a lot of their content so as not to be beholden to a 3rd party who may make exorbitant demands or simply refuse to license the content all together in favor of their own service(s) or a exclusive rights going to a competitor.

Netflix got built on a network back catalog and much smaller shows that filled certain niches. Low budget science fiction comes immediately to mind. Later horror. I remember at one point Netflix, paraphrased - from memory - etc, stated "We need to turn ourselves in HBO before HBO becomes us."

How many studios did they purchase? How many more will they initiate and/or purchase? Someone (think it was eastmen) suggested that MS's goal is to launch a AA/AAA game every 2 months on the service. They can for a few years and then much of the 3rd party is not as necessary any longer. Assuming, of course, quality titles. Where will MS's 1st party catalog be in 5 years?

AzBat likes this.
  3. DSoup

DSoup meh
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Sorry no, the spreadsheet is lacking so many vital datapoints it's not helpful. You can chose to ignore me, but don't try to convince me the spreadsheet is remotely representative :nope:

If you watch the YouTube discussion, paying particular attentions to the comments by an actual dev with titles in GamePass, who is acknowledges he is skating real close to NDA issues by commenting, you'll learn some useful information. But not enough to make your spreadsheet useful because the actual costs aren't known.

There will certainly be a number of people who don't own an Xbox One (or PS4) interested in the new Xbox Series S but there's no evidence to suggest this is going to be a massive number, i.e. it's not like the overall console user base is growing massively every generation to suggest that there is appreciable new growth. I'd speculate that anybody thinking of buying an Xbox after Series S/X launch, are also probably considering getting a cheap second-hand Xbox One/S/X from somebody who is upgrading. What is motivating genuine new persons to the Xbox ecosystem buying a Series S then they hadn't considered buying the more affordable One S for years and years? What's is the purchasing catalyst?

The same is true for PS5. That does have exclusives but why would Horizon 2 and Spider-man Miles Morales appeal on PS5 when those previous games did not on the relatively cheap PS4? :???:

4. Jay

Jay
    Veteran Regular

Reminds me of the discussion, how can GTA5 keep selling so much years after release. Obviously the people who wanted it would've bought it when it came out.

milk and AzBat like this.
  5. TheAlSpark

TheAlSpark Moderator
    Moderator Legend

Skyrim shows graphics aren't the end-all-be-all. :p

/flees

anyways

BRiT likes this.
  6. London-boy

London-boy Shifty's daddy
    Legend Subscriber

One humongous factor that the spreadsheet and everyone else seems to have forgotten about is that Netflix has over the years amassed studios and producers who can make exclusive Netflix content, which is why a lot of people pet for the service.

Now, we are assuming that MS will want to do the same, as it does make some sense.

BUT. Let’s not forget that Netflix is available on literally every platform that works on electricity. You sign up, and you can watch on your TV, Phone, PS4, Xbox, PC.

If MS want to have their own fabulous exclusive games for Gamepass then they are already losing a huge chunk of people who have PlayStation platforms. And there is a whole lot of them, 120 million on PS4 and whatever number the PS5 can muster. There is a lot of actual gamers who have Sony platforms and asking them to buy a £400 Xbox or a PC is NOT the same as signing up for Netflix and play content on whichever device we already have.

milk, TheAlSpark and DSoup like this.
  7. BRiT

BRiT Verified (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha

Do none of them own Android or Apple Tablets?

You do know that Microsoft's xCloud platform will be a part of Xbox Game Pass in September, right?

AzBat likes this.
  8. DSoup

DSoup meh

Some will. Do they also own game controllers? Streaming removes that vital console barrier to entry but you are going to struggle without a good controller. Even if xCloud offers one of those touch-based controller interface, you can use it but you probably won't enjoy it.

milk likes this.
  9. BRiT

BRiT Verified (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha

Yes they all do. They can pair their existing DS4 controller with their Android tablet using BlueTooth or wired USB.

{ This is LondonBoys set of 120+ million Playstation 4 console owners, which all have BlueTooth controllers. }

AzBat and DSoup like this.
  10. London-boy

Legend Subscriber

Not really comparable to gaming on actual platforms, is it? Look at Stadia and that mess.

milk likes this.
  11. DSoup

DSoup meh

I thought that only the Xbox controller was officially supported by xCloud. That was the case at one point.

12. BRiT

BRiT Verified (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha

If they want the cheapest way in, they'll make due.

This was more to point out that MS is already aiming for part of that market you focused on.

AzBat likes this.
  13. London-boy

Legend Subscriber

Sorry but they’re not going to convince people that they have the “best games” when they’re playing on their phones or iPads.

I say, make it available on Sony platforms and we’re all happy ;)

milk likes this.
  14. BRiT

BRiT Verified (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha

I think there's some interviews already mentioning how Nintendo and Sony may not allow that.

AzBat likes this.
  15. Daozang

Veteran Regular

I bet gears will look almost photoreal displayed on a 4 inch android phone using x cloud.:p

tuna and London-boy like this.
  16. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk
    Legend Regular Subscriber

XCloud will be on laptops and PC as well. It’s not limited to small mobile devices.

17. DSoup

DSoup meh

Just like the xCloud's long-standing competition so this is not a differentiator that will grant xCloud commercial success.

Daozang and London-boy like this.
  18. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk
    Legend Regular Subscriber

no, there are no guarantees. But it doesn't make the value proposition worse by including it.

PSman1700, disco_, AzBat and 2 others like this.
  19. PSman1700

Veteran Newcomer

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...Jj8EORS4T36SJmLyN40sj86dcHNQovSpCeVVO8Wsn34Ww

''Microsoft is having a good time on Steam right now''

''This all ties in with the idea that Xbox is pushing more than the Series X console. As Oli argued following Microsoft's Xbox Series X reveal event, Microsoft's message is as much about selling Xbox Game Pass as it is selling its new console - perhaps more so. Well, even away from the console and Xbox Game Pass debate, it looks like Microsoft is already enjoying success on Steam.''

I understand Sony wants in on Steam also with their games.

20. disco_

Newcomer

Maybe the people who wait a few years before jumping into a new gen? Basically the people who picked up a ps4/xbone last year on black friday.