Mark Cerny "The Road to PS4"

In all due respect mate, who cares about sony trying to reduce its costs?? Unless you are a sony shareholder it shouldnt matter to you, as gaming fans and tech fans surely we would want the best tech at a reasonable price point. Sonys margins are of no consequence to us, would you really want to get a weaker console so sony could cream more money off the top?? :/

Besides the console has been announced already and we pretty much got more than we hoped for. .amen to that :)
Who? The people who don't buy a system @399$ ;) there are a lot of them.
Indeed Sony margins (or loss) are not really our business though the company has to be healthy to remain competitive. I read this new about Google supposedly working on a console, Apple designed a pad, etc. Still in the air but competition could really be coming (on top of MSFT).

If Sony has more money it can see secure more exclusives from third party studio, its own first party studiohave more funding, etc. It can get price lower sooner (and it did not hurt MSFT with the 360 for example).

Etc, Cerny looks like quite the enthusiast to me, I hope he has proper path toward price reduction that is all. Playing poker and having a friend pretty good at it, it looks a bit like an all in from Sony, sometime it can be read as sign of weakness.

Anyway I would let the match unwind before giving the "good points".
-------------

Patsu I've nothing against the guy quite the contrary though who he is and what he does as nothing to do with some reaction here. There are a bunch of mostly unknown genius developers, hardware designers, etc. I don't think you have to cover some people excess of enthusiasm, it is not a crime.

Who? The people who don't buy a system @399$ ;) there are a lot of them.
Indeed Sony margins (or loss) are not really our business though the company has to be healthy to remain competitive. I read this new about Google supposedly working on a console, Apple designed a pad, etc. Still in the air but competition could really be coming (on top of MSFT).

If Sony has more money it can see secure more exclusives from third party studio, its own first party studiohave more funding, etc. It can get price lower sooner (and it did not hurt MSFT with the 360 for example).

Etc, Cerny looks like quite the enthusiast to me, I hope he has proper path toward price reduction that is all. Playing poker and having a friend pretty good at it, it looks a bit like an all in from Sony, sometime it can be read as sign of weakness.

Anyway I would let the match unwind before giving the "good points".
-------------

Patsu I've nothing against the guy quite the contrary though who he is and what he does as nothing to do with some reaction here. There are a bunch of mostly unknown genius developers, hardware designers, etc. I don't think you have to cover some people excess of enthusiasm, it is not a crime.

Yea we want the game consoles to make the manufacturers a bit of profit..it benefits us in long run, not too much though :)

I like cerny, hes a gamer and game dev first and foremost, as for going all in, I dont think so, they seemed to balanced the system out well for 4gb of gddr5, then got one hell of a lucky break late in the game allowing them to double the ram..

Someone linked a source a few pages back that a foundery has a bespoke order in for gddr5 at 2/3 the costs from next year or something...might be elpida :/

Plus nothing inside is ground breaking new tech, like blueray, cell, xenos etc except the huge amount of ram.
We are dealing with a SOC for the first time straight out of the blocks, with 20nm probably 18 months away from ramping up sony could certainly cut costs pretty quickly.

In all due respect mate, who cares about sony trying to reduce its costs??

You are forgetting who the primary users of this forum are. As a dev, I care very deeply about market size, as it dictates how well my games can possibly sell. And whether the console will sell for $200 or $400 (both unlikely extremes) in two years has very real implications on how many of them will be sold and how large the market will be when the projects started today will be finished.

I am watching it as I am writing this and I didn't know he programmed Wizardry. It's pretty curious he is using a Vaio.

He said he would love Sony's impact to match to Nintendo's in years to come. Not an easy task if you ask me. They are going to need lots of software and some kind of mascot representing the company, imho.

I liked the part where he talks about how development changed over the years, marketing and stuff.

Thanks for sharing

I am watching it as I am writing this and I didn't know he programmed Wizardry. It's pretty curious he is using a Vaio.

The Vaio was explained during his terrible introduction which was cut from the posted video (thankfully). Its not his, it was a gift from Sony to the one of the hosts.

He said he would love Sony's impact to match to Nintendo's in years to come. Not an easy task if you ask me. They are going to need lots of software and some kind of mascot representing the company, imho.

He didn't actually say he wanted it to match Nintendo's. He mentioned a friend of his who would discuss Nintendo's impact on the industry over the last 30 years. Then he mentioned that he's only be in for 20 or so years and that he hopes in the coming decades his friend (that he mentioned earlier) would also tell people about the impact he and the "3 Amigos" have had on the industry. He made no direct comparison to Nintendo from what I can tell (despite some misleading article titles on various websites to the contrary).

I liked the part where he talks about how development changed over the years, marketing and stuff.

Thanks for sharing

Those at B3D will also appreciate the thinly veiled digs at the Xbox 360, Xbox One, and Wii U system design for using eDRAM. Though honestly, developers have been so used to it for 8 years with the 360 as the lead platform for most games, I don't think they mind that much.

Those at B3D will also appreciate the thinly veiled digs at the Xbox 360, Xbox One, and Wii U system design for using eDRAM. ;)

I think there are those on B3D and elsewhere that may perceive digs at those consoles just simply because he mentioned another architecture they were considering (along with why they considered it and its strengths and weaknesses). Those comments didn't look anything like veiled digs to me. But maybe that's just me and being tired of seeing everything turn into a Console Wars comparison of some sort, removing the chance for any meaningful discussion (meaningful discussion amongst those in a position to do so, with me just reading it intently).

I think there are those on B3D and elsewhere that may perceive digs at those consoles just simply because he mentioned another architecture they were considering (along with why they considered and its strengths and weaknesses). They comments didn't look anything like veiled digs to me. But maybe that's just me.

Maybe just public atonements then.

It sounds like they did take the on-die eDRAM into consideration.

I haven't seen mention of a bulk 28nm product with on-die eDRAM, however. I wonder if they were considering a process other than 28nm. That might have lasted up until they got indications about AMD bailing on PD-SOI.

You are forgetting who the primary users of this forum are. As a dev, I care very deeply about market size, as it dictates how well my games can possibly sell. And whether the console will sell for $200 or $400 (both unlikely extremes) in two years has very real implications on how many of them will be sold and how large the market will be when the projects started today will be finished.

Your missing the point im trying to make, $399 is actually pretty spot on when it comes to pricing next gen consoles, the price of the console is not in dispute-this thing will sell.

If sony chopped the components down to save money it would be extremely unlikely it would be passed on to consumers..they would use the savings to increase margins.

End result being sony makes more profit= game devs get less resources to use= games look/play worse=customers get a rawer deal=customers go buy another more compelling alternative. ..likely for more cash ;)

Once we know the price is very competitive and reasonable $399/£350..and the specifications are more than we hoped..why do we want to back track and reminiss for something worse :/

Besides speculation on what would have been sonys best business decision instead of what they are doing now is outside the realms of this thread.

Yea we want the game consoles to make the manufacturers a bit of profit..it benefits us in long run, not too much though :)

I like cerny, hes a gamer and game dev first and foremost, as for going all in, I dont think so, they seemed to balanced the system out well for 4gb of gddr5, then got one hell of a lucky break late in the game allowing them to double the ram..

Someone linked a source a few pages back that a foundery has a bespoke order in for gddr5 at 2/3 the costs from next year or something...might be elpida :/

Plus nothing inside is ground breaking new tech, like blueray, cell, xenos etc except the huge amount of ram.
We are dealing with a SOC for the first time straight out of the blocks, with 20nm probably 18 months away from ramping up sony could certainly cut costs pretty quickly.

I think it will interesting to see how supply limited these new machines are.... There are rumors of yield issues with XB1 but as you stated the overall design of PS4 is straight forward, they should be able to ramp up production fairly quickly. Tie in the comments from Sony corporate about the number of titles planned at or new launch and one can infer that they intend to have a fairly decent install base rather quickly.....

Your missing the point im trying to make, $399 is actually pretty spot on when it comes to pricing next gen consoles, the price of the console is not in dispute-this thing will sell.

I don't think you understood the point of the post you originally replied to. "Cost reduction" in this context doesn't usually mean reducing costs now, it means reducing costs when new processes become available. As in, two years from now, will PS4 still sell at 399? If yes, it will probably not be all that successful. The main drawback of GDDR5 now is that it requires a lot of edge on the chip. This means that the PS4 chip might not cost-reduce all that well.

Rather an uninteresting vid IMO. It's 80% Cerny bio. The only take-home info is that they are favouring devs and have been soliciting them for design decisions. And of course the headline grabbing 1TB/s eDRAM option, wherein the capacity isn't described so it's a worthless comparison to other eDRAM based systems.

I don't think you understood the point of the post you originally replied to. "Cost reduction" in this context doesn't usually mean reducing costs now, it means reducing costs when new processes become available. As in, two years from now, will PS4 still sell at 399? If yes, it will probably not be all that successful. The main drawback of GDDR5 now is that it requires a lot of edge on the chip. This means that the PS4 chip might not cost-reduce all that well.

That might reflect pessimism about the frequency of node shrinks. If they don't expect to have as many, why sweat the loss of a node that might not happen?
The time delay and the GDDR5 downclock may also provide for a combination of physical improvements over time for compacting the PHY and potentially putting things on-package with a variation of the interface that reduces pad requirements.

Rather an uninteresting vid IMO. It's 80% Cerny bio. The only take-home info is that they are favouring devs and have been soliciting them for design decisions. And of course the headline grabbing 1TB/s eDRAM option, wherein the capacity isn't described so it's a worthless comparison to other eDRAM based systems.
They could have also shied away from the manufacturing challenges of using eDRAM and were unwilling to contemplate a big SRAM like Microsoft did.
If they were contemplating a mainline x86 core on SOI for a time, they might have had a direction to take that could have included the high-speed eDRAM that we know scales to 32nm, but then they would have seen what a pain it would have been to use it before AMD just gave up on the whole idea.

Yeah but you know it' still nice to hear him talk about his work.
It might not be particularly enlightening but to me it's still better than read Yerli self evident truths or Molynuex absurd claims abut Curiosity ;)

I don't think it's that boring. I mean, it's one thing to guess that the PS3 was a screw up, it's another to publicly admit it more or less (reading in between the lines, it's not that hard to see).

Technical aspects of decisions can always be easily derived, having someone directly involved telling you XYZ is rare to come by.

Heh heh, didn't I summarize the video for you in the first page ? :runaway:

Something, something...

As a result, I have this great big bag of money with no supervision whatsoever.

Blah.

It's from a chapter of his upcoming Playstation book.

The Universal executives who gave him the money are probably sulking as we speak despite the $$$ from Cerny's involvement.

IT is indeed a great launch price, it is also imo a great hardware. I was not not going by crazy specs when we were speculating about what manufacturers could, the ps4 is indeed more than I was expecting (more what I though were sane for Sony). It looks like the best system ever with regard to how it is balanced and the ease of development.
The issue is how much Sony losses, I do read a lot of people (usually quite a bit on the Sony side) trying to pass the use of GDDR5 as not having such an impact on price, etc.
With 4GB of GDDR5, so 16 chips of 2Gb Sony were already spending quite some more money on ram than MSFT. Now it turned out that whereas there was no official roadmap wrt GDDR5 past those 2 Gb (I remember discussing that with Alstrong a few time as I could not acknowledge that GDDR5 would not follow suit to DDR3/4 wrt to chip capacity) Sony could get its end on 4Gb memory chip. Though I don't expect those chips to be cheaper than the 2 Gb, I would think actually a tad more expensive.
If the chip scale well on @22m, starting ~300mm^2, Sony may face issue to fit a 256 bit bus.
Salvaging there chip a bit and having a 192 bit they could have end with a chip may be the size of Bonaire on the next process, that along 6 memory chips if the rumor about 8Gb memory is true. Also lower power profile, imo a great piece to have possibly quite early in this gen.
Then simply a 256 bit bus vs 192 bit one, 6 vs 8GB, be it for power consumption or costs, it is a nice saving. Sony doesn't have kinect but its tech has merits on its own, I never tried it but it is incredibly precise, the went as far as integrating a light bulb on the controller only to "cut" the Eye Toy.

But at the bottom I think that 8GB doesn't make sense for Sony, on the contrary of MSFT they don't have an OS with declining share and another they have a tough to establish (understatement of the day... :LOL: ) to push to the costumers. Imo it is a useless expense.
Then there is the impact on perfs and I think it would not change much.
If sony chopped the components down to save money it would be extremely unlikely it would be passed on to consumers..they would use the savings to increase margins.
I think that at first they won't make money I would be surprised if they would have done even with the (reasonable) cuts they could have done. Whatever they saved could have been put into competing for more share and their main tool could have been a price advantage.
End result being sony makes more profit= game devs get less resources to use= games look/play worse=customers get a rawer deal=customers go buy another more compelling alternative. ..likely for more cash ;)
No offense but that is geeky BS not what drives the mass market, what if the new kinect is a hit? Or the service provided by MSFT are really impressive (especially in US)? Or if their cloud allow for some conveniences for users and publishers (not even speaking of more advance used of the cloud)? Sony will have to fund a conter part, MSFT has plenty of resources already deployed and most likely quite some free "cycles". Sony now requires money for MP, what if lot of its user base (the non vocal ones, numerous) are pissed off at it? What if actually for the price MSFT service is better? Sony will have to give more games for free to make up for it (losing more money). Or simply looking at games, well lesser budgets or less games from their first party studios.

MSFT has put a lot of though in the software architecture of their system from the cloud integration to more relevant what we were discussing earlier (hypothetical though) they can port their virtual machine to a different architectures allow for more saving than your average shrink? No to mention MSFT still pretty deep pocket, Sony goes better but they still have some road to go before qualify as healthy.

At the end of the day, I don't see how something like "we push 200x400 extra pixels" is a massive selling point. Actually on the contrary to perceptions (of the relatives strengths of the ps360) the 360 should lead significantly over the ps3 (in sales), it doesn't so there were other factors (exclusive, free mp, price, brd, brand perception, etc.)
Once we know the price is very competitive and reasonable $399/£350..and the specifications are more than we hoped..why do we want to back track and reminiss for something worse :/
--------------------------------
Besides speculation on what would have been sonys best business decision instead of what they are doing now is outside the realms of this thread.
Because as I pointed whereas Cerny indeed seems to be a great guy on more than one regard, people were looking at him as he already had won this round for Sony, which is quite a stretch. From there if not to make my point but at least exemplify it, I had to go through various considerations that encompass more than one aspect, some of which could look OT.

I don't think it is, Cerny as I said most likely is a great guy but I would wait to see how its arbitration for the system fares before having some people like cheerleaders in awe in front of a charming quarter back. I said earlier that I'm not sure he is a visionary like KK was though I think it share some of its traits: it looks to be quite an enthusiast, KK was dreaming of hardware, he seems he was focused on software, ultimately they both went with pretty ambitious hardware to achieve vision. Like for KK I hope his enthusiasm doesn't have pushed to not look at the market as a whole (passing on the potential of Eye Toy), may be disregarding the saving in costs to have more room to sustain a long war, etc.
So completely on topic, as KK I hope his enthusiast won't have cut hin from more down to earth considerations.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought it was interesting that he commented on the GPU planning for PS3; I know the rumor that a GPU was an after thought has been dispelled here a few times but his talk is the first time I have heard someone who was there say something which shoots the rumor down. I also thought it was amazing how narrow the thought process was surrounding Cell, you can begin to see how it happened......

I don't think it's that boring. I mean, it's one thing to guess that the PS3 was a screw up, it's another to publicly admit it more or less (reading in between the lines, it's not that hard to see).

Technical aspects of decisions can always be easily derived, having someone directly involved telling you XYZ is rare to come by.
I finally managed to watch the whole video and it was quite interesting. I also got from his words that they want to make the PS4 more like the PS1 than any other machine they created afterwards.

The most exciting architectural decisions have to do with the GPU, which can perform some interesting tasks. I wonder what he meant by Raytracing audio on the GPU.

Back